aberdeen-music

Stand-up Guy At Drakes......

Dizzy Storm

Ah shit, I just posted about this on the gig announcement itself. :dunce::rolleyes:

Anywho, What a fucking gig! Thats the first gig in ages that I've had a right headbang to.

Seven Stone Under were pretty cool (never seen them before) * reactions: slight nodding, with burst of headbangs *

Filthpact kinda speaks for itself, ie fucking immense * reactions: headbanging *

Didn't like Involution much unfortunately, don't know why * reactions: little nods now and then *

And as for Stand-Up Guy, well, truely fucking amazing. If anyone noticed the rather tall guy just to the left of the stage almost heabutting the guitarist's headstock every two milliseconds, you'll know what my thoughts were on that.

Man does my neck hurt.

All good though. Hope to see shows like this more often in Aberdeen :up:

Guest Nikola Tesla

That was an immense night at drakes. Seven Stone Under were cool enough, Filthpact were just killler. I didnt catch much of Involution but it didnt seem to much of a loss. For Stand Up Guy all i can say is wow, they were a fucking unbelievable band.

Filthpact - pretty good. Liked the riffs - anyone else remember Buzzov.en? Like them but played at a different speed.......

Involution - Grunge wannabes jumping on the metalcor bandwagon? Actually, they were good at the heavy stuff, but when the singer tried to be Layne from AIC, it all went wrong.

Stand Up Guy - Ace. Neurosis/Isis/et9/Mogwai. Loved it. Thank you all for the recomendations!

Ross - PM/e-mail me plans for Thursday....

Involution - Grunge wannabes jumping on the metalcor bandwagon? Actually' date=' they were good at the heavy stuff, but when the singer tried to be Layne from AIC, it all went wrong.[/quote']

Remember he had a sore throat that was impeding his vocals a bit. :)

Anyhoos indeed a great night at Drakes. Stand Up Guy nothing like I thought they'd be. I'd expected more screaming hardcore madness and less atmospheric stuff. They were really damn good though. Involution pleasing to myself I must admit. Shame the guy had a sore throat and they weren't at their best but pleasant guys. Filthpact were great and amusing that Jeeves seemed to want to go home early and abused the other guys by hurrying them on :p Described to me as 'what Voice Of Aggression were trying to do'. 7 Stone Under were impressive as well. I think I maybe missed one or at the most 2 songs but I'll definitely be checking them out again :)

All in all another excellent night at Drakes :up:

Sadly to be fair I see why there isn't loads of people turning up to Valhella.

I fucking loved it.

It was defienetely, as Shaz said, one fo "those" nights.

7SU were quality as usual. Although they didn't play the song with the fucking ace bassline which I love so much (I dont know if their songs even have names).

Involution were alot more metal than I thought. I expected them to be slower, more bass-driven, kidna sludgy. But oh well, they weren't that bad.

and of cours,e the MIGHTY Stand-UP Guy. FUckign quality. Aint seen them snce the first time they played Drakes. Seemed a bit slower, but I think that was down to the new drummer. Still, fuckign great stuff. Liked the touch with the 2 blue lights oncveniently placed on the stage ratehr than the actual stage lights. Gave it a real dark, atmospheric mood. Was fuckign great.

Cheers to all that came along and saw us. Hope you all enjoyed our set.

And Valhella was great as well of course.

Guest allsystemsfail
Cheers to all who came along' date=' was a great night.

'Filthpact' not playing Aberdeen again now till August with 'Fighting Shit' from Iceland and the return of Dundees 'Eat Yer Greens'.

For details of that and other shows visit: [url']http://www.blackboxrecords.co.uk

Cheers,

Dave

Hey Dave,

Just had a look at the blackboxrecords link. That's cool. And you plan to release records too? Great.

Looking forward to the Boxed In show + catching you guys in August.

Infidel! Die!

You do realise Valhella will come for you in your sleep and devour your soul?

When I read my post back it sounds a lot more harsh than it was meant to! I enjoyed the night indeedle but you can see why it's not packed [from when they were asking why no one was going] 'cause they don't pander to the more popular forms of music like Bondage or something does. I enjoyed my night but was a bit miffed at the turning off of the Isis DVD all of a sudden.

Stand up guy are the finest band to ever play drakes!! ever ever ever ever ever!! it was soooo fucking good.

ok, maybe not ever, but they were fucking shit hot.

the Isis dvd wasn't turned off all of a sudden, it's a dvd called michiganfest and there's only one isis track on it which we played in full then we switched it for something else. we can't really play a whole live set by a band on the screen's anyway cause not everyone wants to see 5 songs by the same band on a night out. though if we had a dvd full of isis we would be sorely tempted. :)

thought that was one of the finest valhella's ever by the way, certainly one of the heaviest(this was only because of the large amount of metallers who were in) and one of the most fun. certainly made us feel like it was all worthwhile, particularly when stand up guy said it was the best club they'd ever been to and we hadn't played one bad tune. and when everyone was captivated by look around you.

all in all a grand grand night, it certainly makes valhella a lot easier to do when you have a band playing the exact type of music that dominates valhella. stoner/sludge/doom. bring on the next one!

the Isis dvd wasn't turned off all of a sudden' date=' it's a dvd called michiganfest and there's only one isis track on it which we played in full then we switched it for something else.

[/quote']

Aaaaah I was led to believe that it was a whole gig by Isis and would've liked to see at least one other track but now I am enlightened! :)

Does One Up sell said DVD?

The Michigan fest DVD is really good in parts but there seems to be a lot of bands doing exactly the same sort of thing on it....

It has Dismemberment Plan so it is worth it just for that.

um, like who? there's not two bands who are alike on the whole damn thing.

heres the list:

!!!

aloha

arab on radar

the arrivals

berwer

casket lottery

coalesce

the constantines

crooked fingers

crush kill destroy

death cab for cutie

dillinger 4

the dismemberment plan

end it

few and far between

haymarket riot

hey mercedes

honor system

hot snakes

inside five minutes

isis

keleton dmd

leaving rouge

milemarker

owls

oxes

planes mistaken for stars

pleasure forever

radio 4

rye coalition

small brown bike

ted leo and the pharmacists

vaz

there are a couple of stinkers on it but overall it's an excellent dvd that has something for everyone on it be it crushing metalcore(coalesce) to saxaphone led jazzcore(sweep the leg johnny) and life affirming punk-funk(!!!).

we have it in stock just now i think and can order it if it's out of stock. usually goes for about 15. sound quality is decent and there's short interviews with most of the bands as well, though these are short and usually silly.

highlights for me are isis, oxes, sweep the leg johnny(the guitarist falls through the roof!), death cab for cutie, vaz, the constantines and !!!. but there's plenty more good stuff too.

also check out the contaminated dvd which we played some of, also full of goodness.