aberdeen-music

Never mind the Buzzcocks, punk rock bands in Aberdeen soon,it's your call

Biz

Mekons

where were you? As it happens both bands will play The Lemon Tree Weds 22nd Sept,but 16 again only get a 40 minute slot

which do you want?

New Rose Janie Jones Tommy gun Let's lynch the landlord Sonic Reducer Rockaway beach In a Rut A Bomb Head kicked in tonight Homicide I'm on fire Uncontrollable urge Shot by both sides Time's up Autonomy Chinese rocks Mars bars In the City Submission etc etc

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm real shocks have really got to the stage of kidding themselves on the creative process, sharon you skawk like kelly osboune face the facts its not only me who thinks this.....

i commend sharon for her puppet status as an uber rock chick, last time i saw the band there was nothing to suggest you had any input into the band's songs (unless you've sabotaged the work of mr betamax and made it worse). maybe thats the influence you have on the groop.

personally i still think real shocks were better before i joined (apart from the last pre halliwell oops sorry sharon gg at bannerman's last august), they've struggled to capture the buzz they created when they initially came out but you know in hidsight the 7A recordings were pretty neat has to be said. and they wrote their second best song 'openness is dangerous' in my absence which shows that steve, dan and nick are the real creative force of the band, they've been together long enough!

"Struggled to capture the buzz".... hmm, Del you out of all people should know we are'nt really trying to create a buzz...... we just do the real shocks thang........

And anyway.......... I never heard of any buzz?.... I wish someone had told me....... maybe I could have scored some chicks...... (But not seagul chicks!... the Fcukin balls of gray shit)........

But in response to the original tread:- Biz, I would prefer a mixture of different tunes..... :popcorn:

hmmm real shocks have really got to the stage of kidding themselves on the creative process' date=' sharon you skawk like kelly osboune face the facts its not only me who thinks this.....

i commend sharon for her puppet status as an uber rock chick, last time i saw the band there was nothing to suggest you had any input into the band's songs (unless you've sabotaged the work of mr betamax and made it worse). maybe thats the influence you have on the groop.

personally i still think real shocks were better before i joined (apart from the last pre halliwell oops sorry sharon gg at bannerman's last august), they've struggled to capture the buzz they created when they initially came out but you know in hidsight the 7A recordings were pretty neat has to be said. and they wrote their second best song 'openness is dangerous' in my absence which shows that steve, dan and nick are the real creative force of the band, they've been together long enough![/quote']

ERM.....just reading that highly innacurate shite-o-post underlines why its best you are not in the band anymore ... you never really got it, obviously

I reckon you need to take a close look at your own failings rather than invent some for other people that you know nothing about

Im not gonna defend anyone in our band cos none of us need defending

you are starting to sound scarily like a jealous ex girlfreinds answer phone message (at the time of the month after a night out, crying and swearing into her chip supper)

and this bizarre wee twisted analysis you do, of everything we do and anything we might have done ever, is now bordering on unhealthy obsessive behaviour - we might have to alert the authorities/Cornhill Hospital

one day sir I hope you get over it

and yeh *chortle*.....''buzz''.....WTF! if we wanted a ''buzz'' we would just pop down to Ann Summers.....fucks sake....you never really knew us then at all.

How about some of the more obscure bands from the 70s? Most the bands you've listed are practically household names.....how about...

PUNISHMENT OF LUXURY (secrets or brainbomb, or both!)

THE VALVES (for adolfs only,.....A D O L F P A!!!!)

THE NOSEBLEEDS (fascist pigs....raging stuff)

ART ATTACKS (I am a dalek!!)

CRISIS (anything off the No Town Hall EP)

GENERATION X (Day by day!!! awesome)

THE LURKERS (Shadow!)

THE MANIACS (Chelsea 1977)

WIRE (anything of pink flag)

SUBURBAN STUDS (I hate school)

THE PIGS (pyschopath)

EATER (lock it up)

.... get the idea :D:D:D

hmmm real shocks have really got to the stage of kidding themselves on the creative process' date=' sharon you skawk like kelly osboune face the facts its not only me who thinks this.....

personally i still think real shocks were better before i joined (apart from the last pre halliwell oops sorry sharon gg at bannerman's last august), they've struggled to capture the buzz they created when they initially came out but you know in hidsight the 7A recordings were pretty neat has to be said. and they wrote their second best song 'openness is dangerous' in my absence which shows that steve, dan and nick are the real creative force of the band, they've been together long enough![/quote']

This is rich coming from a middle aged wash up who can't seem to fathom the use of a modulation wheel...

