aberdeen-music

The music scene

kitteh

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail
Anyway i think you'll find Fugazi are classed as emo' date=' they were one of the first bands to be called that. [/quote']

Post hardcore yes. Emo, no.

what's the difference between those bands and emo bands?

let's just assume you think My Minds Weapon are "emo"..now' date=' let's look at the fact that their lead guitarist is undeniably better at playing the guitar than Kurt Cobain ever was, let's look at the fact that their bassist is most likely better than Krist Novoselic is/was...fair enough, Dave Grohl may be better than their drummer (i know nothing about drums, they both nail the fuck out of said drumkits however) - but one person doesn't constitute the whole band. Real music? On the basis of talent, I'd say MMW were more of a band than Nirvana anyday.

now, stop with this fucking stupid "emo bands are rubbish and they should play real music!" nonsense, i'm bored to fucking tears of hearing people slag emo bands off, only to profess a love for a band(s) that are actually worse in terms of talent.[/quote']

I would constitute real music to be bands that have something new to the scene and dont bore me with samey sounds. Its not about what you can do with your instruments hell anyone can do that if they put their mind to it. Its all about doing something constructive with the talent you have. Emo does none of that for me. Its boring musically thats why at the drive in split up as they were bored with the sound

Come on man if you are going to argue at least pretend you know what you are talking about please.

Please can you tell me then why the uscdb (american cd database) defined their album "end hits" as punk then?

Thats where everyone gets their id3 tagging from. They wrong too?

i'm not missing your point. i'm just saying' date=' i value creativity as a much greater gift than technical ability. anyway, i liked everything kurt cobain played on a guitar, it all sounded great to me. some of dan's guitar playing just sounds stupid, unnecessary and overly extravagant, like a tutorial excersise.[/quote']

You are spot on, i've seen my minds weapon and to be honest it makes me cringe.

Just a kiddies pop band, nothing more, nothing less.

Nirvana on the other hand were excellent

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Haha what a load of shit. "oh i hate emo it must be shite" God how many threads need to go on like this?? What i find funny is' date=' all you "metal heads" or whatever say "all emo kids do is moan" but then at the same time all you seem to do is moan about them. How you can sit there and say all emo kids do is moan is beyond me cause its all you do!!! "oh emo is shit, so much whining" well stop going on about it then and let it die the death its going to. But sitting there moaning about moaning seems a bit hypocritical does it not??[/quote']

Nice try, but way off. There's a world of difference between moaning about something and laughing at it.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
for me' date=' personally, i have a definition of what emo 'is'

for the music, it tends to be centered around heartbreak and nostalgic memories of how great their relationship was, how it's killing them to be apart etc etc etc. but in a rock genre. i dont so much have a problem with the music exactly....but the people who are on the emo 'scene'.

Now i dont know what it's like in Abdn. but at least here your stereotypical emo kid:

dyed black hair,often long, with emo fringe (sorry, i can't sufficiently explain how the fringe looks, sorta long and sweeps over one half of the face)

they wear the black band shirts, ie, funeral for a friend.

jeans down their ass with a pyramid belt

random braclets on their arms, often cheap and/or tacky

now they also wear converse and blazers as stolen from the indie scene.

it's not even the way they dress. it crosses over into a lot of genres what they wear, the 'stereptypical' things worn by each 'scene'. I like quite a bit of what they wear.

not that

not really the music (altho too much gets me depressed)

no it's their ATTITUDE and that's what REALLY gets me

everyone's against them

and they whine over every petty thing

constantly

i don't ask you to agree with my views. that's just how it is where i live, i dont even live in scotland so *shrugz* it may be completely different where you live. but that's my definition and some of why i have a disliking for them.[/quote']

Yeah, that's pretty much how it is here too. I'm sorry, but your take on it is just too similar to mine. Are we twins? The music is boring and ordinary, but inoffensive. The emo attitude is utterly revolting and is coming in for some much-deserved piss-taking from those who see it for the attempt to get laid that it is. Those who get so uptight and defensive about it do nothing to refute the stereotype.

Nice try' date=' but way off. There's a world of difference between moaning about something and laughing at it.[/quote']

But its not laughing i think i can count 6 threads at the mo with people moaning about emo or what is emo.....Get over it!!!!

Just ignore it instead of moaning about it all the time please!!!!

We dont see people who listen to emo starting threads saying "oh we hate dance music its so dull and boring" do we???? Or techno heads saying "all metal is shit" do we??????

So why in this case is there a new thread everyweek about it??

whilst the aberdeen scene can be a bit self indulgent and cliquey at times' date=' there's lots of fun to be had, some quite cool people and the grumpiest old man in the UK in the form of Ian Christie, the sound engineer at Cafe Drummonds.

[/quote']

As soon as I save up enough money I'm coming across to Ireland to kick your big Cambridge ass.

Possibly with a stop-off in Glasgow to give Maxwell a clip round the ear.

* feels the old' date=' "what is emo", "why emo sucks", etc style arguements just waiting to pop up again *

Child, you know not what you have done. A great evil is in now in the world. We are all doomed.

Either that or no one will take notice.

Hopefully the latter.[/quote']

* reads thread *

... And they say I have no magical powers!?

As soon as I save up enough money I'm coming across to Ireland to kick your big Cambridge ass.

Possibly with a stop-off in Glasgow to give Maxwell a clip round the ear.

stop it christie me sidea are aching! any time sonny any time! ho ho ho cambridge beat the mighty bristol rovers today and those welsh asses got kicked.

agree about clipping maxwell round the ear though cheeky little beggar

stop it christie me sidea are aching! any time sonny any time! ho ho ho cambridge beat the mighty bristol rovers today and those welsh asses got kicked.

agree about clipping maxwell round the ear though cheeky little beggar

Cambridge (dis)United seem to have dragged themselves up a few places in the league, sitting on 12 points with all the other LOSERS. I heard Bristol Rovers had 95 first team players out for this game.

Anyway, back to ass kicking, I couldn't miss really so less of the mirth.

Cambridge (dis)United seem to have dragged themselves up a few places in the league' date=' sitting on 12 points with all the other LOSERS. I heard Bristol Rovers had 95 first team players out for this game.

Anyway, back to ass kicking, I couldn't miss really so less of the mirth.[/quote']

we just proved that our lowly league position was not justified, watch us climb the table now! and were through to the second round of the LDV trophy an all.

your ass needs seriously kicking christie! :up:

* reads thread *

... And they say I have no magical powers!?

i regret this post thoroughly.....you were right...i apologise. people are getting way to worked up about this. I gather that this is a longstanding arguement/bitchfest what has been going on for sometime.....again.....sorry....

you must be a prophet or something....magical...

Guest WalkingOnGlass
You are spot on' date=' i've seen my minds weapon and to be honest it makes me cringe.

Just a kiddies pop band, nothing more, nothing less.

Nirvana on the other hand were excellent[/quote']

Kiddies pop band? You're fucking deluded...