aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

Leicester City are top of the league, with largely the same squad that were bottom of the league on this date last season, and remained bottom of the league right through to the 18th April. They've also scored the most goals in the league. Jamie Vardy has equalled Ruud van Nistelrooy's goals scored in consecutive games record. Bizarro world.

They're going to twat United next week.

Fucked if Vardy picks up an injury.

Also, they've only played Arsenal and Spurs of whom you could consider 'big teams', I guess. For clarity, they haven't played Chelsea, City, United or Everton.

They've had a brilliant start to the season, but it's skewed a bit by the fixtures list IMO. Still, they're very likeable. I find players like Jamie Vardy amazing - just adapting to each level as they climb the ladder.

Even though the standard of football in the Premier League hasn't been that high this season, it could turn out to be a really interesting season.  It's pretty hard to tell how things will go at this stage and I don't think the main contenders for the title or the top 4 will really be apparent until the new year, once everyone has played all the other teams once.  I guess the contrast between Leicester and Chelsea demonstrates that you can still do a lot with team work and a coherent strategy.  If those things break down then you might not do well even if you've got a great squad.

Leicester's next 6 fixtures:

Man Utd (h)
Swansea (a)
Chelsea (h)
Everton (a)
Liverpool (a)
Man City (h)

That set will make or break them, but they've had an excellent period of fixtures to build of momentum and confidence, so I expect them to win a few of those.

I do think they'll fall away in the new year though, similar to Southampton last season, but I think think they'll still be in the top 6 come New Years Day.

So, Vardy did it. Well done. Meteoric rise. Rags to riches. Late bloomer. Non league football 3 years ago etc. I assume all shitchatters got rightfully banged.

Shite game though. United are poison to watch.

A good summary of Rooney playing every game, always:

At what point is it acceptable to think that the Van Gaal experiment is circling the drain? I think he's done a significant amount of good, and I do believe the next manager will benefit enormously from the discipline and possession approach he has put in place, but it's hard to see how or when LvG can push it to the next level. I just don't think it can go any further. An enormous amount of money spent, and the squad is still thin in places. United have more first team goalkeepers than they have left backs and centre forwards, combined. It's mad.

Now they're on the cusp of an early Champions League exit after the PSV draw. They've got to go to Wolfsburg and win. They couldn't win the other two away games against inferior opposition. There's little chance they'll win in Germany.

He threw young Paddy McNair under the bus after the game too. Inexperienced youngster who has only just returned from a nasty Ruptured Liver injury, and unsurprisingly looks rusty. That was his first 90 minutes since last season. He didn't even play badly, but Louis has slaughtered him in the post-match. No mention of his captain having the first touch of a trampoline and the mobility of a trolley in treacle. Poor management.

There's nobody readily available anyway, but I don't think they'll finish top 4 if they keep playing such a restricted, laborious game. There's a bit of speculation over Pep Guardiola's future. United should stretch their financial muscle and give him and Bayern everything they want. They should definitely not give the job to Giggs. It will be a bigger calamity than Moyes.

So, Gary Neville got the Valencia job. Why didn't Phil get the job, who is already there and familiar with the set up? Phil is in charge for the Barca game, then Gary thereafter. Forever in his brother's shadow.

It's a fascinating appointment though. Out of all the guys associated with the Class of 92, I always though GNev would make the best manager, based on absolutely nothing. Giggs is tipped to be future United boss, but he doesn't strike me as management material, also based on absolutely nothing. Then again, I always thought Bryan Robson would make a great manager, but he didn't.

I hope Neville does a great job and wins some trophies. It's about time there was a great English manager. Who was the last one? Bobby Robson? Who is currently the best English manager? Pardew? Urgh. Barrel scrapings.

I get it now. 1 point each for a win, then an extra 1 point for winning the pens. It's different I'll give them that. Could be decent, gives the smaller teams a guaranteed 4 matches in the tournament, probably with at least highlights on tv so potentially a little bit of extra income. Sure it'll be seeded as well so it'll still be the bigger teams progressing. Fuck knows. Wait and see I suppose.