aberdeen-music

Causey Mounth

Chris

Just going to say the vocals are quite off-key (for the need of a better word) for a good part of the song and the levels/quality of the recording isn't perfect, but you must know that. (In particular the solo is exceptionally loud to me.)

As for the song itself, the solo fits in really nicely, the general feel is ... oddly reminiscent of Hallelujah, but that'll be the chords doing that. Lyrics are pretty nice, too, nothing too stand-out, but the solo's the hook for this song I imagine.

Really the main fault are the vocals, in my opinion, but it's a good start. :)

And yes, I feel bad saying this after the kind words in the Kilau topic. ):

• Upvote 1

Just going to say the vocals are quite off-key (for the need of a better word) for a good part of the song and the levels/quality of the recording isn't perfect, but you must know that. (In particular the solo is exceptionally loud to me.)

As for the song itself, the solo fits in really nicely, the general feel is ... oddly reminiscent of Hallelujah, but that'll be the chords doing that. Lyrics are pretty nice, too, nothing too stand-out, but the solo's the hook for this song I imagine.

Really the main fault are the vocals, in my opinion, but it's a good start. :)

And yes, I feel bad saying this after the kind words in the Kilau topic. ):

That's fine, vocals are not my strong point and I don't intend them to be perfect (I like them a bit rough). It's my first attempt at a proper solo recording of anything (see recording techniques thread) so I don't mind if it seems a bit low quality in general.

I'm a bit disappointed you thought the solo was the best bit, that's the part I spent the least time on! I agree it's a bit too loud in the mix. It's on my to do list next time I touch the song.

Cheers for the constructive comments!

That's fine, vocals are not my strong point and I don't intend them to be perfect (I like them a bit rough). It's my first attempt at a proper solo recording of anything (see recording techniques thread) so I don't mind if it seems a bit low quality in general.

I'm a bit disappointed you thought the solo was the best bit, that's the part I spent the least time on! I agree it's a bit too loud in the mix. It's on my to do list next time I touch the song.

Cheers for the constructive comments!

Ah, I see. Still, they can be rough and still be a little more in tune. As for the recording quality, yeah, I can understand that - might need to splash out a wee bit on a good mic (mine is about 70 worth from Bruce Millers, with the stand).

I don't know, I just liked how it slotted in! The chord progression's nice, too, I mean. But you'll find a lot of the stuff that stands out as good takes you seconds.

Not a problem at all, glad you got some use from them. :)

As for the recording quality, yeah, I can understand that - might need to splash out a wee bit on a good mic (mine is about 70 worth from Bruce Millers, with the stand).

Oof! I've got a decent mic...

Causey Mounth was the name of the old drovers road that linked Stonehaven and Aberdeen.

Guest idol_wild

Bookmarked for later listening.

On the issue of Causey Mounth, Chris, do you know of any resources that actually follow the track of it? Being brought up next to it, I'd like to know exactly where it ran - I don't know of any traces of it, despite hunting around the internet several times.

On the issue of Causey Mounth, Chris, do you know of any resources that actually follow the track of it? Being brought up next to it, I'd like to know exactly where it ran - I don't know of any traces of it, despite hunting around the internet several times.

You can get onto it from a signposted path where Leggart Terrace becomes South Deeside Road (the same turnoff as Banchory-Devenick). I know that the Aberdeenshire Council ranger service also do guided walks along it during the summer but to be honest I've never gotten round to walking it myself yet (despite planning to use the name for a year or so).

There's a few bits and bobs online that detail the route:

Causey Mounth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Causey Mouth walk

Causey Mounth [Cowie Mounth] Ancient Trackway : The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map:

Old Roads of Scotland

I like that, nice tune and I like the lyrics, proper heartfelt stuff. I think the vocal suits the song actually and super smooth vocals are not the be all and end all of a good song to me.

