aberdeen-music

Mozilla's new CEO opposes equal rights for gay couples

6 years ago isn't a long time, and I think making a payment to an anti-gay campaign is pretty unambiguous.

Opposition to same sex marriage is not necessarily anti-gay. This was a vote in the state that the guy lived in and he was legally entitled to vote and to fund the political campaign any way he wanted. Democracy in action.

A witch hunt after the fact is just wrong, every bit as wrong as thinking that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to get married if they want.

• Upvote 2

My Grandpa was anti-gay in an old-school 'doesn't understand it' kinda way. Still loved him.

Someone like him (my gpa and this fella) shouldn't be anywhere near consideration for a high-level position at a highly visible publicly traded company though because things like this will happen.

My Grandpa was anti-gay in an old-school 'doesn't understand it' kinda way. Still loved him.

Someone like him (my gpa and this fella) shouldn't be anywhere near consideration for a high-level position at a highly visible publicly traded company though because things like this will happen.

So your Grandpa could work very hard at his job and want to succeed to support his family yet be denied the opportunity to because of his opinion? Sounds like discrimination to me...

Someone like him shouldn't be anywhere near consideration for a high-level position at a highly visible publicly traded company though because things like this will happen.

Mozilla isn't a publicly traded company. You've fairly jumped to some conclusions in this thread.

So your Grandpa could work very hard at his job and want to succeed to support his family yet be denied the opportunity to because of his opinion? Sounds like discrimination to me...

Not really, just not the best person for the job given the responsibilities and pressures of the role. Same thing if I interviewed someone who seemed perfect and later found photos on their facebook of them wanking into a venus fly trap... i'd not hire them.

Opposition to same sex marriage is not necessarily anti-gay. This was a vote in the state that the guy lived in and he was legally entitled to vote and to fund the political campaign any way he wanted. Democracy in action.

A witch hunt after the fact is just wrong, every bit as wrong as thinking that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to get married if they want.

It is inherently anti-gay. Democracy is no guarantee against, or excuse for, the oppression of minorities. Interesting leaps of logic there.

I'm sure everyone will understand if I just say I'm inclined not to support him because he seems like an odious cunt :D.

• Upvote 1

Not really, just not the best person for the job given the responsibilities and pressures of the role. Same thing if I interviewed someone who seemed perfect and later found photos on their facebook of them wanking into a venus fly trap... i'd not hire them.

I think he's handled the thing really well so far which indicates that he's well suited to the role. That example is ludicrous though, this isn't.

It is inherently anti-gay. Democracy is no guarantee against, or excuse for, the oppression of minorities. Interesting leaps of logic there.

I'm sure everyone will understand if I just say I'm inclined not to support him because he seems like an odious cunt :D.

I am absolutely not an expert on gay or anti-gay thinking. This guy makes some good points though.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/12/being-against-gay-marriage-doesnt-make-you-a-homophobe/282333/

He seems like an odious cunt? What are you basing that on? You know exactly three things about this guy

1. He helped invent Java.

2. He is CEO of Mozilla.

3. He made a political donation to a thing you (and I) disagree with.

Hardly a basis for such a comment. Similarly to Old Gold earlier, you're doing exactly what people who hate gays, different coloured people and folk from a different religion do. Judging with absolutely no information.

But that's ok cos you're being ignorant on the side of right yeah?

Edited by colb

Hardly a basis for such a comment. Similarly to Old Gold earlier, you're doing exactly what people who hate gays, different coloured people and folk from a different religion do. Judging with absolutely no information.

But that's ok cos you're being ignorant on the side of right yeah?

I understand if you don't believe making a donation that supports a political movement to interfere with something that stops gay couples having the same rights as straight couples is 'absolutely no information', but there's not really much I can do about that.

And if calling a rich, straight white guy from the US of A out for being behind the times is the same as being a nazi-homophobe, then we're bordering on you sparking up an argument in favour of reverse racism or something.  I'll just say that simply IMO - which you will fight to the death for - the guy's probably still a prick, despite his flowery open letter promising not to do anything else to make people think he's a prick.

I understand if you don't believe making a donation that supports a political movement to interfere with something that stops gay couples having the same rights as straight couples is 'absolutely no information', but there's not really much I can do about that.

And if calling a rich, straight white guy from the US of A out for being behind the times is the same as being a nazi-homophobe, then we're bordering on you sparking up an argument in favour of reverse racism or something.  I'll just say that simply IMO - which you will fight to the death for - the guy's probably still a prick, despite his flowery open letter promising not to do anything else to make people think he's a prick.

Barack Obama is on record as being against gay marriage, and has changed his mind about it a few times - I don't see anyone getting so incensed about him.

Russia is actively persecuting homosexuals.

Picking on a guy that most of us hadn't heard of until yesterday and none of us know anything about seems a bit petty..........there are more worthy targets than an internet browser.

The other thing possibly worth noting here is that there seems to be a big generational difference.  Similar to what ca_gere mentions above re: his Granda being completely anti-gay, I was speaking to a 72 year old lady the other day who is probably fairly liberal in her views for that generation.

She said something like, "I'm not homophobic in the slightest and I have nothing against gay people having the same rights but I just think that gay marriage is a step too far."  I completely paraphrase, but her view was that civil partnerships are absolutely fine because it gives gay people equal rights but marriage is a more "sacred" thing - a religious ceremony if you will - by design, meant for a man and a woman and to be the basis for starting a family.

I tried to tell her that by denying gay people the right to marry, they do not have equal rights.  Civil partnership is a different thing - it's sort of treating the "marriage" as a contract, rather than an act of love or commitment.  There was no shifting her though.

It's an old fashioned kind of thing and I can sort of see where she's coming from, but I think that demonstrates that you could be against gay marriage but not necessarily be anti-gay / homophobic / whatever you want to label it.

• Upvote 2