aberdeen-music

Local bands - CDs in One Up?

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you do realise i was actually suggesting he would've been better off releasing it on Vinyl don't you?

Yes I was able to read your post, but you were saying that putting out releases on vinyl is being abstract for the sake of it, despite then saying that you like the quality of vinyl, agreeing with one of the reasons I cited for why you'd put out a vinyl release, none of those reasons even hinting at being abstract for the sake of it.

Yes I was able to read your post, but you were saying that putting out releases on vinyl is being abstract for the sake of it, despite then saying that you like the quality of vinyl, agreeing with one of the reasons I cited for why you'd put out a vinyl release, none of those reasons even hinting at being abstract for the sake of it.

It was more the case of it being a less popular media these days and a lot of people seem to gravitate towards releasing on less popular medias to make a point. It's all well and good going down that road but if you want people to listen to your music more readily then you're better off releasing it on CD or Download as well as a Vinyl release.

I have no objections to people releasing stuff like that on different media types but i'm not buying a tape deck just to listen to one man's mixtape.

Guest treader.

I know exactly where Phil is coming from (although I don't agree with him).

He thinks there are a bunch of kids (indie kids and screamo/emo fans) today who want to be 'retro' and release tapes/vinyl because "that's what obscure underground bands do"

However, like Richard said, you've kind of blocked your own shot by then saying "I quite like the audio quality of vinyl" so I don't really know what point you're trying to make any more.

I know exactly where Phil is coming from (although I don't agree with him).

He thinks there are a bunch of kids (indie kids and screamo/emo fans) today who want to be 'retro' and release tapes/vinyl because "that's what obscure underground bands do"

However, like Richard said, you've kind of blocked your own shot by then saying "I quite like the audio quality of vinyl" so I don't really know what point you're trying to make any more.

Read my last post :up:

It was more the case of it being a less popular media these days and a lot of people seem to gravitate towards releasing on less popular medias to make a point. It's all well and good going down that road but if you want people to listen to your music more readily then you're better off releasing it on CD or Download as well as a Vinyl release.

I have no objections to people releasing stuff like that on different media types but i'm not buying a tape deck just to listen to one man's mixtape.

I think for single releases you're better doing a 7" / download these days, can't remember the last time I or anyone I know bought a CD single... It actually works a lot better in terms of getting press/radio play if it's on 7" as opposed to just download, which might be surprising. So in terms of singles being a promotional tool (in general, when released from albums / promoting a tour), vinyl is definitely a good format right now.

We posted in the same minute. I didnt realise you had replied until I also had.

I'm right though, aren't I?

Partly right.

I do feel that a lot of the bands seem to point towards that stuff to make themselves more "niche" market and as a way of making their music less accessible to anyone other than "true fans" who would be the ones that would be bothered to make the effort to buy a record player/tape deck to satisfy their needs. In those circumstances i feel that they're being abstract for abstracts sake. Now if they were making their stuff available to download for those of us who don't want to own a turntable or tape deck then that's a different story.

While i like the warmth and tone of vinyl, i don't have the space for it in my flat. CD is a lot more usable and less awkward in my opinion (and on the whole cheaper) with a good sound quality so i always plump for a CD release.

I will download if it's offered up by the band themselves (at a decent bitrate) and not a p2p network or from a bunch of money grabbers like iTunes/AmazonMP3/Play.

A great example of this would be Uncalm's demo release. Now they're a band that i would expect to release a lot of their output on Vinyl but they have also had the foresight to offer up a free download of their demo as well. Good on them.

I think for single releases you're better doing a 7" / download these days, can't remember the last time I or anyone I know bought a CD single... It actually works a lot better in terms of getting press/radio play if it's on 7" as opposed to just download, which might be surprising. So in terms of singles being a promotional tool (in general, when released from albums / promoting a tour), vinyl is definitely a good format right now.

Hence the "as well as" bit.

What a surprise!

I don't really know what this is supposed to mean. I own a few tapes, a previous band I was in released a tape because it was a bit more of an aesthetically attractive idea than a cheap Verbatim CDR or whatever. I like them, but I'm not going to argue they have any technical merits over CD's and vinyl. They obviously don't sound as good, and stereos rarely even come with cassette decks anymore so they are impractical to say the least.

Guest treader.
A great example of this would be Uncalm's demo release. Now they're a band that i would expect to release a lot of their output on Vinyl but they have also had the foresight to offer up a free download of their demo as well. Good on them.

I think (could be wrong) but Chris and Kevin were talking about releasing a 4-way split vinyl (presumably with different songs to the demo)...so...uh....yeah.