Local bands - CDs in One Up?

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This one just might win...

The Story of the Merzbow CD packaged in a car has spread itself across the globe. Alot of rumors have circulated and the truth has been hard to come by. To coincide with the Resist the Factory I decided to talk directly to Anders at Releasing Eskimo, the Swedish label that put out the Merzbow car.

Heres what he said:

A while ago I had a Mercedes 230 that I didnt drive much. The police told me that I had to move it or theyd tow it away. Well, I didnt want to keep it and I didnt have anywahere to store it so I decided to use it for something else. I rigged the cars CD player with our latest release of Merzbows Noise Embryo CD so that the music started when the car was turned on and it was impossible to turn it off. I put it up for sale as an extremely limited edition of the Noise Embryo CD but no one ever bought it, and in the end the car broke down. So we took out the CD and got rid of the car. Now Im thinking about if its possible to release a record in a Boeing 747

Guest Jake Wifebeater

This is an old argument, but is it that much of an inconvenience to look through Scot-Ads or wherever for a cassette or vinyl player? I bought a full stereo system for 30 outta the P+J 11 years ago and it still does the job. There really is no excuse for saying "Ooh, I'd like that but I don't have anything to play it on, lol etc."

If you were that into music you'd have all the stereo equipment you need so you could get the vinyl/tape/CD/CDr release if you want to. Saying you don't have anything to play it on is a cop-out.

Guest treader.

I just ebayed tape decks and you can get the exact same one as I had when I was like 8 on there for 7.

It has a handle and everything so you can carry it down the street and blast 45-a-side all you like.

This is an old argument, but is it that much of an inconvenience to look through Scot-Ads or wherever for a cassette or vinyl player? I bought a full stereo system for 30 outta the P+J 11 years ago and it still does the job. There really is no excuse for saying "Ooh, I'd like that but I don't have anything to play it on, lol etc."

If you were that into music you'd have all the stereo equipment you need so you could get the vinyl/tape/CD/CDr release if you want to. Saying you don't have anything to play it on is a cop-out.

That's all fair and well, but sometimes circumstances dicatate otherwise. I currently live in my fiancee's folks' house, whilst waiting for our house to get built, so the majority of my possessions are in storage as it is. I have nowhere to put a stereo equipped with record/cassette player.

I will almost definitely buy myself a gramaphone/record player when we move into our house, and then be able to play all the vinyl I can put my hands on. But for now, there's no point buying records/tapes, which are just going to be piled on top of other stuff that I don't have room for.

Here's what I bought at lunchtime:

The Marionettes 'Helena' single

Shy & DRS 'Behind Closed Doors' album

Right Hand Left 'Johnny Ray' single

Plus all 4 Elbow albums (and got served by Yogi - I just made his day...) and Friendly Fires' album.

Alkaline (I think it was you who said it further up) - I already own Eddison's album, it's a cracker :up:

On a similar note, what would you good folks recommend in terms of getting a CD with cases/inserts etc produced - i.e. we've got the tracks recorded, just need to stick them on CDs etc and get them into the shop!

For our demo EP we just burned them ourselves, printed inserts ourselves, stuck labels on the CDs ourselves, and then dished them out for free. We'd rather not do that again...

I've been on loads of websites and had loads of spamming emails about companies that will mass produce your CD for you etc.

Is there anyone that people would recommend?

Cheers,

Calum :up:

On a similar note, what would you good folks recommend in terms of getting a CD with cases/inserts etc produced - i.e. we've got the tracks recorded, just need to stick them on CDs etc and get them into the shop!

For our demo EP we just burned them ourselves, printed inserts ourselves, stuck labels on the CDs ourselves, and then dished them out for free. We'd rather not do that again...

I've been on loads of websites and had loads of spamming emails about companies that will mass produce your CD for you etc.

Cheers,

Key Production

CD Package Prices

Cheers,

We got some done recently, I'll email you some details.

Cheers,

I'll tell you now that I do not recommend GT media in Dundee, having bought our CD earlier today you will have noticed that the inner sleeve is very pixelated. Although it's legible enough it doesn't look as professional as we would have wanted it too, but if you're looking for a rushed job then by all means use them!