What would you know? You've been out the band for almost 9 months... I know you could never quite grasp the world of writing hooks, Del... but strangely enough, others are capable of doing so, it's called "working at it".

Hows the Helium Leg anyways? All set for national TOTP success?

Got laid yet? I feel all this anger inside you is maybe due to frustrations... hmmm???

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h huh hu huh

You guys have made me laugh out loud for 5 minutes ,it all seems all the funnier as you probably actually care enough to be pissed off,ha ha ha just let it lie and go and do something instead like buy me a drink at a King Liar gig,they ROCK,best thing I've seen in a while.

Just found this thread. This punk cover thing could be a great idea. As far as I'm concerned this is the best period for Rock n Roll music and there is no shortage of amazing songs which someone my age has never been able to experience live.

Other suggestions for covers:

This Perfect Day by The Saints.

The Saints are Coming by The Skids.

One Chord Wonders by The Adverts.

Mary of the Fourth Form by The Boomtown Rats.

Swords of a Thousand Men by Tenpole Tudor

Also, if you're gonna do Clash stuff, do some of the reggae stuff like 'Police and Thieves'. I know their version was itself a cover of a Junior Murvin song, but it sounds punk as fuck in the scene near the start of 'Rude Boy'.

As far as Generation X are concerned i think they might not have been considered a 'real' punk band due to the pretty boy status of Mr. Idol, but they have some fantastic songs. For me it would have to be 'Ready Steady Go!'.

Are you playing gigs in the near future or is it still all at an early stage?

Yes. But logic does not occur to Biz when it comes to Namby Pamby Shite - it seems to be more a gut feeling for him from what I've gathered. And I just get the impression that he would view Hanoi Rocks as being slightly on the Namby side of Pamby Shite. Maybe not though.

Whilst we're on the subject, I've started using the term 'Namby Pamby Shite' an awful lot recently. It encapsulates so much in so few words. It just rolls off the tongue. A wonderful phrase.

shun worthless dirge

that's what FUCK NAMBY SHITE means,we sold van loads of t shirts and long sleeved tops and hoodies,shorts,hats,underpants!etc etc with the bands logo on the front and on some the cheeky shite on the back,others included I'm too mighty for my stoat, and, come on baby mince my tatties,it paid the bills,and quite a lot more than gig fees,plus we did it ourselves and gave punters good quality merchandise at discount prices, like 4 for a screen stars best t shirt screen printed tae!

By the way I used to have hair like the singer out of Hanoi Rocks .but shaved it off after a little kid in the street said I looked like Limahl oot o Kajagoogoo,so although they were a wee bit on the namby side Hanoi Rocks did actually ROCK,in a lame assed American sort of way,

Anyway tonight (Sunday 18th July),XS RELOCAT are doing a secret gig at The MOORINGS OPEN MIKE NIGHT,so if you want to hear us try oot wir new songs come doon aboot 8pm.

I guarantee you will not hear any namby pamby shite apart from our instrumental STAIRWAY which will shock the pants aff ye after a minute or so,come on doon,but ye hid better wear earplugs cos wir afa loud,cheers,Biz

This is rich coming from a middle aged wash up who can't seem to fathom the use of a modulation wheel...

What would you know? You've been out the band for almost 9 months... I know you could never quite grasp the world of writing hooks' date=' Del... but strangely enough, others are capable of doing so, it's called "working at it".

Hows the Helium Leg anyways? All set for national TOTP success?

Got laid yet? I feel all this anger inside you is maybe due to frustrations... hmmm???[/quote']

your more stupid and star struck than WHAT I THOUGHT......

dunno what betamax and halliwell are getting so upset about' date=' real shocks are ordinary these days[/quote']

dunno if we are upset are we?

bemused maybe.......

comparing what you say to my face, and what you post on here (total opposites) shows you to be incredibly two faced or mentally confused

kING rOCKER round three buzzin like a bee

AND IN THE RED CORNER,WORLD CHAMPION ARM WRESTLER of the united states of Torry Delllllllllllllll boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

And in the Blue corner Beeeeeeeeeeetaaaaaaaaaamax the trannnnnnnnny,ably assisted by his assistant CANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDY FLAVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

THIS WILL BE A 3 ROUND BOUT WITH EXTRA POINTS FOR BELOW THE BELT PUNCHES.

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch
I would rather encourage bands to perform their own material.

I wish more bands here would perform their own material as well.

But i think its too much to ask for.

Try asking for a band to play Blink 182 soundalike songs, you'll get about 30 bands here wanting to do the job.

No matter what you do' date=' it wont sound like "punk REALLY sounded like" back then anyway, it'll just be a sad imitation! :moody:

It depresses me greatly that there are so many tribute bands on the go.[/quote']

Thats the Aberdeen Music Scene for ya - full of depressingly sad imitations!

Punk has been done, why not do something new?...

that was the whole reason punk was invented after all

Just noticed on this thread that Del and the Real Shocks are at loggerheads again...

I am gonna be a bit diplomatic here and say a few things to all parties regarding this because its become a fucking ridiculous shit argument that needs to be fucking sorted out...

Steve -

why get all personal with the guy when he just said he preferred Real Shocks before he joined to what they are now? i preferred Suede when Bernard Butler was in them and i preferred Jesus And Mary Chain in their Psychocandy days, i also preferred the Sex Pistols when Sid Vicious wasn't in them, he just said he thought the band was better before both himself and Sharon joined them and he doesn't think the band improved any when Sharon joined....its just one guy's opinion. Is he not allowed to have an opinion on the band and their music? i don't think its good for a band to not allow people to criticise them....i would say just take it on the chin but there's obviously more to this than both of you are letting on and if so, why have it out on a fucking public messageboard?

i remember you having a go at GraemeC a good couple of times in the past with the way he handled any criticisms being levelled at Alyssa's Wish, you're no different to what he was with the way he reacted to the shit he was saying about the band he managed. He was just doing the same, defending the people he worked closely with in that band yet you gave him hell for it.

yeah sure Del is a friend of mine but i would still the same against any other person who was throwing out insults after i dared to criticise the band because i think bands aren't above any criticism and i am as outspoken as you Steve and i don't back down like you do either, you know me well enough to know how argumentative and defensive i can be, i am as passionate about music as you are and if i don't like something then i will make it known and give my opinion, i don't see how you can deny Del his opinion even if you do think its wrong.

i don't think what Del said was what you could class as constructive criticism sure but he was merely stating a preference with regard to your band, i don't see why any of your band members should be insulted by that.

you'd be surprised at how highly Del rates the solo music you do Steve, he is harped on about it enough to me over a few beers!

besides, i think anything he said was probably one of his famous drunken rants on the messageboards, he's been known to be a lot more honest and a lot less diplomatic with his opinions when he is a bit pissed

i am sure there are some people out there who don't think Del, or Sharon, for that matter improved the band but i am sure since it was your band that you would probably have defended Del's inclusion when he was around because you made the decision to let him in just as you're defending your decision to let Sharon in now but there's always going to be people who are going to have that "if it ain't broken then why fix it?" attitude, i think because Del was a former band member is probably whats causing these rather harsh reactions from yourself which suggests to me that there's more to all this than meets the eye...

Del -

as personal as some of your comments sound on this thread(and Steve too), i think its about time you and Steve sorted out what issues you two got with each other once and for all, you're both meant to be adults ain't you?.

you pair of fuckers got more in common than both of you care to let on, take this shit between you off the messageboards and talk on the phone, go down the pub, have a punch-up, just sort it out why don't you?

Either way, just tell the guy in person and in an intelligent constructive way why you don't like the band now.

You were friends with each other for fuck's sake!

Sharon -

you also have to take criticism a bit better, especially now since you consider yourself to be a musician, trying to lay waste to people with petty libellious insults because they criticised what you do onstage as a performer/musician just makes you look like an arrogant arsehole more than anything else, one thing you will always get is criticism whether it be good or bad, learn to take it without acting like a kid thats thrown its toys out of its pram(i.e like GraemeC used to do in the past).

Devo sound like Devo, nobody else does. Enuff said.

Now go and y'all play like good kids now.

And have yourselves a lovely day.