aberdeen-music

Valve Head Shopping time...

limitations

are what I look for in a guitar amp. I like it when amps are one-trick ponies; they provide one sound and they do it very well. My AD30's a lot like that in a lot of respects, it's the simplest amp in the world: gain, bass, mid, treble, volume and that's it.

When amps try to cover as much territory as possible, that's when things start to go amiss, introducing effects loops, reverb units, and a bunch of stuff into the chain. At the end of the day, you want an amp to highlight two things: your playing and your guitar's tone; if there's more potential to obscure either of those two things than you necessarily want there to be, then I'm not really that interested.

My DSL50 seemed to take the worst of my guitar's sound and bring them to the forefront. The AD range is actually a great match for Teles, I'm well happy with it. In saying that though, I'd like a Fender Twin and a JMP so I'd have different sounding amps for recording with.

are what I look for in a guitar amp. I like it when amps are one-trick ponies; they provide one sound and they do it very well. My AD30's a lot like that in a lot of respects, it's the simplest amp in the world: gain, bass, mid, treble, volume and that's it.

When amps try to cover as much territory as possible, that's when things start to go amiss, introducing effects loops, reverb units, and a bunch of stuff into the chain. At the end of the day, you want an amp to highlight two things: your playing and your guitar's tone; if there's more potential to obscure either of those two things than you necessarily want there to be, then I'm not really that interested.

My DSL50 seemed to take the worst of my guitar's sound and bring them to the forefront. The AD range is actually a great match for Teles, I'm well happy with it. In saying that though, I'd like a Fender Twin and a JMP so I'd have different sounding amps for recording with.

I agree with pretty much everything in this post Ross.

I've got myself a Sound City L50. When it works I hope it'll be just like your AD30. Stick the Blackstar Dual and Holy Grail in front of it and I have a 3 channel amp with reverb and no sacrifice of tone. :)

I agree with pretty much everything in this post Ross.

I've got myself a Sound City L50. When it works I hope it'll be just like your AD30. Stick the Blackstar Dual and Holy Grail in front of it and I have a 3 channel amp with reverb and no sacrifice of tone. :)

Aye! My pal has that Blackstar pedal, it kicks out some grunt like. Michty!

Apparently the Blackstar mid-range stuff is pretty good. The other guitarist in my band just put a deposit on the HT-40 combo - apparently it's amazing for the cash!