aberdeen-music

Musical tastes

Guest Sundaram

Nirvana got me into guitar playing, then got into all the grunge, mainly soundgarden, then progressing to metallica and pantera, but as the chugga-chugga riff metal got boring, got into old chilli peppers, Primus and Mrbungle, then came Vai and also stuff like funkadelic, sly and the family stone, roundabout then i got into floyd and Yes, Jeff beck.

Right now I'm listening to:

Miles Davis

Beethoven ;)

Ted Nugent !!:p

I've found working in record shops has opened me up to all kinds of stuff i may never have heard. i think the most important thing is just to listen to everything with an open mind and just check things out all the time.

oasis got me interested in music and will always hold a special place in my heart(trust me they will make another good album!) as do the likes of the charlatans and the bluetones. then i got into american punk music like nofx and pennywise and from that things started to really kick off, some bands led me to heavier stuff and others led me to more experimental bands like fugazi. mogwai got me interested in bands like godspeed and sigur ros. people introduced me to hip hop and things like company flow and the anticon stuff. when i joined one up i started taking an interest in electronic music like aphex, squarepusher, boards of canada, and bits and pieces here and there. recently my tastes have broadened to include a huge amount of 'country' music and *gasp* some prog, though i'm still scared of listening to rush for fear that i'll like them and yes are still a few steps away.

there's not much i won't listen to these days, except generic dance stuff and manufactured pop(though that mcfly know their way round a tune, had it stuck in my head all weekend). haven't listened to techno for many a year or drumnbass. don't really listen to ska-punk much these days either, though i still like sublime. surprised myself by liking grindcore and some black metal(though still haven't gotten round to buying any black metal, one step at a time). also enjoy listening to some ambient stuff now and again to relax.

hmmm.

I used to be into my punk and Metal. Bands like Korn, Blink 182, Greenday, Slipknot, Offspring, etc. Quite mainstream rock. I don't really listen to any of that very often these days, although I still appreciate it. The only bands I still listen to frequently from my early music collection is Less Than Jake.

Now, I've broadened my tastes to incorporate a little from just about every genre. ie: jazz, alt/post-rock, prog, ska/reggae/dub, hip-hop, Indian raga, black metal, Hawaiian, delta blues, emo, indie and pretty much any easy-listening.

A lot of stuff, although I can still be picky when it comes to actualy bands within htose genres.

Hmmm. RATM, Appetite For Destruction and The Black Album formed my cornerstones of rock when I were but a lad. From there, I ventured forth to heavier stuff with Carcass, Pantera and Sepultura, and I still LOVE those bands.

And of course, Rock N Roll showed the way, with the Wildhearts, Almighty, Kerbdog, Supersuckers, Rocket From tha Mutherfuckin' Crypt, Backyard Babies, ZEKE and the Ramones showing me how to rock the fuck out.

Godflesh, Ministry and Pitchshifter showed me a more mechanical way, and Sick Of It All, Shelter and Vision of Disorder were the first hardcore bands I loved. I admit to a dalliance with Nu-metal (The first Korn album is a classic), and there are even a few Limp Bizkit albums kicking about (none finer dumbed down rap-rock-pop). Deftones are still my favourite band ever.

Over the last coupla years its been the hardcore stuff thats been the most interesting (Converge, Scarlet, American Nightmare etc) but my mind is open to new country (Ryan Adams is a star, but his recent stuff is a bit poor), hip hop (love the Atmosphere record, and Wu Tang have long been a favourite), and some acoustic stuff like Tom McRae.....

I don't think I'll really ever go back on any of the stuff I've liked (hell, I'm 25 now, and still listen to the records I bought aged 15 regularly), so my parents hope that it was all "a phase" is all but lost. I probably temper my tastes a little ( I rarely return to Obituary), and theres a fine line between beautiful noise and just plain NOISE, but hell, it's all been fun!

Guest Binsex

For me it started with "bands" like The Spice girls and Moesha but before long I saw those bands becoming heavier and what I viewed at the time as being kind of thrash, so I moved into some of the lighter stuff like the jackson 5 and napalm death. I've explored all the sub genres between those 2 bands and I'm pretty content now.

Like most other people in aberdeens thriving scene, I like to hear the same music over and over that my parents used to like as teenagers.

Yeah

My music hasn't really changed alot, I liked grunge for a little bit( I have four Nirvana albums) but after that I just went up the metal scale and listened to differnt types of metal, from nu-metal, to old school metal, to the core bands of today. The only thing that has changed is that I hate Nirvana.

Guest lime ruined my life

i used to like metal.

i guess i still like some metal. but i hate metallica. i used to own like 3 of their albums, but sold them all for about 4 pounds in total.

now i listen to mostly jazz/electronica/hip hop/post rock( not so much anymore) usually.

i guess.

p.s SHUT UP!

Crikey, I spent the 80s being bombarded by Whitney Houston, Meatloaf and Pure Soft Metal. I'm frankly amazed I'm still alive, and am awaiting an out of court settlement from my cruel parents.

Alice In Chains, Nirvana and Soundgarden simultanously got me into guitar music. Since then my tastes have widened considerably, thank heavens.