The singing is maybe a bit out here and there but if you are nervous or uncomfortable singing I think that is easy to do. The first time I sang on a song it was all over the shop but I find forcing myself to listen to that one is helping me hear where I went wrong.

Did you try doing the rhythm guitar with an acoustic? I think that could have sounded really nice but its a nice progression as is. Cool solo, it is a bit loud though. Did you crank it up because you were worried about the vocals? I've done that a few times.

Anyway, I like it.

• Upvote 1

I think it was a case of not turning the solo down rather than cranking it up. The difference didn't seem so stark at the time.

I might add some acoustic to it, but UPS are shit and didn't deliver my strings direct order on time or I might have done i yesterday. Also I go through phases of playing the acoustic heaps or playing through my amp and at the moment I'm loving the valves.

i was quite surprised by the vocals actually, i like the vocal melody and think with a bit of practice they'd be pretty good.

i really like the first part of the solo but think it descends into a pointless rock solo. keep it understated for this song.

overall a pretty nice little song, nice lyrics too, though the opening chords are very hallejulah. good work chris!

i really like the first part of the solo but think it descends into a pointless rock solo. keep it understated for this song.

It's nice to rock out occasionally!

Actually I agree completely. I recorded the solo in two takes, just as a quick little improvised piece to fill in that section. I like it but I plan to go back and write a proper melody line to replace it at some point.

Thanks!

Finally got round to listening to this.

First thing I thought was "Hallelujah".

Agree that the vocals sound a bit half arsed. For a start they were mixed low down and I couldn't really work out the lyrics. Were a bit out tune at points too.

I agree that "imperfect" vocals can sound good and some of my favourites can't really sing, like Dylan for example. But Dylan's never out of tune, he just speaks in certain bits rather than singing. Not really any excuse for being out of tune on a recording, live maybe, on a recording, do it again.

Liked the second half of the solo a lot, I assume I was listening to the revised version.

Hope these comments are useful.

• Upvote 1

Liked the second half of the solo a lot, I assume I was listening to the revised version.

The original version had a bluesy rock solo which was hastily done as a placeholder for something more interesting. The revision is a more laid back section with lots of delay.

The song uses the same two chords in the verse that Hallejulah uses at the start. It's unfortunate and I didn't realise until this thread. I don't think it sounds too similar (different time signatures for a start) but there you go.

I'll try and do a better job of the vocals at some point but I am faced with the fundamental problem that I'm not a very good singer. I hope for improvement but it may be a while coming! In the meantime I think I'm done with this song for now as I want to try and get a couple more recorded over Christmas. I don't think the singing will be any better on those.

Thanks for the comments! I'm just happy that anyone took the time to listen and give feedback. Even better that it's been constructive :)

First thing I thought was "Hallelujah".

Agree that the vocals sound a bit half arsed.

The whole song is played without a sense of ownership. It sounds more like a lack of confidence in the performance rather than not being arsed. There's no discernible commitment to a precise vocal melody, likewise with the rhythm guitar. It's a song that is still being worked on and the recording doesn't lie.

I think the comparison with Hallelujah is brief and quickly cast aside once the song starts. Nothing to worry about.

I'd say it's an encouraging start Chris. I think that yr vocals will improve dramatically with practice and the prospect of performing in front of an audience. The revised second guitar solo is much better, a lot more tasteful but sadly lacking harmony pinch harmonics. ;)

Are you planning on doing this live?

• Upvote 1

Are you planning on doing this live?

Eventually. Just need to get a couple more songs written and practiced. No plans to put a band together for it at the moment so it would be more stripped down than this recording.

Hopefully I'll get another couple of rough recordings started over christmas to give more of an idea of the general direction and then I'll start thinking about taking it live.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got round to a listen now. You know yourself that the vocals are the weakest part, but as has been said that will continue to improve the more you practice.

Recording-wise I think the guitar sounds muddy and the vocals are too quiet in the mix.

Definitely has loads of potential though, looking forward to hearing a some more!

• 1 month later...