aberdeen-music

Favourite films of 2012.

Lemonade

The Hobbit...An Unexpected Journey was fucking ace. Didn't feel too long, didn't lull like I thought it would and I even enjoyed the cheesy humour. Fucking fantastic.

Spent the whole film wondering which Dwarf Billy Connolly was and even after checking after the film still didn't recognise him.

He isn't going to be in it until the second and third film.

• 2 weeks later...

In no real order...

The Muppets - We saw it on opening night and it was genuinely one of the most pleasant cinematic experiences I've ever had. Also I nearly cried several times during it and had Life's A Happy Song stuck in my head for days after.

Avengers Assemble - Ace. I loved everything about it, even the stupid bits. The relationship between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner was de-lightful.

Moonrise Kingdom - A typical Wes Anderson film, but that's obviously not a bad thing. Sweet story, funny, well acted, but not enough Bill Murray.

Friends With Kids - JON HAMM. A very good film, if a little long. There were some hilarious bits and the ending was brilliant, but Chris O'Dowd's American accent was baffling.

The Dark Knight Rises - Perfect end to the series. So good it made me forget that Michael Caine was a Tory. I'm so glad that there's been a trilogy made in my lifetime in which every film is great. Fuck LOTR y'all.

Shadow Dancer - Clive Owen film set in 90s Belfast. It’s basically about an IRA police informant and the moral dilemmas that she has to figure out. Well acted and an interesting story. There’s one bit that happens near the end that Clive Owen’s character does that I felt didn’t really make sense, but other than that, a nice wee film.

Lawless - Written by Nick Cave and starring Tom Hardy? Winner.

Killing Them Softly - Such a beautiful film. The audio and visuals constantly play tricks on you and although the plot isn't revolutionary, the way the story is told it brilliant. This article sums it up better than I ever could. James Gandolfini is in it for a totally pointless thirty minutes and even that is fantastic. This and the Dark Knight Rises are probably tied for my favourite film of the year.

Looper - Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis are both ace in this. And the little kid. There are a few plot-holes, but fuck it, it's a time travel film - who ever gets those right?

Skyfall - Sam Mendes should be contractually obliged to direct all Bond films ever. He should go back and re-do Quantum Of Solace. This is probably my new favourite Bond film. I enjoyed the numerous homages to the franchise in the music and dialogue, which could have so easily gone the other way and been obtrusive. Javier Bardem is brilliantly terrifying.

Argo - Great bunch of lads, all the best. I'm so glad that Ben Affleck isn't a shit director.

Biggest disappointments...

To Rome With Love - I should know better than to trust recent Woody Allen films... but this one had Alec Baldwin in it! It was just nonsense. The only redeeming thing about it was that Rome looked really nice in it. But it would do, it's Rome.

The Master - Could not wait for this to come out, but when it did I really didn't enjoy it. The cast was great but it seemed really self-indulgent and needed a bit more quality control. Stuff that should have been cut out was left in for no discernible reason making it feel like it was five hours long.

Room 237 - I think I am the only person who didn't like this documentary, and I was really expecting to as it's about conspiracy AND the Shining - two of the best things! It was interestingly edited, by not using any original footage, but as with the Master, too much pointless crap was kept in. I felt like the audio of the interviews wasn't edited at all.