aberdeen-music

Stripey

Ross

Well playing / DJing live would be a good test of what people like / dislike' date=' will dance to etc...

What matters is their interest / enthusiasm and their ability to concentrate on your music...[/quote']

This is a good point. Playing live is instant feedback on your product. Immediately you can see if people are loving it, quite enjoying it, bearing it or heading for the door. Ive had the full range in my time, and now feel I have a better understanding of how to improve my own music, while still doing what I want for myself. This is true for watching gigs, as well as playing them.

I notice about Stripeys tunes is, while admirable, they dont move me in any way. They have no feeling. Maybe this is why. They sound like the music of someone who doesnt understand how to make an audience feel something, make a real live connection. I know youve not been to many gigs, Stripey, but what about club nights, live Dj sets etc? Would be difficult to convey a feeling youve never experienced. Just a thought...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good point. Playing live is instant feedback on your product. Immediately you can see if people are loving it' date=' quite enjoying it, bearing it or heading for the door. Ive had the full range in my time, and now feel I have a better understanding of how to improve my own music, while still doing what I want for myself. This is true for watching gigs, as well as playing them.

I notice about Stripeys tunes is, while admirable, they dont move me in any way. They have no feeling. Maybe this is why. They sound like the music of someone who doesnt understand how to make an audience feel something, make a real live connection. I know youve not been to many gigs, Stripey, but what about club nights, live Dj sets etc? Would be difficult to convey a feeling youve never experienced. Just a thought...[/quote']

interesting point. because i do feel something is coming from somewhere in his songs, this ambience that has been mentioned. its there but i think it couold be stronger and more powerful.

i guess if you practiced enough with a sampler and a keyboard plus a drum machine you could actually turn out a set featuring one of you songs turning into an improvised set. but of course it could just end up sounding like dance if it didn't vary... definitely would be a challenge.

Guest Stripey
yes! basically i know what you mean' date=' you can hear a synth, and a synth automatically equates to boards of canada, because youv probably heard them once or twice.

now secondly, even though boards use synths, they use real vinatge ones, which then get sampled and messed up. which is what gives them theyr unique sound. stripey does nothing like this from what i heard of the mp3. its straight forward ambient dnb sort of stuff.

and for the record this is mediocre music made by millions of people, lets just admit it.

its good, but nothing special.[/quote']

Which mp3 did you listen to? The track Offworlder (the only dnb track on my site) only has 2 synths, one for the sub-bass and one other bass layered over it. The rest of the sounds are all heavily processed samples.

Guest Stripey
This is a good point. Playing live is instant feedback on your product. Immediately you can see if people are loving it' date=' quite enjoying it, bearing it or heading for the door. Ive had the full range in my time, and now feel I have a better understanding of how to improve my own music, while still doing what I want for myself. This is true for watching gigs, as well as playing them.

I notice about Stripeys tunes is, while admirable, they dont move me in any way. They have no feeling. Maybe this is why. They sound like the music of someone who doesnt understand how to make an audience feel something, make a real live connection. I know youve not been to many gigs, Stripey, but what about club nights, live Dj sets etc? Would be difficult to convey a feeling youve never experienced. Just a thought...[/quote']

When people are DJ'ing live sets on the internet, you get instant feedback through the chatrooms and the listener stats, you would be surprised at the level of interaction during live shows. Using Final Scratch there is no problem using mp3's in a live set on shoutcast or in a club, as if they were on vinyl. This is what I mean by the internet scene, not just sending a few people links to an mp3.

Yeah I don't go to gigs but I do go to club nights a lot...

Guest Stripey
I have just got this strange image of people with headphones on dancing round their PCs while typing on messageboards... :up:

It's not that strange really :p Although the chatting is done over IRC in realtime, not messageboards.

When people are DJ'ing live sets on the internet' date=' you get instant feedback through the chatrooms and the listener stats, you would be surprised at the level of interaction during live shows. Using Final Scratch there is no problem using mp3's in a live set on shoutcast or in a club, as if they were on vinyl. This is what I mean by the internet scene, not just sending a few people links to an mp3.

Yeah I don't go to gigs but I do go to club nights a lot...

I understand how shoutcast works, but checking a graph of stats, or reading a message on IRC is not the same as looking up to see a hundred hands in the air, or hearing a roar as you play something. It's a feeling, not a statistical analysis. I'm sure you know what I'm on about, if the club nights you go to are halfway good. It's a more human interaction that I like to hear reflected in recordings. I always feel that a tune that gets the crowds going daft in a club must have been made by someone who has felt that way themselves.

What club nights do you go to btw? (Not in a stalkerish sense, I just don't know that many good ones)

Guest Stripey
I understand how shoutcast works' date=' but checking a graph of stats, or reading a message on IRC is not the same as looking up to see a hundred hands in the air, or hearing a roar as you play something. It's a feeling, not a statistical analysis. I'm sure you know what I'm on about, if the club nights you go to are halfway good. It's a more human interaction that I like to hear reflected in recordings. I always feel that a tune that gets the crowds going daft in a club must have been made by someone who has felt that way themselves.

