aberdeen-music

The Lyrics Thread

Oedo 808

You might as well forget excelling as a musician whilst you're at it. You won't be able to hear the complicated licks on the guitar if its a small venue with bad acoustics, so just strum E, A and D over and over.

Heck, just don't even turn up because no one in Aberdeen even likes music

Big LOL.

Seconded. They are the worst lyricists of my lifetime (probably not, but I'm going to stick with that argument).

The repetitiveness is annoying as fuck, but not just that - it's just random phrases thrown together that have no link to the previous random phrases in the song. Dicks. Cunts, even.

I'd chuck The Wombats in there as well, they are pretty terrible. Though the worst lyricists of this generation simply have to be The Enemy. I don't know how they've managed to pull the wool everyone's eyes, but they are truly abysmal. Just awful. It's like they try to do a clever social commentary on working class life, like the Arctic Monkeys do so well, or like Pulp used to do so well, but they've just got it really, really wrong.

My working day has just begun

It's not exactly what i'd would call fun

I want to wake up in the afternoon

With daytime tv and my favourite tune

Cause it is much, easier for me

To stay at home with Richard and Judy

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone's holding lyrics out to be more important than the music, but some people who write lyrics are imaginative / witty / creative with their lyrics, and perhaps they have a story to tell with their songs.

What would have happened if someone like Bob Dylan had taken the advice of someone like you when he was starting out, and decided "fuck it, nobody can hear what I'm saying, or work out what I'm saying in these little bars with their shitty sound systems and all the people chatting etc, I'll just repeat the same 3 words over and over again" ??

I don't think that would have worked for Bob Dylan.

Interesting you choose Dylan, someone who is frequently described as much a 'poet' as a musician. The sixties was a time of great protest and optimism, where people felt music could seriously influence policy. Obviously words are important in this process. Moreover, things like electronic dance music and heavy metal didn't exist yet (and by that I mean music heavily determined by sounds, textures, beats and grooves). Perhaps it was a more lyric-driven culture?

Yeah, I find stuff like that, along with the likes of the Kaiser Chiefs and their ilk, totally unbearable.

The Kaiser Chiefs are probably about the best of that group of shit indie bands that came on the scene a few years ago. Compared to the likes of The Wombats, The Pigeon Detectives, Reverend & The Makers, The Enemy, The Klaxons, and all those other NME 5-minute-favourite cover bands, they've at least got a bit of staying power. Though their new album is shit.

The Kaiser Chiefs are probably about the best of that group of shit indie bands that came on the scene a few years ago. Compared to the likes of The Wombats, The Pigeon Detectives, Reverend & The Makers, The Enemy, The Klaxons, and all those other NME 5-minute-favourite cover bands, they've at least got a bit of staying power. Though their new album is shit.

'Ruby ruby ruby RUBY'

'If there's anyone left in here, that doesn't want to be out there'

What's the name of that shit band with this song:

'I just can't wait it's killing me....'

That was the bane of my student union in 2005.

Guest Gladstone
Interesting you choose Dylan, someone who is frequently described as much a 'poet' as a musician. The sixties was a time of great protest and optimism, where people felt music could seriously influence policy. Obviously words are important in this process. Moreover, things like electronic dance music, heavy metal and rap didn't exist yet. Perhaps it was a more lyric-driven culture?

Well yes, perhaps his music was more lyric driven. I didn't put an awful lot of thought into my choice of musician, but Dylan just popped into my head.

The point that music was more influential etc is valid, but doesn't negate my argument. There are plenty of musicians today that hold lyrics as important and have a message/story to tell. Lucky makes a good example in the Arctic Monkeys. Their first album is full of very witty social commentary (2nd album not so, and what I've heard of the 3rd album so far is nowhere near as good).

And I see your point that not all music needs drawn out stories for lyrics such as dance music (which I think is your weapon of choice?), but your main argument stemmed from the music being "local" and played on the local scene with shit sound systems etc - people should play and write their music exactly the way they want to, and try and put it across right from the start. How many artists get slated for "changing" after they've tasted success or selling out etc to appease the mainstream audience? I'd much rather someone like Point of Origin told these stories in their songs from the word go, and stuck with that if they ever "made it" rather than just choosing some phrases to repeat so that they could be noticed/remembered, then did what they truly believed in once they'd got a bit of fame (that's the opposite of selling out once you're famous, but you know what I mean...)

