aberdeen-music

Contra the rhythm section

Guest Albatross

Guest Albatross

I recently heard the position of bassist described as being between a drummer and a musician.I agree that neither are musicians as contributions to pieces of music which are necessary or serve a purpose, even if it is in note formatt, should be discarded. both basslines and drum beats do this.

both are infact musicians. if you took the bass or the drums out of a song it wouldn't sound right and would sound incomplete as a piece of music

a musician is someone who can construct a piece of music, meaning that if you can write a melody, a harmony, rhythm etc you are a musician

Originally posted by Albatross:

I recently heard the position of bassist described as being between a drummer and a musician.I agree that neither are musicians as contributions to pieces of music which are necessary or serve a purpose, even if it is in note formatt, should be discarded. both basslines and drum beats do this.

Not sure I follow that. Bass players and drummers are not musicians? How is that again?

I'd also like to see you explain this to Man Inc....

Guest Albatross

I am talking of course of ideal music, not rock music, or any genre encorporated under the popular spectrum,which is compromised to the point of it not being the art of music but rather performance art. I understand the place rhythm has in rock music, but again this is a necessity, the necessity to form a groove, which is not the same as emitting notes as melody or harmony. Electric guitarists are not musicians either as the purity of emitted notes is doused in artificial noise.

I am talking of course of ideal music, not rock music, or any genre encorporated under the popular spectrum,which is compromised to the point of it not being the art of music but rather performance art. I understand the place rhythm has in rock music, but again this is a necessity, the necessity to form a groove, which is not the same as emitting notes as melody or harmony. Electric guitarists are not musicians either as the purity of emitted notes is doused in artificial noise.

1. What is 'ideal music' please?

2. Are all kinds of music compromised if they are, or become popular?

3. Do drummers only provide rhythm?

4. How pure do notes have to be, to still be music?

5. Is there a list of acceptable instruments and note purity levels available anywhere?

I can't believe I didn't know any of this...

Electric guitarists are not musicians either as the purity of emitted notes is doused in artificial noise.

I'm going to have to stop you there.... no real reason except from the fact that you're starting to sprout UTTER SHITE via your keyboard. A musician isn't just someone that can play an instrument..

It says here *points to Collins English Dictionary*

'Musician n a person who plays or composes music, esp. as a profession"

the necessity to form a groove, which is not the same as emitting notes as melody or harmony.

I remember the old days when we all used to gather round the TV waiting for the constant 'pure' 1KHz sine wave and stayed up for hours listening to it, getting off on the purity of the tone and not a rhythm in earshot. Halcyon days.

Nowadays, pah. Two different tones AND rhythm. This is what's wrong with the world of music.

p.s. How do you play these melodies and harmonies that you talk of without using rhythm.

Enlightening! I can't wait to hear your band.

Originally posted by soundian:

I remember the old days when we all used to gather round the TV waiting for the constant 'pure' 1KHz sine wave and stayed up for hours listening to it, getting off on the purity of the tone and not a rhythm in earshot. Halcyon days.

Nowadays, pah. Two different tones AND rhythm. This is what's wrong with the world of music.

p.s. How do you play these melodies and harmonies that you talk of without using rhythm.

:cheers: Good post. I was just gonna call him a silly cunt, but this is a little more sarcastic, which is good.

Well I am going to call him a silly cunt because he hasn't managed to come up with anything valid at all. Sure he's stated some points using what he must consider intellectual language, perhaps to make himself seem so very clever but he's fundamentally wrong....and a silly cunt.

Guest Albatross

Jesus, i've obviously stirred a nest of worker bees eager to protect Queen rock and her lumpen instruments of degeneration, so I'll have to deal with each of your points individually.Firstly, you should look forward to hearing my band, my band ROCKS! or rather, to my shame, is a rock band, but will still stand out as higher vessel for divine music, amongst the hordes of beat led, head down musical labourers whose strength is maximum noise, and who exist COUNTER to that they regard as evil, rather than AFFIRMING that which graces experience. But i am not here to accuse.

Guest Albatross

Of course, where name calling fails to challenge me on an intellectual level, sarcasm triumpantly succeeds!

Ideal music is hypothetical, it has and can never be acheived, and the highest music yet composed is that which does not strive to be ideal. That is why I persist with rock music, because i am a realist, as i see the need for rhythm in rock, i see the need for appreciation of rhythm through dancing: hence rock! but surely we should engage in discussion on ideas?

That is all for now

Jesus' date=' i've obviously stirred a nest of worker bees eager to protect Queen rock and her lumpen instruments of degeneration, so I'll have to deal with each of your points individually.Firstly, you should look forward to hearing my band, my band ROCKS! or rather, to my shame, is a rock band, but will still stand out as higher vessel for divine music, amongst the hordes of beat led, head down musical labourers whose strength is maximum noise, and who exist COUNTER to that they regard as evil, rather than AFFIRMING that which graces experience. But i am not here to accuse.[/quote']

No you haven't you;ve stirred up a nest of people who think you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. Music without rhythm section, yes, no problem. Music without rhythm, wtf.

Electric guitarists are not musicians either as the purity of emitted notes is doused in artificial noise..

So this pure noise emitted by an electric guitar before it's doused in artificial noise isn't artificial? Sorry to burst your bubble but every musical instrument ever built is artificial, or did you think they grow on trees.

Start making sense.

Guest Albatross

Music without rhythm section, thank u! Symphony has it's own rhythm, beats are only there to emphasise this so it can be appreciated in a 3 minute tune rather than a 30 minute composition

Does an electric guitar not produce notes without them being electrified and amplified, which only serves to distort them. What has been called music throughout history has been the sound of notes, not the noise that accompanies them via electric instruments. That is artificial.

Guest Albatross

I'll accept the distortion of notes can be considered progress, but as part of an art form which serves to be socially relevant(rock), not the art of music.