aberdeen-music

Bill to scrap council tax will go ahead

Le Stu

Salmond Bill To Scrap Council Tax Will Be Introduced (from The Herald )

Huzzah! I have my concerns, but it's high time Aberdeen residents got a frikkin' break.

What makes you think "Aberdeen residents" will be better off?

I would guess that there's a higher proportion of high earners in Aberdeen who will end up paying more under an income based tax.

What makes you think "Aberdeen residents" will be better off?

I would guess that there's a higher proportion of high earners in Aberdeen who will end up paying more under an income based tax.

I'll cry them a river.:up: Despite oil riches, I can't believe a majority of residents here are rich. I'm certainly not. I'm a single occupant/owner and I get hammered for this tax.

I'll cry them a river.:up: Despite oil riches, I can't believe a majority of residents here are rich. I'm certainly not. I'm a single occupant/owner and I get hammered for this tax.

Yeah, just thought it was strange terminology, perhaps "low paid people across Scotland" rather than "Aberdeen residents" would be better. ;)

Sounds like we're in the same boat mate.

Could be, but I do earn embarrassingly little, and that is my prerogative as a slacker! If you earn around 930 per month, pre-tax, lowest band council tax will take 8.5% of your income. Roughly. I'd have to go home and look at some bills, and then relearn elementary math to figure out where it starts to suck for your earnings. Basically, if 3% LIT goes through, depending on rates for water, you're looking at around half council tax.:up:

Could be, but I do earn embarrassingly little, and that is my prerogative as a slacker! If you earn around 930 per month, pre-tax, lowest band council tax will take 8.5% of your income. Roughly. I'd have to go home and look at some bills, and then relearn elementary math to figure out where it starts to suck for your earnings. Basically, if 3% LIT goes through, depending on rates for water, you're looking at around half council tax.:up:

We definitely are in the same boat ;)

I pay 81 a month for band A with single person discount. Having just typed some figures into a calculator you'd have to earn 2700 a month, pre-tax, before the 81 would be 3% of your wage.

So most people hovering around the national average of about 25k a year and under would be better off under the new plans.

I pay 81 a month for band A with single person discount. Having just typed some figures into a calculator you'd have to earn 2700 a month, pre-tax, before the 81 would be 3% of your wage.

So most people hovering around the national average of about 25k a year and under would be better off under the new plans.

So does that mean we'd likely be in for a reduction?

Yeah, just thought it was strange terminology, perhaps "low paid people across Scotland" rather than "Aberdeen residents" would be better. ;)

Yeah... yeah, all right. I think Aberdeen gets less subsidy than other cities from central government, though I have no evidence to back this up, mind!

IThough once I start splitting my bills with my other half it'll really be six and half a dozen as far as I'm concerned

Yeah me too, in fact I'll probably be worse off in that respect. Though splitting other bills will mean I'm better off overall. Swings and roundabouts.

But then that's not a financial decision anyway.

Also starting a new job soon with more pay which means it'll be even worse.

However I spent a lot of time on benefits while looking for a full time job after college and uni so I don't mind paying my share now I'm actually earning decent money.

I don't think they'll have any problem getting this through Holyrood OR ELSE. Worked for last year's budget!

Bit of a problem in that setting it up through PAYE is out with the remit of the Scottish Government. And the cash that was set aside for council tax benefit being gifted for subsidising LIT. And 3% LIT maybe not exactly funding everything council tax did, despite savings in collections. It does seem that a hell of a lot of people are gonna do better out of this...

I don't think they'll have any problem getting this through Holyrood OR ELSE. Worked for last year's budget!

Don't be so sure, Tories, Labour and Greens are against it while SNP and Lib Dems take a different view on how it should be administered (same rate for whole country vs locally set rate) so I don't think it's quite home and dry yet. And that's before the problems you refer to.

Don't be so sure, Tories, Labour and Greens are against it while SNP and Lib Dems take a different view on how it should be administered (same rate for whole country vs locally set rate) so I don't think it's quite home and dry yet. And that's before the problems you refer to.

True, but they know they're fucked if Salmond calls an election. I doubt they'll really oppose it in the end.

Can't see Labour or the Tories voting for it under any circumstances.

Tories will, I agree. They have nothing to lose by sticking to their guns, either. Labour and the Lib Dems are in an incredibly weak position though, and I doubt they'll have the nuts to vote it down. Labour abstained in last year's budget vote, after 'opposing' it, which was as good as handing it to the SNP.

Tories will, I agree. They have nothing to lose by sticking to their guns, either. Labour and the Lib Dems are in an incredibly weak position though, and I doubt they'll have the nuts to vote it down. Labour abstained in last year's budget vote, after 'opposing' it, which was as good as handing it to the SNP.

Labour still won't vote for it I'm afraid. If they did it would put enormous pressure on the Labour Government as Westminster for one thing.

Labour still won't vote for it I'm afraid. If they did it would put enormous pressure on the Labour Government as Westminster for one thing.

There's a possibility that Salmond will goad them into abstaining, particularly if the Labour MSP's realise that voting it down will cause them to look even more unpopular than they are in the face of Labour collapse in 2010.

Nothing is certain in this parliament, whoever would've thought that the SNP would get the Tories to help them pass a budget two years ago?

I'm not suggesting they'll vote for it, I'm suggesting they'll whip their membership to abstain from voting for fear that the SNP will seek a fresh mandate from the electorate, should their minority administration not gain the cross party consensus needed to pass this bill.