aberdeen-music

Britain's Got Talent

Monster Zero

susan boyle being shipped off to a clinic sounds like a publicity ploy to generate some sympathy for her as her dark side has been well documented in the press.

ive only watched three shows of BGT and it seems perfectly acceptable to have young children dance and sing nearly naked (and have their arm put round them by ant or dec cant remember which one) as well as children cry and break down on live television all in the name of 'entertainment'.

susan boyle being shipped off to a clinic sounds like a publicity ploy to generate some sympathy for her as her dark side has been well documented in the press.

ive only watched three shows of BGT and it seems perfectly acceptable to have young children dance and sing nearly naked (and have their arm put round them by ant or dec cant remember which one) as well as children cry and break down on live television all in the name of 'entertainment'.

or she could actually have had problems dealing with it all, come on del your surely not that cynical :p

Rather than find out about Susan Boyles backstage hysterics I'd rather find out why most of the dance acts (including the Friday night semi-finalist with 24 hours notice) managed to rehearse new routines for the final, yet all the singers sang their audition songs again.

Rather than find out about Susan Boyles backstage hysterics I'd rather find out why most of the dance acts (including the Friday night semi-finalist with 24 hours notice) managed to rehearse new routines for the final, yet all the singers sang their audition songs again.

The guy that did the Bill Withers song was murder, he wasn't even that good a singer, no idea how he got to the final.

i would imagine the dance acts have plenty of different routines they practise because they are attempting to make a career out of it where as none of the singers do it as a profession or have really attempetd it as a profession so they would only learn a couple of songs for the whole show. Try and get the best out of those songs rather than learn a new one each time.

i would imagine the dance acts have plenty of different routines they practise because they are attempting to make a career out of it where as none of the singers do it as a profession or have really attempetd it as a profession so they would only learn a couple of songs for the whole show. Try and get the best out of those songs rather than learn a new one each time.

Come on, are you saying that people entering britains got talent as singers only have a 2 song repetoir? I don't believe that for a minute. They don't have to learn a new song just tell the producers which songs theym already know and get one polished for the final. They had months between the auditions and the final.

Come on, are you saying that people entering britains got talent as singers only have a 2 song repetoir? I don't believe that for a minute. They don't have to learn a new song just tell the producers which songs theym already know and get one polished for the final. They had months between the auditions and the final.

i dont know anything for certain obviously but as i say those dance acts appear to have been doing it for a while and appear to have a certain level of professionalism about them which makes me think they would have quite a few dance routines ready whereas singers like susan boyle are only hobbie singers who enter for the very small chance of something happening and therefor they wouldnt have a set of songs they only sing a song they are most comfortable with. Also if they are not professional singers then they are maybe not able to learn newer stuff as easily as more musically minded people would. I could be completely wrong tho and the producers just make them stick with the song that got them through the auditions. I guess the other thing to look at is its not a singing contest as such so showing a greater abilty to sing different things is not as nessesary as shows like xfactor, they prob would only have to sing that one song for the Queen afterall so why learn something new when that is what you want to perform infront of her.

i dont know anything for certain obviously but as i say those dance acts appear to have been doing it for a while and appear to have a certain level of professionalism about them which makes me think they would have quite a few dance routines ready whereas singers like susan boyle are only hobbie singers who enter for the very small chance of something happening and therefor they wouldnt have a set of songs they only sing a song they are most comfortable with. Also if they are not professional singers then they are maybe not able to learn newer stuff as easily as more musically minded people would. I could be completely wrong tho and the producers just make them stick with the song that got them through the auditions. I guess the other thing to look at is its not a singing contest as such so showing a greater abilty to sing different things is not as nessesary as shows like xfactor, they prob would only have to sing that one song for the Queen afterall so why learn something new when that is what you want to perform infront of her.

All your arguments in that quote could easily be applied to the dance acts, so why did they have new routines? Diversity's routine wasn't an old one they had hanging around it had bits obviously just created for Britains Got Talent (the buzzer section being the obvious example).

How many hobby singers do you know that can only sing one song? Everyone into music could recite the lyrics of a few of their favourite songs, at least enough to get by at kareoke (or shit gameshows, ever had the misfortune to watch Don't Forget The Lyrics). They had loads of time to get another song up to speed.

All your arguments in that quote could easily be applied to the dance acts, so why did they have new routines? Diversity's routine wasn't an old one they had hanging around it had bits obviously just created for Britains Got Talent (the buzzer section being the obvious example).

But my arguemnt was that the dance acts most likely are trying to establish a career and work very hard at what they do whereas most of the singers have jobs and careers outwith what they performed on the show. All the dance acts appart from the breakdancing grandad will going to be professional dancers i would imagine after the exposure they get on the show.

How many hobby singers do you know that can only sing one song? Everyone into music could recite the lyrics of a few of their favourite songs, at least enough to get by at kareoke (or shit gameshows, ever had the misfortune to watch Don't Forget The Lyrics). They had loads of time to get another song up to speed.

Can you say for certain susan boyle knows the words to more than two songs off by heart? Can you say she would have been comfortable singing a song she maybe learned a month ago compared to a song she maybe has sang all her life? As i say its not like most of these singers are trying to make it big time, or have tried to make it big time, those ones usually go onto xfactor as that is a competition for singers, this is a talent show, if her talent is too sing that one song well, then that is her talent, that one song, not being a great singer or performer.

