aberdeen-music

Reggae Music

Bluest_Jay

I most definitely love reggae and dub, mainly 70s Golden Age of Roots stuff, The Congos, Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Burning Spear U Roy, I Roy, Roy Castle, (er), Augustus Pablo, The Upsetters, Steel Pulse, Lee Perry productions and loads of random versions, not so keen on the Dancehall Burn a Buftie style though, and DigiReggae doesn't do it for me, but in principle, yes, Reggae is ace.

I love a bit of reggae. Luckily, where I'm living it is pretty much the main popular genre of music. Where back home guitar music, in all its variations, is the main crowd puller, here it is all rubadub sound systems that tickles people's fancies. I've found there is nowhere near the same amateur musical output in France as there is in the UK where everyone seems to be in a band. Music wise Britain is ace. Here, a very high percentage of local bands and young folk starting out play reggae, dub or ethnic music. Even the electronic artists tend towards a more dubby sound. This is fine if u like reggae but for variety, britian is better.

Here's a few reggae/afro/ethnic bands I've gotten to quite like since being here if anyone is interested...

Danakil

Massilia sound system

Raspigaous

Mei Tei Sho

Gnawa Diffusion

I'll come straight out and say I have heard very little new reggae that I like, even less non-Jamaican reggae, but I'll try and check these links at some point* to see if my prejudices hold up or not. I blame all that Crusty Digi-Dub made by hunners of Tarquins, that and bands going from good to shite almost overnight (see Dreadzone post 1st album, Zion Train). I am liking Dubstep that has strong Reggae DNA, ie, quite a lot, though.

*Unless I have to listen through PC speakers, in which case its not worth the bother, nae bass=nae human interest.

I'll come straight out and say I have heard very little new reggae that I like, even less non-Jamaican reggae, but I'll try and check these links at some point* to see if my prejudices hold up or not. I blame all that Crusty Digi-Dub made by hunners of Tarquins, that and bands going from good to shite almost overnight (see Dreadzone post 1st album, Zion Train). I am liking Dubstep that has strong Reggae DNA, ie, quite a lot, though.

*Unless I have to listen through PC speakers, in which case its not worth the bother, nae bass=nae human interest.

It's a big tune so you may have heard it before, but if not, check out Dutch Flowerz by Skream.

I was at school with 3 founder members of the Specials- in the 'Ghost Town'....:up:

We were the first generation of British kids brought up in a multi-cultural environment, I guess, so it was quite normal to hear non-chart reggae, as you walked down the street.

( Depends what part of town you lived in, of course........)

Love reggae.....the older the better! My first teenage summer, in 1970...........8-)

• 2 months later...