aberdeen-music

Converting MP3 Files

Guest idol_wild

I wasn't trying to be arrogant or patronising, just gave a choice.

Right, is that why you added the popcorn? Hmm...

Anyway, I'd second the Audacity recommendation, it's a useful piece of kit for loads of reasons, not just converting.

But remember you'll also need to download the lame encoder to make it work with mp3s. It's dead easy though.

Audacity: How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder?

Guest idol_wild
Checking Google just seemed a good way to find exactly what your looking for

Stop trying to replicate Tam O'Shantie.

I think Bigsby outlined exactly why it was worthwhile to ask for advice on here:

Googling will just get you whoever pays Google the most money, asking people here who have real experience is a much better option.
I wasn't trying to be arrogant or patronising, just gave a choice.

I knew someone would come into this thread and offer that bullshit. Just fuck off.

Thank you to those who offered advice - it was very much appreciated. :)

Googling will just get you whoever pays Google the most money, asking people here who have real experience is a much better option.

Actually ,Bigsby Old Bean, it's not quite like that anymore. There is a fuckload of criteria that you need to meet to get on the front page of a search on Google these days. It ain't just about bills now.

Johnology: Shaaaaaaaaatttaaaaaaapaaaa ya face! :up:

Google is getting pretty useless for finding good freeware software tools these days. You will find an awful lot of mediocre commercial software with it though, sadly. A hot tip would be to put 'forum' in your search and you might pick up a thread like this.

Or actually ask on a forum like this. Yay forums!

Right just downloaded audacity with the lame encoder but when i upload an mp3 it plays the song at like 50000x speed .

i've tried various formats from mp3 to wav to ogg and its all coming the same

anyway idea how to sort this?

I don't actually have it installed at the moment but I don't see anyone attending to a solution for you so let me have a stab at it. It sounds like you have the sample rate set wrong so you'll need to have a look at what it's set at in Audacity. If the source for the audio was originally CD then it'll be 44.1KHz. I'm thinking you'll need to set this, along with a bit rate for LAME to encode it to play back at the correct speed.

I don't actually have it installed at the moment but I don't see anyone attending to a solution for you so let me have a stab at it. It sounds like you have the sample rate set wrong so you'll need to have a look at what it's set at in Audacity. If the source for the audio was originally CD then it'll be 44.1KHz. I'm thinking you'll need to set this, along with a bit rate for LAME to encode it to play back at the correct speed.

Cheers mate. It's abit late to be fiddling around with it but i'll look into it tomorrow after work.

The original source is in Wav. format if that helps at all.