What club nights do you go to btw? (Not in a stalkerish sense, I just don't know that many good ones)

I know what you mean...I used to hang out in Joy a lot, when it still existed, doing my fair share of pills and powders, now mostly junglenation @ kef or dnb nights at subway....I know the kind of things that set people off in the clubs. I haven't tried to write dancefloor smashers because thats not the kind of person I am. All the tracks you have heard so far is just me learning and honing the production skills, so that I can eventually execute ideas without the technology getting in the way. Offworlder is probably the best thing I've done, it's quite depressing and makes me feel introspective, but that's the kind of thing I like, I don't think dnb should be restricted to the dancefloor anyway.

I have got an interesting collaborative project coming up with a couple of people who have the dancefloor vibe but not the production skills, so that should prove interesting ;)

I havenae read all the threads...too many !

but, i will say, sounds a bit like tec-Itch...

for more similar stuff, you guys should check out ohmsresistnace (a NY based drum n bass label, a "firend" of mine, Kurt Gluck owns it...he's had some brilliant artists collaborate with him...

mick harris, Bill laswell, Temulent...

check the link (audio available)

http://www.ohmresistance.com/Paudio.html

cheers lepeep.

god i hope dundee has something other than fucking bad metal going on. otherwise i could be on my own for some considerable time when i move there. although i guess im sure to meet some interesting people at uni. does dundee have any clubs like deen? i know we're pretty well off when it comes to choice here but im sure theres some sort of musical entertainment in every city.

dundee had a better "dance" scene that Aberdeen for a while, the club to go to , (not sure if it still is) was the subway (If I remember correctly), heaps of Drum n Bass guys would play there every weekend...I am sure there is still a scene.

I saw a few amazing acts in there, Psychonauts, Bently Rythum Ace, Goldie etc...

Bri from Streethreads had a gig swap thing going on if I am not mistaken. (when we had DJ vadim, DJ Cam etc...)

You'll always find someone with similar tastes, especially if you are going to uni / college. (you could even START a scene...wow ! imagine that !)

he he

drums and loops

One of the best live acts I have ever seen were called ATOM FLASK they crossed the barrier between club and gig incredibly well, as you can see I'm not very good at describing music cos I do not read the music press,I do not want to be told what is good,I would rather go and experience things and make my own mind up.

I go to more events than anyone I have ever met and love acts like Dread Zone,Ozric Tentacles,KLF,and Bentley Rhythy Ace.

I think stripey is missing out on the human interaction that promotes fresh innovative ideas spontaneously and playing live to me is what it is all about as you can change what you usually do into something better instantly.

I do have a set of Roland V drums and am up for providing you with that subtle edge that drum machines just fall short of.

I can play almost every style of music apart from Jazz.

I can play reggae hat/kick/snare patterns like a fucker,come on Stripey,I know you are a bit of a modern punk with your let's stir this place up attitude,let's collaborate on a tune,I write loads of dancey pish on the computer but it really is not as much fun as playing with other people.

Agreed about the music press. i can't be bothered with it most of the time either, its just handy for websites and a few other things while reviews just don't mean anything anymore apart from if someone gets 2/10 its surely going to be crap.

jazz is great. i can't play it either, just think it up in my head. metal is good for that too... you could make a whole prog metal song sitting on the toilet. its great fun. ehm.. too much

Guest Stripey
One of the best live acts I have ever seen were called ATOM FLASK they crossed the barrier between club and gig incredibly well' date=' as you can see I'm not very good at describing music cos I do not read the music press,I do not want to be told what is good,I would rather go and experience things and make my own mind up.

I go to more events than anyone I have ever met and love acts like Dread Zone,Ozric Tentacles,KLF,and Bentley Rhythy Ace.

I think stripey is missing out on the human interaction that promotes fresh innovative ideas spontaneously and playing live to me is what it is all about as you can change what you usually do into something better instantly.

I do have a set of Roland V drums and am up for providing you with that subtle edge that drum machines just fall short of.

I can play almost every style of music apart from Jazz.

I can play reggae hat/kick/snare patterns like a fucker,come on Stripey,I know you are a bit of a modern punk with your let's stir this place up attitude,let's collaborate on a tune,I write loads of dancey pish on the computer but it really is not as much fun as playing with other people.[/quote']

I don't really want to collaborate with other people, and I don't care about human interaction. I just see what I'm doing as being like paintng pictures, it's for my own satisfaction and nothing else. I don't use loops by the way, I write all my own drum patterns.

Thanks for all the input from you guys, but I do have my own vision of what I want to do and if you don't understand it, fair enough.

we had a big discussion a while back about the future of Drum n Bass (on another message board), seems that most people think that the apache break and the amen are done and dusted now, so how can DnB be pushed forwards ?

even techstep seems to be tired now.

if you do check out that Ohms site, you'll find that "drum n bass" doesn't need to have the "classic breaks" that everyone associates with drum n bass.