My main point is that certain types of lyrics work for certain people / music. I still think your point on not bothering with lyrics because you're a local band is horseshit.

Guest Gladstone
'Ruby ruby ruby RUBY'

Is that the Killers? Mr Brightside. Love that song...

But...

Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruby!

Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruby!

I PREDICT A RIOT, I PREDICT A RIOT, I PREDICT A RIOT, I PREDICT A RIOT!

Edit: Ninja'd.

Well yes, perhaps his music was more lyric driven. I didn't put an awful lot of thought into my choice of musician, but Dylan just popped into my head.

The point that music was more influential etc is valid, but doesn't negate my argument. There are plenty of musicians today that hold lyrics as important and have a message/story to tell. Lucky makes a good example in the Arctic Monkeys. Their first album is full of very witty social commentary (2nd album not so, and what I've heard of the 3rd album so far is nowhere near as good).

And I see your point that not all music needs drawn out stories for lyrics such as dance music (which I think is your weapon of choice?), but your main argument stemmed from the music being "local" and played on the local scene with shit sound systems etc - people should play and write their music exactly the way they want to, and try and put it across right from the start. How many artists get slated for "changing" after they've tasted success or selling out etc to appease the mainstream audience? I'd much rather someone like Point of Origin told these stories in their songs from the word go, and stuck with that if they ever "made it" rather than just choosing some phrases to repeat so that they could be noticed/remembered, then did what they truly believed in once they'd got a bit of fame (that's the opposite of selling out once you're famous, but you know what I mean...)

My main point is that certain types of lyrics work for certain people / music. I still think your point on not bothering with lyrics because you're a local band is horseshit.

coolrunstory.jpg

Sorry. I just had to.

My favourite lyrics are ones that tell stories. Like these:

In a past life I was just some

Back alley abortion

Stem cells collected on a coat hanger

Tossed in a trash bin

I can't help but think the kind of hip replacement

That I could have been

The kidney I could have grown into

If only I'd had the chance

Could have helped a God-cursing cripple

Walk again

Be re-born again

Christian

Abortion now a brave new industry

Stem cells collected and sold

Artificial insemination of "breeders"

Thousands of women working at home

Pregnant in six week shifts

Making hundreds a week

Helping others to save lives

Cure disability and disease

Organ banks using body parts as currency

First national stem cell and clone

Billions made and thousands saved as acceptance of the science grows

What's a second mortgage to a whole new lease on life,

And what wouldn't you spend to save your child from dying?

What cock wouldn't you suck to save their fucking life?

Guest Gladstone

I really liked the Kaiser Chiefs' first album Employment, but haven't gone near them since they released Ruby. Fucking awful song.

I quite like Klaxons - they're a bit different from the indie/pop by numbers bands like the Wombats / Pigeon Detectives etc

'Ruby ruby ruby RUBY'

But...

Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruby!

Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruby!

I PREDICT A RIOT, I PREDICT A RIOT, I PREDICT A RIOT, I PREDICT A RIOT!

Edit: Ninja'd.

I really liked the Kaiser Chiefs' first album Employment, but haven't gone near them since they released Ruby. Fucking awful song.

I quite like Klaxons - they're a bit different from the indie/pop by numbers bands like the Wombats / Pigeon Detectives etc

Aye, fair points one and all. I guess I just give the KCs immunity from my sweeping generalisation of shit indie bands cos I actually like them :up:

They're second album is really good by the way Calum. Possibly better than Employment. You should give it a go.

Guest Gladstone
Aye, fair points one and all. I guess I just give the KCs immunity from my sweeping generalisation of shit indie bands cos I actually like them :up:

They're second album is really good by the way Calum. Possibly better than Employment. You should give it a go.

Is the second album the one with Ruby? I'm not sure if I could bring myself to pay actual money for something with that song on it...

Thon pish that goes "I got soul, but I'm not a soldier" as well, hacks me off no end.

As Bill Bailey said on his Tinselworm show, it's bollocks. Why not "I got toast, but I'm not a toaster" or "I got ham, but I'm not a Hamster".

I enjoy me a good lyric, but I also love the likes of Led Zeppelin who had some hideous lyrics about Lord of the Rings. Utter pap as written words, but delightful as part of the song.

"Oh my god I don't believe it, I've never been this far away from home!"

Sorry, I know we are past this now, but every song of theirs I think of has a repeated phrase!

