aberdeen-music

iPod question

Lemonade

I have a 120Gb iPod classic (one of the newer style ones) and I'm having a problem getting it to display album art. I'm currently downloading covers for all the albums on my ipod, and they are all jpegs, usually around 200-300px. I can view the files fine, and when I update iTunes with them, the artwork shows up in iTunes no problem, but when I disconnect and look at the ipod it just shows a black square for the artwork.

It's not every one, maybe 1 in every 10 don't show up properly. I can't see any pattern to them as they are the same as the ones that do show so it's not that it's a file type it doesn't support, or that the file is too big, it just doesn't seem to like these ones.

Any ideas?

?(

*awaits "cos ipods are ding, LOL" *

Guest idol_wild
I have a 120Gb iPod classic (one of the newer style ones) and I'm having a problem getting it to display album art. I'm currently downloading covers for all the albums on my ipod, and they are all jpegs, usually around 200-300px. I can view the files fine, and when I update iTunes with them, the artwork shows up in iTunes no problem, but when I disconnect and look at the ipod it just shows a black square for the artwork.

It's not every one, maybe 1 in every 10 don't show up properly. I can't see any pattern to them as they are the same as the ones that do show so it's not that it's a file type it doesn't support, or that the file is too big, it just doesn't seem to like these ones.

Any ideas?

?(

iPods are amazing - fact. But yes, I have always had similar problems with regards to the artwork and it is really frustrating because I'm quite OCD about it. I have, in the past, spent literally hours sourcing and copying album artwork on to my iPod only for it never to appear. :down:

I occasionally get that, I just resync the ipod and it usually comes across ok the second time.

What annoys me is when I get the occasional album that it itunes can't find any artwork for. Yet it finds artwork for every other album by the same band. These aren't even obscure ones I'm talking about. A couple of Queens Of The Stone Age albums, the latest Mastodon album, Tool albums and Back In Black by AC/DC.

I occasionally get that, I just resync the ipod and it usually comes across ok the second time.

What annoys me is when I get the occasional album that it itunes can't find any artwork for. Yet it finds artwork for every other album by the same band. These aren't even obscure ones I'm talking about. A couple of Queens Of The Stone Age albums, the latest Mastodon album, Tool albums and Back In Black by AC/DC.

I can't re-sync cos as soon as I ripped all my CDs and put it into the iPod I moved the files onto an external hard-drive for storage, without the artwork. I'm copying the artwork straight onto the ipod, not into iTunes then copying it across.

I also have a very anal filing system which literally took me months to set up. Then I realised that because I'd done the entire filing system on the iPod instead of on the actual files, if my ipod gets stolen or lost again I'm going to have to do it all over again on my next ipod.

I did not think that through.

I can't re-sync cos as soon as I ripped all my CDs and put it into the iPod I moved the files onto an external hard-drive for storage, without the artwork. I'm copying the artwork straight onto the ipod, not into iTunes then copying it across.

I also have a very anal filing system which literally took me months to set up. Then I realised that because I'd done the entire filing system on the iPod instead of on the actual files, if my ipod gets stolen or lost again I'm going to have to do it all over again on my next ipod.

I did not think that through.

Hmm, I think if you did the enable disc use thing then went into your iPod via my computer you could cut and paste all your tracks onto another location (say an external hardrive) and all your filenames and stuff would be retained. A pain in the arse, but iTunes just isn't particularly user friendly for this type of thing.

Hmm, I think if you did the enable disc use thing then went into your iPod via my computer you could cut and paste all your tracks onto another location (say an external hardrive) and all your filenames and stuff would be retained. A pain in the arse, but iTunes just isn't particularly user friendly for this type of thing.

Nah, I've got that ticked but I can't seem to do that. Maybe you can do a backup or something. I'll investigate, cheers.

Ah OK I see what you mean Bigsby. I can go into it via My Computer and all the files off my Ipod are there. They are all coded with 4 character filenames, so you can't actually see what any of the tracks are, but at least I can just back it up all up like that so all the info will be stored. Cheers :up:

Ah OK I see what you mean Bigsby. I can go into it via My Computer and all the files off my Ipod are there. They are all coded with 4 character filenames, so you can't actually see what any of the tracks are, but at least I can just back it up all up like that so all the info will be stored. Cheers :up:

Yeah, iTunes gives them those wierd names but actually all the info you need is still in the file and it can either be re-imported back into iTunes or some other program like Media Monkey. The only time you get into difficulties is with stuff you've actually bought from the iTunes store, but hopefully you're sensible enough not to do that.

Thats really weird because on mine it found the Back in Black and Crack the Skye albums' artwork fine. I feel your pain with the Tool albums though, it really is annoying. Think Apple must have some secret vendetta against them

Out of the 400+ albums I have on mine. I bet only 30 have artwork. I keep meaning to spend a whole afternoon recifying this, but I just can't be bothered.

This didn't help at all. I just like to moan.

im the same, most of my music isnt even tagged right so its all over the place on my ipod, thats one thing i actually hate about them, everything has to be perfectly tagged, you otherwise it becomes a mess.

Media Player seems to tag everything fine as I rip it from CD, so I've never had that problem.

I just wish the Classic was.. y'know... better. The sound quality is pants compared to my old Creative Zen. I've tried just about every EQ setting, and I've got Seinheiser earphones. Still can't hear my music when the traffic is busy.

It's a shame there is hardly any competition for mass-storage mp3 players anymore.

Any ideas?

?(

this happens to me too sometimes. It happens when itunes actually finds the artwork for you then you go find it on google as well and you paste the artwork on top.

Thats what happens with me I think.