aberdeen-music

Ascension re-record 12 minute Epic - Durin's Bane!

Rickicaz1279

so here it is...

we've put a bucket of shit load of effort into this one.

4 years after its creation, our 12 minute dark Epic, Durin's Bane, has been fully revamped, reproduced, and re-recorded at Dundee's awesome Seagate Studio

Durin's bane, as some of you will know, is a lord of the rings themed song. depicting the story of the dwarves of Moria, awakening the ruthless balrog, and subsequently, King durin's death, hence the name, Durin's bane! it also depicts the epic battle between gandalf and the balrog to! mmmmmm lovely cheese.

Its a little different from our traditional power metal stance, its a lot darker, has a lot of orchestral synths, some celtic folkys melodies, and some dark battle metal style vocals in it, and a couple of voiceovers here and there, and a haunting mid section.

The song will be relased on a 2 track single, with our other new recording, Time for war! as a promotional CD, which we will be giving away for free at gigs etc etc, will also be released as a free download! and TIme for war will be aired on a good few radio stations, including Northsound one in the coming weeks!

its 12 minutes long, yes thats quite long, but if you think you might like this, i really suggest you check it out, its our BEST recording to date, quality wise at least! and we spent as much studio time on this as a band would do on perhaps a 4 track EP.

Hope you guys can give us some feedback ;) - Ascension on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Ive downloaded it and listened to it a good few times. I like metal but this isnt my cup of tea. but you certainly know what you want as a band and how to go about it, It sounds just as good as other battle metal out there. the sound of the acoustic guitars is sweet, although the distorted sounds lame but thats just my opinion.

did you get a good deal recording it, how did you find recording in a studio? how long it take, 12 min songs take a long time to remember, reherse and record

word

cheers for the comments ;)

in regards to recording, we went to seagate and did drums and vocals for both the 12 minute song, and our new song time for war in a 4 hour sesh at 25 quid an hour

we took the cubase files home, and recorded all guitars through a Marshall JMP-1 and a peavey power amp rack, with a randall Cab and SM57 mic, through a presonus firebox and just straight into cubase

Did bass through a BOSS GT-10 bass sound processer, DI'd, but that didnt work to great...gunna try something else next time

we did DI the guitars as well for double effect, but there were cross-phasing issues we couldnt resolve with the time we had :/

went back to seagate with everything, did a 4 hour mixing and mastering sesh, and also greame at seagate did about 4 hours mixing in downtime coz he liked the music so much :)

so yeah it wasnt to bad a deal! spread it out a good bit, probably going to be recording our guitars using rocktron preamps next time, and experimenting with better guitar tones, thats the one thing we werent to chuffed with, and it was our own fault. but its nae to bad!

the sound quality aint bad

but the song is realy predictable, are the lead guitars before the mellow section meant to be mixed to low in the mix, i have to listen thru headfones to ever hear it was there. not a fan of the synthy/piano bits (but if thats your bag then fair do's)

personaly i got bored about half way thru but im sure i know whats gona happen

que riffy section fallowed by by 4 or so minutes of solo (one guitarist then the other then in harmony) and then do it all over again, am i right?

you guys have definatly put alot of effort into this, it does show and i can see what you are tring to achive but personaly i find no thrills in another dragonforce

constructive criticism whether you like it or not :up: