aberdeen-music

Never mind the Buzzcocks, punk rock bands in Aberdeen soon,it's your call

Biz

dunno if we are upset are we?

bemused maybe.......

comparing what you say to my face' date=' and what you post on here (total opposites) shows you to be incredibly two faced or mentally confused[/quote']

before i proceed that deffo works both ways, remember before the drakes gig, you went out to your way to slag me off on these boards but were very different when i saw you that night. anyhow as mr munch quite rightly points out it was one of my misguided drunken rants, a bit of a wind up. liked the bit about being the ex girlfriend though! dunno why sharon saw fit to get so personal but hey i'm middle aged enough to have a thick skin though i suspect it was just another wind up (hell what are we like on these boards). you should know me well enough by now to know shite like that i post when pissed. although early in the morning today i'm posting, me monthly bout of insomnia is why i'm up at this unholy hour.

yes of course i still get occasionally get upset about how i was thrown out the band but i really dont think about at all these days (except in occasional moments of drunken madness). and just to clarify what i meant by 'buzz' i was meaning that thrill when you get a truly great record that sends shivers down your spine.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want reasoning for my acting like I did...

Here:

Well, I've had the same comments repeated to me like a broken record for the past 9 months. In this space in time, I have improved in all departments musically (I'm not claiming to be perfect by any means, or even good for that matter). But being accused of being a "puppet" by someone who doesn't even know the working layout of the band was... to me.. a "personal" insult. The fact that all insults in said post by Del were directed towards myself ALSO made me feel although this were a "personal" attack.

Also being told that I never write anything by someone who isn't even present anymore was seen as an uneducated remark... in Del's case extremely hyprtical... giving his previous distinct lack of in-put.

That is why I snapped as such.

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch
before i proceed that deffo works both ways' date=' remember before the drakes gig, you went out to your way to slag me off on these boards but were very different when i saw you that night. anyhow as mr munch quite rightly points out it was one of my misguided drunken rants, a bit of a wind up. liked the bit about being the ex girlfriend though! dunno why sharon saw fit to get so personal but hey i'm middle aged enough to have a thick skin though i suspect it was just another wind up (hell what are we like on these boards). you should know me well enough by now to know shite like that i post when pissed. although early in the morning today i'm posting, me monthly bout of insomnia is why i'm up at this unholy hour.

yes of course i still get occasionally get upset about how i was thrown out the band but i really dont think about at all these days (except in occasional moments of drunken madness). and just to clarify what i meant by 'buzz' i was meaning that thrill when you get a truly great record that sends shivers down your spine.[/quote']

You know something Del and Steve?

Its almost only a year ago that both of you were helping each other to organise that fucking great anti-war mini festival at Cafe Drummonds, Real Shocks were absolutely fantastic that night as well although not as ace as Electric Tibet were but fantastic all the same.

Guess we'll never see the likes of gigs like that again in Aberdeen. Shame really :(

Guest Jake Wifebeater

That was great as it was our first ever gig and we'd love to play something like that again. We were fucking awful but we still enjoyed it!

Well' date=' I've had the same comments repeated to me like a broken record for the past 9 months. In this space in time, I have improved in all departments musically (I'm not claiming to be perfect by any means, or even good for that matter). But being accused of being a "puppet" by someone who doesn't even know the working layout of the band was... to me.. a "personal" insult. The fact that all insults in said post by Del were directed towards myself ALSO made me feel although this were a "personal" attack. [/quote']

I think part of the problem is that sometimes you come across as being a bit too boastful and tend to have a knack of throwing a lot of bravado about the place when you've not really proven anything of yourself as a musician.

Now i am not doubting what you've learned and what you can do with a synth but thats my perception of some of the stuff you write on this site with regard to the band.

I think maybe thats what set Del off by what he said because you immediately compared what you do yourself in Real Shocks to what Devo do and immediately there, i think maybe that statement in itself could be interpreted by someone reading it as bravado but i can't speak for Del, i ain't spoken to him in person for months cos i have been too busy, i am sure he for one could tell you what he thought or meant by it.

I think its kinda like someone who uses these messageboards saying something like "i am as good as a guitarist as Jimi Hendrix was" or "i am the only saxophone player in Aberdeen who sounds as good as when Charlie Parker played jazz" or "i think i am as good a drummer as John Bonham ever was", if someone was to say those things on this site most people would just think they were a joke and therefore have a lot to prove of themselves as a musician if they're comparing themselves to innovative musicians like that.

Whats more insulting i think to him is the fact that you've only been playing synth for a short while and he has been playing it for quite a number of years and probably knows more about it than you do yet you're already comparing yourself to better musicians who've also been playing synth for years and in some cases, saying you're a better musician than he is because he apparently doesn't know what a modulation wheel is and never knew how to master one and blah blah blah.

Its pretty insulting saying that to a fellow musician because its like a guitarist saying to another guitarist here that they don't know how to use an effects pedal properly and must therefore be a total fucking loser, i doubt many people would swallow the words of someone who has just picked up a guitar and learned how to play a few chords after a couple of months and come onto this messageboard to say "you know what?, i reckon i am Aberdeen's answer to Jimmy Page" and in turn, insult other guitarists about what they can and cannot do with their instrument.

Nobody likes someone that brags like that cos 1) it makes you sound like a bigheaded arsehole 2) means you have prove yourself to be as good a musician as your boasts claim you are 3) you automatically make a mockery of the rest of the band because if you can't back up your words about how good you are then people are going to say you're a shit musician and that the whole band is shit and nothing is more damaging than word of mouth 4) it also makes a mockery of other musicians who play the synth in Aberdeen who've been playing that instrument for years but are not part of a band and who don't play gigs, you're immediately saying that you're a better musician than they are.

I am sure what you said was just reactionary but some words are difficult to interpret in the context they're intended, perhaps in this case between yourself, Del and Steve that is whats happened.

I am trying to be as diplomatic as i can with regard to all this cos i think the whole thing between Real Shocks and Del needs to be concluded once and for all cos its been boiling away for too long now, its something Del and Steve ought to sort out in person and not by arguing on some shitty messageboard that everyone in this close-knit city who uses it has access to, especially when both of them are adults and are more intelligent than that.

Also being told that I never write anything by someone who isn't even present anymore was seen as an uneducated remark... in Del's case extremely hyprtical... giving his previous distinct lack of in-put.

Well, i don't know to what extent how much input he had in Real Shocks so i will leave Del to answer that question for himself.

But once again, your last sentence there about "previous distinct lack of input" is uncalled for and just highlights and proves exactly what i have discussed above, why is there such a big fucking superiority complex going on in this thread?

Why is that all that seems to be being discussed here is Del's supposed shortcomings and failures and lack of input and how much he didn't contribute to the band?.

Why was he in the band if he was supposedly such a shite musician who knew fuck all about anything if what you and Steve are saying is indeed true?

And why was he in the band for as long as he was if everything he did was a load of bollocks and was worth ridiculing about at great length on these messageboards?

There seems to be too much egotism going on in all sides of this argument, Del included

i think the whole thing between Real Shocks and Del needs to be concluded once and for all

What ''whole thing''????

Del acted like a Dick to other people in the band and was asked to leave. A long time ago.

End of ''thing''

So yeh Biz,

A cover of ''Punka'' by Le Ritz (CIRCA 77) would be good, or anything by X (CIRCA 76-78)

That was great as it was our first ever gig and we'd love to play something like that again. We were fucking awful but we still enjoyed it!

No you were amazing.....unstable musically but probably all the more exiting for the sense that it could all collapse at any second.

It was probably my favorite gig of last year, even though I spent most of it terrified that it was gonna be a flop.

Something along the lines of that gig may have to be repeated if the a cause appears that needs a united protest....lets face it, its a certainty then.

For the record Chris, the anti war gig was the work of Patrick Gray, the bands who took part, the sound man, Eric at Drummonds and me. I dont recall that Del did anything other than play a synthesiser for 20 minutes.

yes and no

Thanks but no thanks, Pete Pinhead from 16 again can handle the work of 2 guitarists on his own.

Yes there will be a festival in Drummonds on Sunday 26th September 2004,for now it is called NEVER MIND THE BUZZCOCKS GET INTAE THIS ,

it is to raise funds to take a bus load of OAPs on a day trip and to have them be entertained in the home.

Real Shocks,16 again and XS RELOCAT are confirmed to play.

I don't think I am that great on drums,but then again Buddy Rich,Neal Peart, Taylor Hawkins and Dave Grohl are the drummers who I think excell at what they do and make me feel like playing along to their CDs.

All this comparison stuff is not woth yer breath, everyone has something new to offer, and having taught for years, I am always chuffed when a complete beginner comes up with something different.

Stop bitchin and get giggin.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR namby pamby shite

ah Biz, the voice of reason! quite right an all.

yes mr betamax is correct on two counts.

i had mostly bugger all to do with the anti war gig apart from being there, writing about it in the paper and possibly putting up a couple of posters. good day though!

and yes i was asked to leave the band cos i was being a dick.

What ''whole thing''????

Del acted like a Dick to other people in the band and was asked to leave. A long time ago.

End of ''thing'

Fair enough if he was acting like a dick but you're also acting like a dick now with your entire behaviour towards the guy for daring to have an opinion about Real Shocks...

Does that mean i can ask you to leave?

And i sincerely doubt whatever heinous and shocking crimes against Real Shocks' humanity that you say Del caused the band hardly excuses the insults and abuse you've been chucking at him in this thread.

He just said he preferred the band before both he and Sharon joined...i hardly think that warrants the shit you've said about the guy on this thread....

End of "thing"

P.S Steven, act your age...not your shoe size...one more question, do you get size 40 shoes by the way? ;)

Fair enough if he was acting like a dick but you're also acting like a dick now with your entire behaviour towards the guy for daring to have an opinion about Real Shocks...

Does that mean i can ask you to leave?

