aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Doesn't Exist... Discuss?

Ross

i think in relation to size the quality of aberdeen bands to glasgow bands is outstanding. i certainly think there are bands that are just as good and better than julia 13 and aereogramme(though aereogramme are indeed mighty). i don't think this argument is about bemoaning out plight or selling out or any of that other twaddle that the detractors have been spouting. i think it's just about having a little bit of pride in what people want to do in this small city that some of us actually enjoy living in. why the fuck should anyone have to move from their home to be part of a 'cool' scene? i think aberdeen has just as much right to be considered a musical city as glasgow, edinburgh, liverpool, manchester and certainly as much right as newport and cardiff(well done you named two bands who've 'made it' from there you're the big winner ain't ya). i think aberdeen and aberdonians should be damned proud of bands like the needles, politik, le reno amps, maple,eric euan, my minds weapon, masamune, hookers green no1, filthpact, sidca, and countless countless others who have worked hard to create brilliant inventive music that they and others believe in and who have done so to a standard just as high as anywhere else in the country and in most cases exceeding it.

fuck the nme, and fuck anyone who'd rather sit on their arse complaining about what they perceive as a lack of acheivement rather than getting off it and creating something to be proud of like the rest of us have done.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fuck the nme' date=' and fuck anyone who'd rather sit on their arse complaining about what they perceive as a lack of acheivement rather than getting off it and creating something to be proud of like the rest of us have done.[/quote']

I think a lot of people who are saying that the standard isn't high and the level of achievement isn't high are people who are involved in bands etc and have created things to be proud of, they're just realistic about the Aberdeeen scene. I'm very proud of what I've achieved but I still know it isn't much in real terms.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Neubeatz

Well Well Well, the thread is turning to a "drones of compliance" vs "cool dudes" battle,

This is so predictable, and a pointer to the success of the major labels up to now, but there are kids out there that laugh at this type of thread and dont conform to either ideal, they do their own thing, and arent really interested in the types of "20thCentury" culture that is being argued about here,

You see they have a vision of the future, and it doesnt involve the crass, crap, backbiting, bitching, corruption, and old worlde attitude of their grandparents, they stick their fingers up at this,

"20th Century Music biz is dead" four years ago.

Xployt, Xployt, Xployt!

Oh, and there are a couple of guys that work at the meat factory in Porty that have sold more records worldwide than all of the bands mentioned from Aberdeen so far in the thread.

Who the fox cares about that here though??? its as if , "Aberdeen doesnt exist"...:)

why the fuck should anyone have to move from their home to be part of a 'cool' scene?

maybe you should ask The Needles that question' date=' i believe Le Reno Amps are down in Glasgow now too, why don't you get their opinions?;)

i think aberdeen has just as much right to be considered a musical city as glasgow, edinburgh, liverpool, manchester and certainly as much right as newport and cardiff(well done you named two bands who've 'made it' from there you're the big winner ain't ya)

do i become an even bigger winner if i mentioned Badfinger, The Alarm and John Cale then?;)

Oh' date=' and there are a couple of guys that work at the meat factory in Porty that have sold more records worldwide than all of the bands mentioned from Aberdeen so far in the thread[/quote']

why they not touring the world instead of working in a meat factory in Portlethen?;)

Guest Neubeatz
why they not touring the world instead of working in a meat factory in Portlethen?

You would have to ask them about that Flossie, they dont speak to me coz I'm too alt 4 them...;)

But the guy that runs the label that they are signed to certainly does/has toured the world.

He's also sold even more records than the afore mentioned duo,!!!

But fuck this, Im not blowing other fuckers horns for them,

The whole local and national scene is corrupt and up its own arse, the hangers on make me want to shit down their throats with their facetious superciliousness.

Its not just Aberdeen,

You would have to ask them about that Flossie' date=' they dont speak to me coz I'm too alt 4 them...;)

But the guy that runs the label that they are signed to certainly does/has toured the world.

He's also sold even more records than the afore mentioned duo,!!!

But fuck this, Im not blowing other fuckers horns for them,

The whole local and national scene is corrupt and up its own arse, the hangers on make me want to shit down their throats with their facetious superciliousness.

Its not just Aberdeen,[/quote']

The hangers ons are the fans aren't they, you have the band and their management, and the fans ?