I have to say Stripey, I did enjoy your tracks, but I did feel that they were a bit "drum and bass by numbers", heaps of sequenced "classic breaks", you need more of a hook, or an edge to keep it interesting. (like mick Harris's Quoit pummeling speed, Fanu's Weird timings (1/2 in one song...now that is fucked !))

hope that doesn't come accross too twatish.

peep

we had a big discussion a while back about the future of Drum n Bass (on another message board)' date=' seems that most people think that the apache break and the amen are done and dusted now, so how can DnB be pushed forwards ?

if you do check out that Ohms site, you'll find that "drum n bass" doesn't need to have the "classic breaks" that everyone associates with drum n bass.

I have to say Stripey, I did enjoy your tracks, but I did feel that they were a bit "drum and bass by numbers", heaps of sequenced "classic breaks", you need more of a hook, or an edge to keep it interesting. (like mick Harris's Quoit pummeling speed, Fanu's Weird timings (1/2 in one song...now that is fucked !))

peep[/quote']

Peep - Would you classify the Soundmurderer recent mix CD as D n Bass or Jungle ? I can never work out which is which.

Jungle = harder & earlier than D n Bass

D N Bass = more commericial / complicated / jazz ??

Dave

that is a tough one...

I always thought that jungle was "before" drum n bass (you'll probably find that Jungle has the word "jungle" in the tune somewhere !...I have a 1995 box set of "jungle massive", and the running theme is (to me) round slow bass, and amen breaks / apache all over the shop, mostly with a ragga stylee vocalist ("all dee massive", etc)

Drum n Bass (to me) did seem to get a bit less defined, from tech step to that nasty "elevator / shampoo advert" stylee "drum n bass"...

that's where I stopped caring about labels and names, and just looked for "good music" (as in most genres).

haven't heard the new Soundmurderer CD, I guess I should go check it.

jungle = old school (pre 1996)

drum n bass = anything with fast drums and slow bass...or is it ?!....fuck knows !

haven't heard the new Soundmurderer CD' date=' I guess I should go check it.

![/quote']

Yep its all the decent jungle / hard dnb / pick your own sub genre tracks that Peel et al have played over the last 10 plus years mixed together into 3 massive tracks. Highly recommended and one for the keep fit classes...

The recent Remarc compilations might also be up your street - all based around the Amen break though,

Dave

he he, white boy..."one for the keep fit classes"...you dance to the drums ! dont you! You should swing to the bass...then you'll last more than 1 song a night ! he he...

for some fresh new "DnB", check out Danny Breaks, "retro future drum n bass", if drum n bass was ever made in the 60's, this is what it'd sound like (scroll down to the 2002 + stuff ("vibrations")...it's on my headphones right now.)

danny breaks (real audio)

Guest Stripey
we had a big discussion a while back about the future of Drum n Bass (on another message board)' date=' seems that most people think that the apache break and the amen are done and dusted now, so how can DnB be pushed forwards ?

peep[/quote']

I've been listening to drumnbass since 96 (people like ed rush + optical, photek, tech itch, dom etc), so I know the classic breaks have been totally cained but they still have appeal I think and can be used in interesting ways. It's hard to beat a clever amen edit in a heavy track sometimes. There is about 450 classic breaks, which I've got, but I also sometimes sample new breaks from newer tracks if i hear a nice kit in a tune...

I'm of the opinion that there is plenty scope for dnb to be pushed forward, in a few different directions.

If you want to see the real state of dnb have a look at http://www.breakbeat.co.uk and http://www.dogsonacid.com

Just on the side, I personally regard Drum n Bass to be merely an invented name for Jungle, which has more threatening connotations. Its all Jungle to me, and what about Jungle Nation- perfect name for a club playing jungle. I used to buy loads of Jungle, but rarely hear much newer stuff that sounds really fresh. Definitely don't think its finished moving as an artform yet though.

Guest Stripey
Just on the side' date=' I personally regard Drum n Bass to be merely an invented name for Jungle, which has more threatening connotations. Its all Jungle to me, and what about Jungle Nation- perfect name for a club playing jungle. I used to buy loads of Jungle, but rarely hear much newer stuff that sounds really fresh. Definitely don't think its finished moving as an artform yet though.[/quote']

I've always considered jungle to be the earlier ragga influenced stuff, very "pots and pans" beats as a trance loving friend of mine calls it, with ragga style mc'ing. I think "dnb" started with the tech sound of the likes of ed rush + optical, and is now just the generally accepted term to cover both types. but hey, who gives a flying fuck about semantics.

I find it hard to find fresh stuff at the moment, intelligent dnb seems to be on the back burner and its going through a very dancefloor clownsteppy stage at the moment. However, if you spend any length of time listening to shoutcast streams from the likes of http://www.dnbradio.com or http://www.dnbradio.com or http://www.jungletrain.net you do hear the odd thing that piques your interest and surprises you....