aberdeen-music

Scotland Cricket

kirkt

Tests and ODI's in Aberdeen this summer against Canada and Ireland. Last year's game against New Zealand was good fun but should get full money's worth this time I reckon! Anyone else going?

Dunno if I could stand 5 days of watching Scotland play cricket, although I could be keen on the ODIs. When's the Ireland game?

Presumably this is at Mannofield?

• 1 month later...
Does Cricket really belong in a 'sport' forum?

Can something which can last a month and not have a winner really be deemed a sport?

More a pastime I would suggest...

Correct Dave.

Does Cricket really belong in a 'sport' forum?

Can something which can last a month and not have a winner really be deemed a sport?

More a pastime I would suggest...

I wish the "I don't like it so it's not a sport" argument actually held any water. It would certainly spell the end of Rugby Union, that's for certain. What a fucking crap game that is.

Here is my theory:

If it involves tactics, and each match is different to a good degree, it is a sport.

Golf - is therefore a sport (though i hate it, i admit it is a sport)

Snooker - a sport

Bowls - Juuuust makes it. Though if there were a middle ground between a game and sport, i'd put it there. Its a spame, or a gort.

Cricket - Deffinately. Also involves running and shit

Darts - Not a sport. Doesn't matter if your opponent is on the moon via video link, all you ever try to do is reach zero first by getting treble 20 and then whatever is left. Thats not to say I don't respect darts players for their considerable skill and accuracy. They are good at their pass-time/game.

If it's a sport it's an incredibly shit one. It's the only sport in the world you can cut to commercial break during play and not miss anything. The Ashes have been a particular annoyance this year, holding about as much relevance and interest for me as Baseball's "World Series", but with all the fervent coverage the English media usually reserves for Wayne Rooney's/David Beckham's Metatarsal during The World Cup.

Here is my theory:

If it involves tactics, and each match is different to a good degree, it is a sport.

Snooker - a sport

Bowls - Juuuust makes it. Though if there were a middle ground between a game and sport, i'd put it there. Its a spame, or a gort.

Darts - Not a sport. Doesn't matter if your opponent is on the moon via video link, all you ever try to do is reach zero first by getting treble 20 and then whatever is left. Thats not to say I don't respect darts players for their considerable skill and accuracy. They are good at their pass-time/game.

If you can play for 5 days without touching the ball, its not a sport.

If you stop 'for tea' its not a sport

If you can play for a month without deciding a winner, its not a sport

If a normal person can look at the score and not understand who has won/is winning, its not a sport.

Oh aye, and if its Shite and Scotland are Shite at it, its not a sport.

:up:

Here is my theory:

Snooker - a sport

Pretty much this, I remember a PE teacher at school saying it's a sport if it can involve frustrating the intention of an opponent. Unfortunately, he then radged when he realised that meant admitting snooker is a sport.

So, as outstanding as darts is, it isn't a sport because there's nothing you can do to stop your opponent throwing a 180. well, unless you shove him while he's throwing.

The exception, of course, is rugby.

Rugby is not a sport.

Rugby does not exist.

:up:

• 4 weeks later...