aberdeen-music

Belmont Street not as good as it once was

cool1

I think it's exactly as poor as it has always been.

Coffee shops here and there, expensive as

Fuck chipper, I see the hotel where kef used to be is closing already *gasp*, that "money shop" used to be a sandwich bar (no big loss)

Then you have a plethora of bars that used to be churches.

Only thing belmont st is good for is slain's and occasionally drummonds.

I do miss guessing what kef/glow/lava were going to rename themselves weekly though.

The Money Shop sells better sandwiches than o'briens so i'm ok with it.

That's about the only shop that's changed. The addition of 'The Buttery' a few years back was a boost. Heaven forbid the wifie has to cut short her fag to serve you though. Scowls awai.

I mean compared to like 1998 or something

I think it's exactly as poor as it has always been.

Coffee shops here and there, expensive as

Fuck chipper, I see the hotel where kef used to be is closing already *gasp*, that "money shop" used to be a sandwich bar (no big loss)

Then you have a plethora of bars that used to be churches.

Only thing belmont st is good for is slain's and occasionally drummonds.

I do miss guessing what kef/glow/lava were going to rename themselves weekly though.

and right in the middle they randomly have a carers center WTF

Guest idol_wild

But in 1998 Belmont Street had nothing.

All I used it for was to get to the art gallery and to go to One Up. Everything else on Belmont Street has always been shit, and always will be shit.

coronation street :D

I imagine the majority of the cast has changed, shops etc.

EDIT SO I CAN MAKE A POINT:

Anyway, Belmont Street doesn't need to be particularly amazing. I think there's some great places, One Up, Kilau (it counts, okay?) and The Beautiful Mountain in particular. I don't like there being a "Money Shop" but it's maybe better than a chain sandwich shop being there to divert people away from aforementioned coffee shops.

And, it's a got places to get drunk and somewhere to get fags. Pretty good. If you don't like it, there are other places to go, but for me, it's certainly not dramatically worse than any street of its ilk.

Belmont St went down the pan when the first pubs opened. It used to be just fine when it had the antique shop where Drummonds is, the paper shop across the road which sold Oz, IT etc and the fishing tackle shop....and the ballroom (which I think was part of the English Club, and is still there!). Or in even older days when it had the radio station and roller-skating rink.

Radar's was OK with the 'as much as you can eat' spaghetti offer though :up: