aberdeen-music

Strat Pickups Advice

Flights

I'm currently in the process of building a partocaster and was wondering if anybody had any pick up recommendations.

It's an alder body and will have a maple neck once it's completed. Music wise I play a mix of ambient, post-rock, shoegaze and some post-hardcore. This guitar will be used mainly for the Shoegazey end of the spectrum though. I prefer single coil pickups and if I was going to use a humbucker it would need to be able to be coil tapped.

I was all set on Lace Sensors until somebody told me the Fender N3 noiseless pickups were better. Heard lots of good things about the Creamery and Bare Knuckle pickups too.

Any advice is welcome!

I can't remember where I bought them, but it was over 5 years ago. I have this set, ttp://www.axesrus.co.uk/Lace-Sensor-Mixed-Set-Red-Silver-and-Blue-p/lacemixed.htm , which is the same set that Francis Rossi has in his telecaster. I am tempted to put a blue and red into my Mustang, it's just finding the cash.

• Upvote 1

They look interesting. Would they need any special routing? It mentions the pickguards need to be rectangular but there is no mention of the body routs.

Doesn't look like it, the mounting lugs are rounded like on a normal Strat pickup.  Only the holes in the pickguard would need squaring off I reckon.

• Upvote 1

I can't remember where I bought them, but it was over 5 years ago. I have this set, ttp://www.axesrus.co.uk/Lace-Sensor-Mixed-Set-Red-Silver-and-Blue-p/lacemixed.htm , which is the same set that Francis Rossi has in his telecaster. I am tempted to put a blue and red into my Mustang, it's just finding the cash.

Ah that's where I seen them before. I did look at a Gold set before but I decided the mixed set would be the most versatile option. I had a look at these but wasn't impressed as much as I'd like to have been in comparsion with the regular mixed set.

If they are good enough for Francis Rossi, then thats them sold to me. Now can i fit them to a snare drum?

Doesn't look like it, the mounting lugs are rounded like on a normal Strat pickup.  Only the holes in the pickguard would need squaring off I reckon.

They are certainly a contender. I'm going to have to do a bit more research on them though. The P90's look awesome. I've got a Squier strat body swimming pool routed that would hold them easily. Wasn't exactly what I had in mind though.

This looks mental - http://www.lacemusic.com/Alumitone_Blingbucker.php

"adorned with 10 pieces of Swarovski crystals "

They are certainly a contender. I'm going to have to do a bit more research on them though. The P90's look awesome. I've got a Squier strat body swimming pool routed that would hold them easily. Wasn't exactly what I had in mind though.

This looks mental - http://www.lacemusic.com/Alumitone_Blingbucker.php

"adorned with 10 pieces of Swarovski crystals "

Just get one of those Blingbuckers for the bridge position, then fill the other two cavities with strobe lights.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I'm assuming "staccato quick attack sounding" refers to the classic tight, brittle, cutting sound of a single coil. So "airy" I'm guessing means bigger, fatter, more sustain. In theory, this might do it: http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/strat/standard-strat/fs-1 . Basically, it's "louder (about 25% more power) than a stock single-coil, and smoother and fatter-sounding all-round." It's meant to beef up and de-sparkle a strat's bridge position pick-up. I have one in the middle position, sunk into the body, so it's probably a fair bit milder than intended; I'd say it's a more or less classic sound (still pretty tight and brittle) but yeah, less sparkly and maybe a bit fatter.