aberdeen-music

Does full-time work stifle your motivation anything else?

KimyReizeger

Depends on your job, I guess.

It depends on a range of variables, which is why I'm asking.

I currently work night-shift and my life outside work has thoroughly ended. Working the same 9 hours every day; you get into such a routine that's difficult to break out of - haven't touched any music for about 3 weeks now nor seen anyone socially, but obviously that's due to the horrendous hours. However, I think stiff routine is the important point here; very hard to escape from.

However, I think stiff routine is the important point here; very hard to escape from.

Very true, I often find myself doing silly things like taking weird routes to work to try and break the "auto pilot" feeling I get in the morning or leaving a guitar in my living room in the morning so when I come home I play it rather than sit on my arse and watch TV.

I also think a few random days off or booking tickets to see something you might not usually be interested in can help a bit.

I find a long week at work can be quite motivating because it reminds me how great having free time to spend with people you like, doing the things you enjoy is.

Very true, I often find myself doing silly things like taking weird routes to work to try and break the "auto pilot" feeling I get in the morning or leaving a guitar in my living room in the morning so when I come home I play it rather than sit on my arse and watch TV.

I also think a few random days off or booking tickets to see something you might not usually be interested in can help a bit.

I find a long week at work can be quite motivating because it reminds me how great having free time to spend with people you like, doing the things you enjoy is.

I agree with breaking the routine and I do the same with a guitar every single day

Night shift would fuck you up - done it, didn't like it!

Can't say I've had a continuous night shift... that's when the best music gets writ.

I find working a 9 to 6 is a pretty dull day, hence looking at this web site so much! I do, however, find that the day job doesn't stunt my creativity or productivity. Because the day job is so feckin dull, all I want to do is be as creative as possible when I'm away. Even if it's just jamming alone or with a band I do something pretty much every day. Two practices a week + any night I'm not doing anything I try and write some electronic music. All this is many times better than becoming a TV zombie. Even a couple of beers in the local. Even when you can't be assed, as soon as you get to it the shit of work leaves your body!

Probably more applicable if you work days though.

When you back to Uni man?

my current job has stuffed my social life and made it very tricky to remain creative both in photography and musically. i've been working every saturday and sunday 9.30 till around 8 and most weekday evenings till 10. they kept changing my days off so i was finding it difficult to commit to regular band practices and even gigs were hard to plan. because i'm spending all day taking photos and working on photoshop for a while i found it hard to come home and get into taking my own photos but i've been making more of an effort with that recently.

hopefully now that i'm going back to a 9-5 job i'll have much more time to work on my own projects and have a bit of a life again.

9-5 (or 8.30 - 5 once I start my new job) in an office isn't too bad but I do wish I had more spare time. But on the other hand without full time work I couldn't afford to do anything anyway.

Think it's better now that I don't spend all weekend, every weekend drinking or hungover. Much happier now I feel like I'm making better use of what little spare time I have. Just need to learn to take my holidays now...

My job just now is pretty dull. I've hit a brick wall in regards to learning and I basically do the same thing everyday. I think the thing that bothers me most is that I get treated like the dogs body of my team and I'm finding myself doing the level of stuff that I haven't done since I worked as a summer student when I was at school.

That sucks, I would suggest talking to your team lead or bringing it up at your appraisal but that's probably stating the obvious.

Are you there as a junior or a systems engineer? I forget.

I'm rejoining the world of oil industry support in a months time, hopefully I won't get all the shit jobs the team has for too long.

T

Appraisals? - waste of fucking time (in this place, oanywyze)

At least they do them. Haven't had one in the 2 years I've been at my current place of work.

I thought the appraisals process was a total pain in the arse when I was there, now I find myself wishing we actually did them like we're supposed to here.

Appraisals? - waste of fucking time (in this place, oanywyze)

Agreed, we always get told appraisals are not the time to discuss wage increases. It always seems like the best time to me. Don't even get me started on SMART targets, which are just a long list of things I will never get time to do. Bah.