aberdeen-music

I can't decide?!

Elrick

Yo folks

Seeing how I'm new to the whole idea of recording my own stuff I'm looking for some guidance from whoever can help.

I'm looking into buying something for recording acoustic/electric guitar but really have no idea on what to get.

Was in Bruce Millers the other day and the guy was firing off somethings that might be handy for getting started. He mentioned about the Line 6 Tone-port UX2

Anyone used it? Also, a heads up on anything else would be nice.

Cheers in advance

:up:

I do a lot of home-recording, on a Tascam 8-track, and all you need is the machine, plus a decent mike (I use a Shure SM 58, and an old Shure Unidyne). Can't help with computer recording though, as I'm clueless about it.....but, if you want to 'dip your toes' into home recording, the library loans out pretty decent digital multi-track recorders...so you could check one out for free if you fancy).

Hi

You could try a couple of things from Zoom

the "H2" and "H4"

both are portable, digital recorders with built-in effects....H2 - 2 Track and H4 - 2 track/4 Track Stereo........ mp3, wma, etc.. recording formats......

Damn good too ! (see my gear pics for a visual on the H4)

Check out this, and navigate to H2 or H4 :

ZOOM English Top

regards

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I would recommend using a PC, you need as fast a processor in it as possible, running windows xp as vista is still a bit crap for music, 2gb of memory, a separate graphics card (not built into the motherboard) , a decent set of powered monitor speakers (M-Audio, Edirol minimum 100) then buy any version of Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3 you can get your hands on....You will not believe your ears.

Go for the rig kontrol version if you can afford it, otherwise go for one of the cheaper setups, you will have the best sound and recording setup available on the planet and your recordings and live sound will be astonishing. DO NOT go for an ancient tape/cassette system - you will suffer NOISE.

This is the future and if you ignore it you are missing out in my opinion.

I am expecting criticism.....bring it on

My Tascam is a digital one, but I'd be happy enough to go back to cassette. For a while I had a reel-to-reel, and that gave me the best sound I've had.....but it was very old/knackered (like me).

If Elrick is a computer savvy type, then the computer set up would probably be best though, so no criticism from me.

Hi, I would recommend using a PC, you need as fast a processor in it as possible, running windows xp as vista is still a bit crap for music, 2gb of memory, a separate graphics card (not built into the motherboard) , a decent set of powered monitor speakers (M-Audio, Edirol minimum 100) then buy any version of Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3 you can get your hands on....You will not believe your ears.

Go for the rig kontrol version if you can afford it, otherwise go for one of the cheaper setups, you will have the best sound and recording setup available on the planet ...

Can I have your address so I can send you an invoice for cleaning tea stains off my monitor?

Go for the rig kontrol version if you can afford it, otherwise go for one of the cheaper setups, you will have the best sound and recording setup available on the planet and your recordings and live sound will be astonishing. DO NOT go for an ancient tape/cassette system - you will suffer NOISE.

My goodness!! I must phone Abbey Road and tell them to shut up shop.

Dude don't listen to this guy, use cassettes if you want, you can use Mac or PC if you want to go down the computer route...

I have Guitar Rig and I would recommend saving your money and buying a half decent real amplifier if you don't already have one. You can get a Fender Super Champ XD for just over 200 and it contains 2 6v6 and 1 12AX7 valves. Guitar Rig 3 costs about the same. In my view, most of the effects that came as standard with my DAW are of higher quality than the ones included with guitar.

Guitar Rig also eats up your processor useage like no other effects plugin I have.

I have found you don't necessarily need a particularly powerful computer, depending on what sort of processing you use. Guitar Rig, some compressors and other effects are hugely processor intensive. Most effects I use however do not make a great deal of difference until used in mass.

I would recommend the computer route as you are generally going to have to use a computer at some point anyway to convert it to digital (i know there are some exceptions). The other alternatives tend to have far more limitations and less options for expansion.

Also, you will never get the best sounding recording rig on the planet irrespective of how much you spend on equipment.

Reguardless of whether you go for tapes, standalone digital or computer recorder... you will need a set of speakers or headphones to mix with. Many people say headphones are not ideal, this is true but in my opinion you are going to get something of better quality if you spend 100-150 on headphones vs the same money on budget end monitors. Standard hi-fi style headphones will not be sufficent for mixing.