Cheers

Stuart

On the whole ''you need to be based in Glasgow to get anywhere'' issue

Im in a band that with all due respect has had at the same amount if not more reveiws than either El Nero Ramps or The Needles and almost all of them have been very positive. We also have played some pretty big gigs out of Aberdeen, had our records nationally distributed (Yes you could get our stuff in proper shops in Soho and on Oxford Street), been on MTV, been all over Radio 1, played at festivals in Europe and America and been acclaimed as the most ''New York style band on the planet'' by a respected alternative New York DJ. There's all the usual record company and music publisher ''interest'' and bullshit (we obviously shun that) BUT THEN>> erm surely NONE of this is actually possible IF WE ARE NOT HIP WEEGIES ......we are just the un-hip scum from Aberdeen!!! Fucks sake wise up min! *in the best Tillydrone impersonation I can do*

There is more cool stuff happening to us in the future but we have no intentions of running along to Glasgow or Liverpool *insert ANY well known musical city* as an attempt to suck the tits of someone elses success.

Im not saying we are in any way better in any way than said bands who have moved to Glasgow either...good luck to them cos I dig both bands but moving to weegieville is more likely to do with Uni comitments/dayjobs/girlfriends than an attempt at scoring hipster points with the media anyway.

So my point is........if you are quite good at what you do and make some effort to get about a bit it matters not a fuck where you are based so long as you have the internet, current passports and at least one of you can drive a van.

Theres plently of shit bands in Glasgow as well as very good ones, but the fact that they are weegies will never in itself make a bad band into a good one. The NME might tell you they are good one week....but its in the bin the day afetr so who cares.

Just look at Josephine....they re-located to the London scene (under a previous name)....fuck all happened....then to Glasgow (with the new name)....still fuck all....good band, zero success, but nothing to do with the location cos if it were, they would be huge no question about it.

Location Location Location....bollocks.

ABERDEEN DOES EXIST JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TOWN/CITY despite lazy journalism. It what you do that counts I think.

Over and out.

Oppose everything.

Etc.

Guest Neubeatz
On the whole ''you need to be based in Glasgow to get anywhere'' issue

Just look at Josephine....they re-located to the London scene (under a previous name)....fuck all happened....then to Glasgow (with the new name)....still fuck all....good band' date=' zero success, but nothing to do with the location cos if it were, they would be huge no question about it.

Etc.[/quote']

Stephen.....

They're just jealous cos they're English.

I still have framed on my wall the SOUNDS cover that boasts "IN ABERDEEN NO-ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM" which reported on the Siouxsie and the Banshees gig at the Capitol where two of the band quit an hour before the gig. Think it was the first and last time the city ever got mentioned in Sounds.

Guest stuartmaxwell

to be honest

if the scene is that great why does nobody go to shows?

if say, seafood were to play drakes (big band ran quite high in the 90s) there would be 20 people there-MAX

they practically sold out the barfly recently

yes glasgow is bigger, yes glasgow is better, why?because people actually get off their arses and go to support live music

up in the deen its mainly chums of local bands, and/or drakes regulars who pop along to drakes

it took me a while to see it but abdn is piss poor in comparison, every gig i have been to has been pretty damn busy

They're just jealous cos they're English.

I still have framed on my wall the SOUNDS cover that boasts "IN ABERDEEN NO-ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM" which reported on the Siouxsie and the Banshees gig at the Capitol where two of the band quit an hour before the gig. Think it was the first and last time the city ever got mentioned in Sounds.

I was at that one....the Cure were the support, and Robert Smith joined the remaining Banshees for a long version of the Lord's Prayer. The 2 Banshees who quit were supposed to have swapped one of the band's guitars for a Banshees badge, with a fan outside the Capitol!!

why they not touring the world instead of working in a meat factory in Portlethen?;)

The duo I mentioned earlier have turned down several offers to tour the US and europe, mainly because they have a life and a 13 year old daughter. They've consistently refused to go to London for record deals and to tour because they're happy touring Scotland and playing in Cyprus during the summer. They've sold thousands of records in the last few years but they're don't go into the charts because they never bar code them...they're just not interested in that.

Does that make them sell outs?

to be honest

if the scene is that great why does nobody go to shows?

if say' date=' seafood were to play drakes (big band ran quite high in the 90s) there would be 20 people there-MAX

they practically sold out the barfly recently

yes glasgow is bigger, yes glasgow is better, why?because people actually get off their arses and go to support live music

up in the deen its mainly chums of local bands, and/or drakes regulars who pop along to drakes

it took me a while to see it but abdn is piss poor in comparison, every gig i have been to has been pretty damn busy[/quote']

agreed

but I dont reckon anyone in Aberdeen needs to start having a geographical inferiority complex as its all relative > Aberdeen is generally less cool than Glasgow > Glasgow is generally less cool than New York etc

lazy journalistic generalisations conforming to this weeks dull fashion agenda should only be taken for what they are

any decent bands (who are willing to travel sometimes) despite their geographic position can rest easy that if they are good enough they will proliferate despite the current NME aganda to pigeon hole all new music as originating in a specific scene and therefor seemingly marginalise everything outwith that

or something

dont read too much into journalism

it all goes in the bin