aberdeen-music

Laika Come Home 004: The Cosmic Dead | His Name Is Codeine | Seas, Starry | Strawberry Wine Djs

Yeah, they were great, really thoroughly lovely folks too.  They got horribly lost in Aberdeen, had dead phones and their synth player had fallen out a window (or something) the previous night, so was touch and go for a bit.  Still played for an hour though, finished just in the nick of time (the manager just came through the door and shot us a "sort it out, guys!" look at 20 past 1).   Couldn't have been happier with their set, they played amazingly and the crowd was great too. 

Edit:  I enjoyed the synth, I was right at the front though.

So was I. Maybe I just couldn't differ it from the guitar effects... 

The only thing bad about this gig is that I ruined a prime stalk opportunity on Waltz, as I stupidly introduced myself as JakeBassist. And in true JakeBassist style, it was in the toilets. (He chatted me up first tho).

• Upvote 1

Yeah so this gig was pretteh, pretteh good.

Although I went primarily because Cosmic Dead sounded a good proposition, I was fair taken with His Name is Codeine. I hadn't bothered investigating them beforehand and thought they were going to be all shoegazey but they turned out to be an awesome mix of Black Angels, early Mary Chain and Siouxsie. Nice repetitive but tuneful songs. And the keyboard/tambourine lass had on a groovy Genghis Khan hat as well. Bought a copy of the CD, been listening to it heaps, good effort.

As it happened I found Cosmic Dead slightly disappointing, although still decent, just wasn't as blown away as I hoped. That may have been the Amstel taking hold combined with the late start. Would def. go and see them again though. They are very hairy aren't they?

Seas, Starry's first couple of songs were aceic, new material is sounding nice, first song ended too soon though, was just getting into it.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't blown away as much as I thought I was going to be by the cosmic dead. But that always happens when people are like "when I went to see them this and that happened". But I still thoroughly enjoyed their set. According to the mrs, who's seen them a few times, they have a tendency to have guitars on the floor and just chuck stuff at them, which is right up my street. Gutted there was none of that.

I wasn't blown away as much as I thought I was going to be by the cosmic dead. But that always happens when people are like "when I went to see them this and that happened". But I still thoroughly enjoyed their set. According to the mrs, who's seen them a few times, they have a tendency to have guitars on the floor and just chuck stuff at them, which is right up my street. Gutted there was none of that.

They did hang them from the light fittings though. They were lovely lads, not to keen on the Axl Rose samples I was triggering during our world famous Seas, Starry tuning breaks though.

I thought it was ALL great even a week on....smiled a lot at the metal box bass riff half way through the Cosmic Dead set & the Hawkwind finish... What a very lovely chap the guitar man is, talked about David at the end

Edited by chilli
  • Upvote 2

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  We're still fairly new to the promoting lark, but we're learning! 

Agree with Mike that it was a very nice touch for James to have given David a mention.  Throughout their set I kept finding myself thinking how much David would have loved it.

Nice to see so much appreciation for HNIC too, well deserved!

• Upvote 2

They did hang them from the light fittings though. They were lovely lads, not to keen on the Axl Rose samples I was triggering during our world famous Seas, Starry tuning breaks though.

Aye that was a nice touch. Too many folk trying to pluck a string though. Was so glad it didn't come crashing down.

I, for one, enjoyed the samples. Nice touch. And they are lovely. Got speaking to the guitarist outside before their set.