aberdeen-music

Springsteen & E Street Band 2012 Tour

Shaki

I completely missed this was even happening. Tickets go on sale for the UK shows tomorrow. I'll come out of mourning the Big Man to attend the Sunderland show hopefully.

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/live/index.html

I really want to see him, just reluctant to go the village of the damned, why can't he play St. James again!!!!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I am not long back from Gothenburg where I was Bruce and the E Street band play an incredible show to 66,000 people. He didn’t leave the stage for over three and a half hours and in that time there wasn’t a second where I was anything less than enthralled. The energy and sometimes pantomime-like camaraderie of the whole band just blows me away every time.

I wondered how the dynamic would be without the Big Man and although he was sorely missed in spirit, there were 3 moments where his memory was honoured, the music did not suffer. His nephew Jake Clemons took over on sax and was supplemented by a new brass section. We were even lucky to get the first rendition of ‘Jungleland’ on this tour and Jake absolutely nailed the solo. Lots of hugging and tears between the band at the end of the song proved how much it had meant to the band members as well as the crowd.

Particular highlights for me were ‘Out in the Street’ (3rd song in the set which really kicked it all off), ‘My City of Ruins’ and ‘Where the Bands Are’. I suspect his ‘Twist and Shout’ encore went on a little too long but it was almost like one of those Family Guy moments which isn’t really funny but goes on for so long that you somehow start to laugh.

Even the proper Springsteen geeks who follow him on every tour are putting this down as the best show in years. I honestly can’t see that there will ever be the likes of a live performance by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band again (certainly not in terms of consistent value for money!)

An added bonus was that the concert took place in the stadium where the Dons won the ECWC in ‘83. I actually stayed behind at the end to re-enact Hewitt’s winner.

It was a spiritual event for me. If there is a God, it’s the Boss.

• Upvote 3

Was at the Etihad Stadium gig in Manchester on Friday night, fucking awesome, 3 hours and 20 minutes without a break, fucker barely broke a sweat. First time I've seen him, hopefully not the last...

We were at the Etihad Stadium too, enjoyed it but having stood fpor 4 hours to get in in the pissing rain then another 2 waiting for him to come on, I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have, it goes against everything i usually believe but I think seated tickets might have been the way forward, by the end we had been standing for 9 hour (not including our walk around Manchester in the morning) and were just knackered. Did really like him live too from what we saw but we couldnt get a good place for my gf to see the gig so she wasn't really enjoying it either. next time i think seated tickets and hopefully no rain !! Course didnt help we were also having big car problems and weren't sure if the car would start to get us home.

I saw him at the Isle of Wight Festival this year and consider it one of the best gigs I've been to and the highlights for me were Born To Run, Waiting On A Sunny Day and The River. They clearly just have great fun playing together as a band, even the cheesy moment where he got a girl out the crowd during Dancing in the Dark was a bit of a laugh. I came away remarking that I get knackered playing for half an hour and then watch someone who is about the same age as my dad playing for three and a quarter hours.

I grew up listening to a lot of Springsteen but stopped (for no real reason) until I heard The Rising a few years back and this got me right back into him again. I thought Wrecking Ball was a cracking effort...good to hear an angry Boss!

• Upvote 1

We were at the Etihad Stadium too, enjoyed it but having stood fpor 4 hours to get in in the pissing rain then another 2 waiting for him to come on, I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have, it goes against everything i usually believe but I think seated tickets might have been the way forward, by the end we had been standing for 9 hour (not including our walk around Manchester in the morning) and were just knackered. Did really like him live too from what we saw but we couldnt get a good place for my gf to see the gig so she wasn't really enjoying it either. next time i think seated tickets and hopefully no rain !! Course didnt help we were also having big car problems and weren't sure if the car would start to get us home.

We turned up just before 7...the wife being 6 months pregnant, wasn't going to be standing about for hours on end....had a taxi booked from the hotel at 6 and we are pretty convinced that the taxi sitting outside was ours and the desk staff claimed it wasn't so Robert Lindsay could waltz straight into it...pretty co-incidental that he showed up and then 'our' taxi was held up in traffic and arrived 25 minutes late...