aberdeen-music

Advice for an aspiring songwriter?

standfree1987

Three things. Chords. Melody. Lyrics. Very rarely you'll come up with two of them, or even all three together, but generally one comes first and the others follow. Some people always write the same, one before the other, but I find it's good to try and do it in a different order some times.

Chords are often best if you don't think about them, just strum a guitar and see what happens. Sometimes you'll hit a chord that just sounds great after the last one, and go from there. But it can also help if you have a wee bit of theory knowledge - to understand why a certain chord works after another one. For example, dominant 7th chords - a 7th always sounds like it needs to go to the chord four notes up from it. G7 wants to go to C, E7 goes to A etc. Handy if you want the song to go from C to F, just change the C to a C7, and suddenly F just sounds right. Then, when you've figured out some of the 'rules', break them.

Melody can just come from out of nowhere. for no reason. It's always good to record as soon as you get something appearing in your head, or it can disappear just as quickly. Use your phone - nearly every phone has a sound recorder, so you can just hit the button and sing or hum it onto your phone, so you can go back to it when you're ready. And you'll just look like you're talking on the phone so won't look like a twat, wherever you are. I often do it just walking down the street, or in the supermarket or whatever. In fact my next song is called 'Asda Ace to aisle five'.

Lyrics again can just come from nowhere - often hearing ( or better still mishearing) a phrase that catches your attention can lead to a whole song from one little idea. Again, phone/record/aislefive it.

And if you don't manage to get the chords, melody and lyrics to work together, keep them all anyway. You might find that the lyrics match the chords you come up with 6 months down the line. Mix and match. Recycle. Wear sunscreen.

• Upvote 1

Dunno why, but my best ideas ..which is probably not saying much, but at least my favourite ones have been written when im hungover, in the first few hours mostly. Id definatley go with write down and record as much as possible, as you never know what you'll come back too and think that its usable. As for being too derivative of something else, think everyone goes through that, but lets be realistic, how many ideas are tooooo similar to something else after youve actually asked folk? Read a lot, as you can come across boken phrases that may make sense as lyrics or song titles.

Either way, you can rest assured that you werent the cunt who covered "where is my mind" for a fucking Thomas Cook advert!!

• 1 month later...
Hey guys, i've started getting involved with my music in the last year or so, and have now done a few gigs with a covers band, singing.

I am now trying my hand with a band, of very good musicians, trying to come up with music, and I am coming up with some ok stuff, I am keen to know how most bands go about song writing? do your band come up with a full song and then write a song around that, or do you have any advise for things you use for writing?

I am trying to take inspiration from music I like, and music I know do my voice justice, but I end up just sounding like im trying to rip it off. If i start completely fresh with my own ideas the idea is way overly thought and, still doesnt sound like anything half decent.

I want to be able to write cool, catchy songs, to give to my band. Any pointers and tips would be cool!

This story has some pretty good advice and is a good link for aspiring songwriters:

www.americansongwriter.com/2012/03/measure-for-measure-easy-is-just-a-four-letter-word/

A lot of musicians suffer from this 'sounds like something else' problem. Here's how to sort it.

If you begin to feel that something you're writing sounds a bit too much like some other song, you should record it - using a dictaphone or the mic function on your mobile - and forget about it for the time being.

Later, when you're struggling for an idea, just return to the old recordings you have for inspiration. Unless what you've got really is a complete rip-off, it's highly unlikely that you'll even remember what song it was supposed to sound like in the first place. That leaves you free to re-enter the creative process, unencumbered by the, 'sounds like another song,' paranoia.

If you want to experiment with melodies and chord structure, try taking a well-worn song and changing a few notes. Make your melody go down when the song melody goes up, and your melody go up when the song you're copying goes down. Now change the rhythm and the instrumentation. Choose different voicings of the same chords. Try replacing one chord with another.

Very quickly you will have something which sounds nothing like the original song. It might not be a great song in itself, but it's a good exercise. One or two small changes can make a big difference musically.