aberdeen-music

pc/laptop question (help)

Little Green

yeah i read up but i dont have adminisrator access or any other account profiles on the laptop. and since i know nothing i thought it best to take to somewhere where the people are meant to.

but the guy asked me if anything need back up i said i'd rather keep the stuff but if i cant then i cant.

are the people on the "know how" desk specifically it trained? i would assume so but the guy i had said  he'd only been in the country 3 weeks. :/

if i tell them about the microsoft office wont they probably ask to see my reciept to prove i bought i (which clearly i dont have since i bought the laptop 3.5 years ago).

so should pc world fix it the "simple" way without my stuff being lost or chances that they'll just blast everything lol.

The chances are they'll wipe and reinstall, as it's the quick and easy way for them. They may also tell you about other issues that they noticed and that you should upgrade/buy a new laptop.

The Admin account is probably not active, but will be there, your account will be an admin account as well.

It's too late now to do anything, but there are enough IT bods on here to help either talk you through how to fix it, or to fix it personally without having to resort to PC World if anything else crops up.

Have u tried booting in safe mode yet? You can do it as u restart your computer. Depends what laptop it is but hold either esc, f2, f10 or f12. Should give u an option of opening in safe mode. Try normal safe mode if it don't work try booting with networking. Last but not least is via command promt but would need a computer in front of me to explain more. You should be able to get in if using command promts to reset your account

If you bought Office legitimately then if you haven't chucked out the box or deleted the email (if you downloaded it from MS) you should still have your licence key.  In which case you should be able to reinstall and enter the same key without buying it again.

There's a few local companies which have better reputations for repairs than PC World (not difficult admittedly).  North East Peripherals (George St), Everest (Holburn) and Tech Rescue (Rosemount) are all reasonable.

• 1 month later...

right this has happened on my mums laptop so figured i'd take your advice instead of running to pc world.

i'm reading this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215'>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215 with all the registry stuff and renaming .bak - all to complicated for me. i'd probably f*ck it up more.

nothing simple like a system restore?

Edited by Little Green