aberdeen-music

House Band

Flash@TMB

There's been a good response to our search for house band members. A number of people have raised various points and made suggestions. Having thought about this in more detail I propose the following setup/deal:

The house band will consist of a hardcore of 6 members that endeavor to show up most weeks. I may alter the numbers if necessary. My preference is that at least some of the band members are muli-instumentalist and/or can sing. We need drums, bass, guitar(s), and vocal(s). There has to be cover for each position in case someone don't make it, so out of the 6 members at least 2 should be able to play guitar, at least 2 should be able to play bass, at least 2 should be able to play drums, and at least 2 should be able to sing.

The bar will provide the following:

The sound engineer.

The drumkit including sanre, cymbals, and pedal.

A backline of 2 guitar amps and a bass amp/

2 house guitars

A house bass

All strings, drumsticks, drum key, guitar tuner, and all other consumables.

The band members may bring along their own guitars, bass, and kick drum pedal if so desired.

In return for playing in the house band the bar will contribute the following:

A toastie to each house band member every jam night.

5 worth of free drinks to each band member every jam night.

A ONE visit cost price drinking voucher to the value of 20 (full retail price) redeemable within the following 6 days each week. This permits each band member to drink 20 worth of alcohol at cost price, in other words for around a tenner. I will hand these out to the house band after every jam. Each voucher must be used during a single visit during the following week or it becomes void. The bar staff still retain the right to refuse service if you are intoxicated.

In other words if you are a selected member of the house band, and play in the jam on a Sunday, then you get a voucher that you could use say... the following Friday night. This voucher entitles you to drink up to 20 worth of alcohol for around a tenner. In the Moorings this is enough to get you really quite drunk!

The bar will produce decent quality T-shirts for the house band with an agreed logo printed on them.

House band members will receive free admission to all gigs.

Free admission to any Christmas / Hogmanay parties etc.

There will be a degree of leeway/input as to what goes into the jukebox - but within reason! This may include local band CDs.

A lift home after the jam, provided you are still around at closing time and live within a reasonable distance, and don't smell worse than Garth.

The bar (i.e. me) may select and deselect members of the house band. People may be selected on delselected without any reason whatsoever. There will be no sulking when someone is deselected. Band members will be permitted to retain their T-shirts if deselected. LOL.

If you are interested in becoming part of the house band, or require any clarification then please contact me, or post on this thread.

Craig and I are coming to The Moorings for the first time tonight to celebrate his 18th and hopefully witness some good open mic-ness.

Edit: How was the open mic night? We arrived near 9ish but didn't stay very long as the band who were on when we arrived didn't suit our particular tastes. Nice bar though, was mightly ammused by all the signs behind the bar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The starting list of house band members has been finalised. We've also put our heads together and simplified things AND there's a neat twist!

The house band consists of 10 members. Members benefit from cost price drinks during the jam, and are paid 10 (obstensibly towards travel to and from the bar).

Other players are most welcome (in fact they are crucial) but will not be rewarded for their participation...

...however, should any band members fail to show then the other players will be invited to compete for the vacant positions. If I'm suitably impressed then I may choose to carry some substitutions over to the following week. My decision will be based on a number of subjective and objective factors such as instrument(s) played, familiarity with various tunes, jamming ability, performance, looks, smell, time spent in toilets, drunkeness, ability to remember lyrics, etc.

The starting members, their bands in (), and their instruments are:

Andy (Strange Love) Guitar / Bass / Vocals / Keys

Bob (Funk Soul Brothers) Bass / Guitar / Vocals

Craig (Hexagonal Pensioners) Guitar

Keilan (Inept 303) Guitar / Bass / Vocals

Lewis (Bitches Brew) Bass / Keys

Murray (Strange Love) Guitar / Bass

Rory (The Void) Guitar / Sitar / Vocals

Ross (Inept 303) Drums / Bass / Vocals

Scott (Funk Soul Brothers) Guitar

Stu (Strange Love) Bass / Guitar / Vocals

But they are currently under pressure from:

Paul (Cleartone) Guitar / Vocals

Rachel (Normans Fettish) EVERYTHING

Rob (Inept 303) Bass

Wilson (7 Stoner Under) Guitar / Bass

Woody ( ? ) Vocals

So it's all up for grabs. In fact looking at the list there appears to be a shortage of drummers and too many guitarists. Heh heh. Please come along on a Sunday night from 6pm till 11pm if you think you've got what it takes to be selected for the utlimate jam band!

PS As always bands are welcome to come dow and play, it is after all an Open Stage Night, and we have 5 hours to fill!

• 4 months later...