:laughing:

"I got soul, but I'm not a soldier" hacks me off no end

Yeah I've thought that for ages, just nonsense. Which is fine, but it's really bloody annoying nonsense.

In typical Aberdeen-Music style, this thread seems have really taken off now that we have negated the original purpose and re-baptised it "The Bad Lyrics Thread".

Which I'm all for.

Guest Gladstone
Thon pish that goes "I got soul, but I'm not a soldier" as well, hacks me off no end.

As Bill Bailey said on his Tinselworm show, it's bollocks. Why not "I got toast, but I'm not a toaster" or "I got ham, but I'm not a Hamster".

I enjoy me a good lyric, but I also love the likes of Led Zeppelin who had some hideous lyrics about Lord of the Rings. Utter pap as written words, but delightful as part of the song.

A few years ago, we were sitting in the campsite at T in the Park enjoying a beer.

Some random drunk punter walked past pointing at his badge and started singing:

"I've got a badge, but I'm not a badger"

Genius.

This tune is really well written. Just read the first verse. It's a triumph of meaning along with rhythm.

James Mcmurtry - We can't make it here anymore

Vietnam Vet with a cardboard sign

Sitting there by the left turn line

Flag on the wheelchair flapping in the breeze

One leg missing, both hands free

No one's paying much mind to him

The V.A. budget's stretched so thin

And there's more comin' home from the Mideast war

We can't make it here anymore

That big ol' building was the textile mill

It fed our kids and it paid our bills

But they turned us out and they closed the doors

See all those pallets piled up on the loading dock

They're just gonna set there till they rot

'Cause there's nothing to ship, nothing to pack

Just busted concrete and rusted tracks

Empty storefronts around the square

There's a needle in the gutter and glass everywhere

You don't come down here 'less you're looking to score

The bar's still open but man it's slow

The tip jar's light and the register's low

The bartender don't have much to say

The regular crowd gets thinner each day

Some have maxed out all their credit cards

Some are working two jobs and living in cars

Minimum wage won't pay for a roof, won't pay for a drink

If you gotta have proof just try it yourself Mr. CEO

See how far 5.15 an hour will go

Take a part time job at one of your stores

Bet you can't make it here anymore

High school girl with a bourgeois dream

Just like the pictures in the magazine

She found on the floor of the laundromat

A woman with kids can forget all that

If she comes up pregnant what'll she do

Forget the career, forget about school

Can she live on faith? live on hope?

High on Jesus or hooked on dope

When it's way too late to just say no

You can't make it here anymore

Now I'm stocking shirts in the Wal-Mart store

Just like the ones we made before

'Cept this one came from Singapore

I guess we can't make it here anymore

Should I hate a people for the shade of their skin

Or the shape of their eyes or the shape I'm in

Should I hate 'em for having our jobs today

No I hate the men sent the jobs away

I can see them all now, they haunt my dreams

All lily white and squeaky clean

They've never known want, they'll never know need

Their sh@# don't stink and their kids won't bleed

Their kids won't bleed in the da$% little war

And we can't make it here anymore

Will work for food

Will die for oil

Will kill for power and to us the spoils

The billionaires get to pay less tax

The working poor get to fall through the cracks

Let 'em eat jellybeans let 'em eat cake

Let 'em eat sh$%, whatever it takes

They can join the Air Force, or join the Corps

If they can't make it here anymore

And that's how it is

That's what we got

If the president wants to admit it or not

You can read it in the paper

Read it on the wall

Hear it on the wind

If you're listening at all

Get out of that limo

Look us in the eye

Call us on the cell phone

Tell us all why

In Dayton, Ohio

Or Portland, Maine

Or a cotton gin out on the great high plains

That's done closed down along with the school

And the hospital and the swimming pool

Dust devils dance in the noonday heat

There's rats in the alley

And trash in the street

Gang graffiti on a boxcar door

A few years ago, we were sitting in the campsite at T in the Park enjoying a beer.

Some random drunk punter walked past pointing at his badge and started singing:

"I've got a badge, but I'm not a badger"

Genius.

I've got a home, but I'm not a homo.

I've got a job, but I'm not a jobbie.

I've heard them all!

Still love that song though, Killers FTW.

Guest Gladstone
I've got a home, but I'm not a homo.

I've got a job, but I'm not a jobbie.

I've heard them all!

Still love that song though, Killers FTW.

Lying bastard.

You're both a homo and a jobbie.