I'll tell you now that I do not recommend GT media in Dundee, having bought our CD earlier today you will have noticed that the inner sleeve is very pixelated. Although it's legible enough it doesn't look as professional as we would have wanted it too, but if you're looking for a rushed job then by all means use them!

Yeah - that must be a little disappointing to be honest. You want it to look as professional as possible, and the printing is quite pixelated. Our demo EP was printed to a better quality than that, and the drummer did it on his printer at home! Saying that though he's a bit of a gadget geek and has the best of everything gadget wise... ;)

Yeah - that must be a little disappointing to be honest. You want it to look as professional as possible, and the printing is quite pixelated. Our demo EP was printed to a better quality than that, and the drummer did it on his printer at home! Saying that though he's a bit of a gadget geek and has the best of everything gadget wise... ;)

we used the Foyer in Aberdeen - wasnt overally impressed. looked a bit cheap and had a NIGHTMARE trying to get them.

faded ink and what not..

yeah we're quite thankful that it was only the first 100 that were printed like that! the front covers are fine at least..............

yeah we're quite thankful that it was only the first 100 that were printed like that! the front covers are fine at least..............

If it was a mistake on the pressing plan/printer's side (ie. the artwork files you sent were correct and to spec), you should really push for a discount/partial refund and/or free reprint of those 100.

If it was a mistake on the pressing plan/printer's side (ie. the artwork files you sent were correct and to spec), you should really push for a discount/partial refund and/or free reprint of those 100.

Tried that, problem was that one of the images I sent out wasn't the correct size, thought it was........

At the same time they should have at least printed a proof copy and told me the image wasn't right, really don't understand how somebody can knowingly print 100 dodgy copies when all they have to do is get me to re-size the file and send it out again (a process which as you know only takes two minutes). Maybe I am completely wrong and it was my mistake, still pretty annoyed about how they handled it when I e-mailed them.

Tried that, problem was that one of the images I sent out wasn't the correct size, thought it was........

At the same time they should have at least printed a proof copy and told me the image wasn't right, really don't understand how somebody can knowingly print 100 dodgy copies when all they have to do is get me to re-size the file and send it out again (a process which as you know only takes two minutes). Maybe I am completely wrong and it was my mistake, still pretty annoyed about how they handled it when I e-mailed them.

Was proofing part of the service / mentioned in the deal at all, or did they send you a PDF file of it? If so then you'll be entitled to some sort of compensation, if proofing was an extra you didn't plump for / it wasn't mentioned, it might be trickier.

Was proofing part of the service / mentioned in the deal at all, or did they send you a PDF file of it? If so then you'll be entitled to some sort of compensation, if proofing was an extra you didn't plump for / it wasn't mentioned, it might be trickier.

not sure if it was! shows how ignorant I've been, I just presumed that they wouldn't have put out a shoddy version but I have learned from my mistakes though.

The prints aren't too bad, like I say the covers are fine and it was only the first 100, so the next lot will definitely be better.

Guest treader.

It's not as much as 5 pounds back from 5.50.

When I put CDs in before I think it was like we sold them for 5 and we got 3.50 back.

That said, I should go into One Up and get that money we're due before another Fopp scenario happens

I spoke to Yogi (he's the man who deals with the local band CDs) yesterday about this, and I think it depends what you agree on really.

He informed me that a certain CD I was purchasing yesterday for 2, saw the band get 1.80 of it back, which I think is a pretty good deal. But I've also heard the 5/3.50 scenario from another source.

I guess it depends what you agree with him. It's on a sale or return basis too - he said to initially stick in just a small amount (like 5 copies) and if they sell, then provide them with more.

If I was you, I'd just go and have a chat with him. Buy Elbow albums whilst you're there and he'll almost undoubtedly give you a good deal..... ;)

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I just ebayed tape decks and you can get the exact same one as I had when I was like 8 on there for 7.

It has a handle and everything so you can carry it down the street and blast 45-a-side all you like.

my panasonic ghetto blaster has a tape deck, radio & turntable and cost me a pound from Thainstone