Can you say for certain susan boyle knows the words to more than two songs off by heart? Can you say she would have been comfortable singing a song she maybe learned a month ago compared to a song she maybe has sang all her life?

No, but it wasn't just her. All the singers performed their audition songs.

Susan Boyle's goal all along has been to become a professional singer. That's what she's said since the first audition.

No, but it wasn't just her. All the singers performed their audition songs.

Susan Boyle's goal all along has been to become a professional singer. That's what she's said since the first audition.

Yes but its not a singing contest, just a talent contest, if their talent is that one or two songs then so be it, if their talent is being able to perform 20 different dance routines then again so be it, that is their talent.

She may dream of being a professional singer, as most of us on here have dreamed of being in a big sucessful band, however not many of us have done a lot about making that happen, as i would imagine is the case for her, i woud doubt she has taken many professional singing lessons if any she most likely is one of those with a natural voice, BUT that doesnt mean she has the ability to learn a new song to the same standard as the song she chose in her audition. Again remember these people are not on the show primarily to make a career they are there to earn a place performing their specific talent infront of the queen in the hope it will help their career.

Yes but its not a singing contest, just a talent contest, if their talent is that one or two songs then so be it, if their talent is being able to perform 20 different dance routines then again so be it, that is their talent.

She may dream of being a professional singer, as most of us on here have dreamed of being in a big sucessful band, however not many of us have done a lot about making that happen, as i would imagine is the case for her, i woud doubt she has taken many professional singing lessons if any she most likely is one of those with a natural voice, BUT that doesnt mean she has the ability to learn a new song to the same standard as the song she chose in her audition. Again remember these people are not on the show primarily to make a career they are there to earn a place performing their specific talent infront of the queen in the hope it will help their career.

If their talent is to sing one song well then they don't deserve to be in the final. The acts that didn't change their performance enough for the semi final didn't make it through, likewise the acts that the judges thought were one trick ponies. They didn't even make the semi final.

If their talent is to sing one song well then they don't deserve to be in the final. The acts that didn't change their performance enough for the semi final didn't make it through, likewise the acts that the judges thought were one trick ponies. They didn't even make the semi final.

You mean like the opera singer from last year, or the little girl singing somewhere over the rainbow or the dancing kid george, they never did anything different for the show, infact the little girl sang the same song three times, judges didnt have any problem with that.

Put yourself in this position for heresay, your band is in a battle of the bands, you play your best song and get through to the final, do you then play another song you may not be as comfotable with or do you play the same song you feel you play best?

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I really don't think it matters. Simon Cowell's milking the fuck out of the british public with all these variations on the traditional talent show.

I wish he would just take his money and fuck off now.

Put yourself in this position for heresay, your band is in a battle of the bands

Not going to happen.

But that aside I kind of see your point, but then again at a battle of the bands you'll probably be playing a whole set (or at least the bulk of one), not just a single song.

The dancing kid did 3 different routines, though his 3rd one was a bit rushed as he only had 24 hours notice.

I guess my main gripe is the inconcistency. If Diversity, Flawless etc. can choreograph and practice new dance routines in time for the final then there's no excuse for a singer not being able to learn a new song. If the show decreed that the singers do their audition songs (as it seems they must have for all of them to take that option) then why force the dancers to change their routines?

Not going to happen.

But that aside I kind of see your point, but then again at a battle of the bands you'll probably be playing a whole set (or at least the bulk of one), not just a single song.

The dancing kid did 3 different routines, though his 3rd one was a bit rushed as he only had 24 hours notice.

I guess my main gripe is the inconcistency. If Diversity, Flawless etc. can choreograph and practice new dance routines in time for the final then there's no excuse for a singer not being able to learn a new song. If the show decreed that the singers do their audition songs (as it seems they must have for all of them to take that option) then why force the dancers to change their routines?

haha i did say heresay!! Yes you would play a set of songs i was just trying to get my point across in a way you could relate slightly too.

I do see your point in a way but as ive said its not a competition to find the best in their field, only to find someone with a talent good enough to be shown infront of the queen, anything else is secondary to that.

Have you considered that perhaps they are given the choice and the singers chose to stick with what they knew whereas the dancers (who ive said are most likely more professional) were more willing to show their ability to perform more than just the one act?

Have you considered that perhaps they are given the choice and the singers chose to stick with what they knew whereas the dancers (who ive said are most likely more professional) were more willing to show their ability to perform more than just the one act?

It's a possibility. We'd have no way of knowing really unless someone came out and described the process behind the scenes.

But it seems strange to me that it was a perfect split amongst the acts. All the dancers either came up with new routines or revised their auditions (Stavros Flatley pretty much did the same thing with a few changes) while the singers all performed the exact same song they did in the audition. If it was down to personal choice I'd expect a more fuzzy mix, with some dancers sticking and some singers changing.

Anyway, I'm off to walk home in the sun...

It's a possibility. We'd have no way of knowing really unless someone came out and described the process behind the scenes.

But it seems strange to me that it was a perfect split amongst the acts. All the dancers either came up with new routines or revised their auditions (Stavros Flatley pretty much did the same thing with a few changes) while the singers all performed the exact same song they did in the audition. If it was down to personal choice I'd expect a more fuzzy mix, with some dancers sticking and some singers changing.

Anyway, I'm off to walk home in the sun...

me too, a quick walk through the moors again on the way home will banish these thoughts of BGT of BoB :)