aberdeen-music

Can you have too much music?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Just realised the other day that there is some stuff in my collection that I've only had time to listen to once since I moved in to my flat, which was over 2 years ago! I've only just crept in to the thousands, and my mum always used to say "Why do you bother? You'll never be able to listen to it all as much as you want". That's a fact, but it's also a fact that I cannot stop myself from writing letters to people and winging off cheques. It can also be a bugger trying to decide which vinyl to play!

So, with a sizeable collection, how DO you decide which one to play?

Guest haigyman
Just realised the other day that there is some stuff in my collection that I've only had time to listen to once since I moved in to my flat' date=' which was over 2 years ago! I've only just crept in to the thousands, and my mum always used to say "Why do you bother? You'll never be able to listen to it all as much as you want". That's a fact, but it's also a fact that I cannot stop myself from writing letters to people and winging off cheques. It can also be a bugger trying to decide which vinyl to play!

So, with a sizeable collection, how DO you decide which one to play?[/quote']

well...i just make sure that shitloads of my cds get nicked at music festivals and then narrow it down further from there depending on what mood i'm in at the time

I've got into a habit of going into my MP3 folder...mashing the keypad which selects a band folder depending on the first few keys I hit...then I play about with the arrows on the keyboard and hit return after a few seconds to select an album, then do they same to get a song.

Guest Nikola Tesla

I have quite a lot of cds.... and i don't listen to them all, all of the time. But ever so often its great just to go through them all an listen to them.. So i think its good to have a huge music taste.

I have this habit of not being able to throw out CDs, despite the fact I never listen to them. I just think, "that's a great album, can't part with that one".

At that point I'll listen to said album, think how great it is, then put it back in its case for another couple of months til the next clearout.

I can never get enough music

I can never get enough music, I'm like a sponge, I need more and more. There's also nothing better than rediscovering an album you haven't listened to in a while.

I get a buzz from hearing something new that excites me like the first time I heard The A.M. or Joan as Police Woman. Heard some exciting stuff on garageband.com recently as well.

As long as you've got a varied selection and somewhere to put your collection then you're fine. I'm OK on the first part (somewhere around 2-3000 now)' date=' not so hot on the second (bedroom and living room floor totally obscured by stacks of CDs).

I've got dozens that I bought on a whim and never actually listened to. Loads more have only had a single spin. I'll get round to them all eventually.

So, no, you can never have too much music. Just ensure you keep a sense of proportion every time you enter a record shop. Take it from someone who knows what it's like to blow a week's wages in One Up...[/quote']

SNAP

Dave and I could easily be brothers. It`s scary!....... `cept he`s taller.... although it runs in the family!

I've got about 700 CDs now, but keep buying about 2 - 6 a week (second hand, in sales etc when going for "more than 2")...

I don't think you could ever own too much music, as for Jakey's mum saying "you'll never listen to them all", does she watch TV all the time ? (she'll never watch all the programmes !)...

I've got a 5 CD changer, stick in 5 CD's on a saturday, stick a speaker out the window, hey presto, a fine day, full of music. I work at home at night, listening to music...

If anything, Kill your TV.