And i sincerely doubt whatever heinous and shocking crimes against Real Shocks' humanity that you say Del caused the band hardly excuses the insults and abuse you've been chucking at him in this thread.

He just said he preferred the band before both he and Sharon joined...i hardly think that warrants the shit you've said about the guy on this thread....

End of "thing"

P.S Steven' date=' act your age...not your shoe size...one more question, do you get size 40 shoes by the way? ;)[/quote']

ok just for the record before i get accused of putting mr munch into my corner for fighting me battles i'd better explain what i was trying to say in a nice sober way. i know the members of the band couldnt give a shit about my opinion which is fair enough. i happen to have an opinion because believe it or not i do actually still care about the band and their music.

i dont think a few insults do anyone any harm i dished a few out got a few back, most of us on these boards dont really take it that seriously, nobodys perfect we all have faults. Last thursday i was feeling depressed just about life in general and although i am a 35 year old man who really should know better, i started drinking a bottle of whisky far too quickly.

so i'm pissing about on aberdeen music and came across this thread whilst i happened to be listening to a CD of early Real Shocks. its the little 'mini' album i put together of the lithium single and the stuff the band did with John Rivers. it remains a fave record of mine. something clicked inside when i read some of sharon's posts, i just thought 'blimey you've been in the band less than a year, why do you seem so hell bent on proving yourself as a musician and comparing yourselves to others (to be honest i thought the first rule of being a real shock was to not be a musician!). ' and it just got me thinking back to before i even knew the band and how i loved the whole concept and mysique of the project and the fact that it sounded like nothing else around at the time.

then i got to thinking the last time i saw the band at the moorings a couple of months ago and whilst it was occasionally thrilling thinking back i found quite a lot of the set a bit dull, samey and uninspiring. still better than most though. so thats where the comments came from, i can understand why they would kick off and insult me, it was hardly constructive, i hope it reads a little clearer in this form. for the record sharon is coming on leaps and bounds, i know how much they actually take what they do seriously and how hard working they are but you know nowadays there is still something missing when the band plays live which would explain why they are wanting to recruit a sax player.

but you know its not even an opinion i can really hold in the cold light of day as i can only base my current judgement on two performances of the band and a session on vic galloway's air programme. In hindsight it was just an opinion i concluded at the time and i'm sorry for any offence caused. i look forward to hearing the finished album when i purchase it. anyhow i said i know you dont give a shit about what i have to say but thought i'd better explain it in a more rational way.

i know we all have better things to do than carry on exchanging insults.

Cheers Del.

That makes muchos sense now. All fair comments above.

Kris - I wasn't saying I was as skilled or as talented as Devo... I just happen to write the odd hook that is heavy on the Devo influence... that's what I was meaning. If I were as good as Devo... jesus... it'd be wonderful.

PS: I have never claimed to be a talented musician... because... I'm not.

Kris - I wasn't saying I was as skilled or as talented as Devo... I just happen to write the odd hook that is heavy on the Devo influence... that's what I was meaning. If I were as good as Devo... jesus... it'd be wonderful.

PS: I have never claimed to be a talented musician... because... I'm not.

If you go back and read what i said, i never said you were saying you were as skilled or talented as Devo, i said some people may interpret some of your comments in that way and that in itself may be insulting to others who are synth players themselves.

I just thought your comments as well as Steve's towards someone's opinions of the band were verging on nothing more than a personal unwarranted attack, regardless of Del being a friend of mine i would've said the same to him if he was giving someone the same level of abuse to someone who had dared to have an opinion of the band.

Like i said before, if you're in a band and putting out music, you should expect to get some criticism in some shape or form but attacking people who don't like what you're doing or feel you haven't improved is a hell of a shitty attitude to have and one which doesn't do the band any favours at all.

End of "thing"

well i think its developing into a 'swings n roundabouts' thing as i'm sure someone once said on eastenders.

there's much more worthy causes to vent anger at though - tony blair, dean gaffney and lily savage for example.

again biz apologies for sabotaging your thread yet again...

i dont think a few insults do anyone any harm i dished a few out got a few back' date=' most of us on these boards dont really take it that seriously, nobodys perfect we all have faults. Last thursday i was feeling depressed just about life in general and although i am a 35 year old man who really should know better, i started drinking a bottle of whisky far too quickly.

[/quote']

if you can't control your drink problem, dont take it out on other people, or hide behind the problem - by blaming the drink for your behaviour, just get some professional help

you need to get your own life sorted out and stop obsessing about what other people are doing

you fucked up you know that - so get over it - and stop blaming us - sort yourself out - no one else is gonna for you

Handbags at dawn

I am nae gay or owt...but why don't you just unzip the jail doors.let out the one eyed convicts and suck each other off,the first to come is the winner,and that will mean the end of this namby pamby thread hijacking business,even I have forgotten the original question,ha ha ha you guys should go to the comedy nights in Drummonds,you excel at speaking shite,ha ha ha,anyway XS RELOCAT ARE AT dRUMMONDS ON mONDAY 16TH August,wahey NEW songs,and 16 again are probably gigging there on Monday 23rd,cheers,Biz.