aberdeen-music

Earplugs

WoodyRATM

Hey,

Just been having a small thought about these.

Who hear continually wears them while gigging? which ones do you wear?

I've always been tempted to wear them but i'm always nervous that it will hamper what i can hear on stage, but now my ears are hurting alot, and ringing immensely.

My guitarist uses ones that have 3 levels of protection that he bought from rnb. Would these be suitable? He doesnt say his ears ring alot. But has said that the bass sounds a little more boomy.

What do people use? Any recomndations that wont ruin what i can actually hear?

Dave

Guest idol_wild

I picked up a few packets of really good ones at My Bloody Valentine gig last month. The ones The Tunnels stock are rubbish. They are like Wotsits that you are expected to cram into your ear, but they just expand and pop out once you've pushed them in.

It might be worth investing in a proper pair which, essentially, look like walkman earphones. They come in wee cases and have a cable to go round your neck to avoid losing them.

I used to shun earplugs but I know they are good practice.

Read this thread:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/musicians-corner/40667-tinnitus-bane-my-life-moment.html

I need to get a set of plugs as well really. The old set I had from RnB were crap but technology has moved on since then. ER20s are inexpensive and seem popular.

Arse. I thought i mighta had that before...but i didnt think i woulda...Contstant ringing is a pain.

Where can i get ER20s? and how much? I'm sick of my ears being in pain after playing or going to a gig.

They're common as muck, everyone from GAK to Amazon sell them:

er20 earplugs - Google Search

Cheers, will buy some tonight. i cant look at the shopping pages (blocked annoyingly) but i see they cost like 8.50? That works for me...more so since i had a look on talkbass and folk were saying to get $150 ones....overkill? i'm not sure... at the moment i think id probs pay even that.

Cheers, will buy some tonight. i cant look at the shopping pages (blocked annoyingly) but i see they cost like 8.50? That works for me...more so since i had a look on talkbass and folk were saying to get $150 ones....overkill? i'm not sure... at the moment i think id probs pay even that.

Well at 8.50 they're cheap enough to try out and if you still get sore ears you can look at the expensive ones.

i find ANY ear plug is better than nothing. i have a shed load of the level 2 ones you get on building sites/offshore etc. and yeah they do alter the EQ a bit. but not to an extent where you can't understand whats going on. and after about a minute you're used to it again and compensate.

i didn't use ear plugs on monday for the first time in over a year. OW. big mistake. It's what I get for leaving my gig bag behind.

I have often toyed with the idea of getting those custom made ones? they take a mold of your ear etc so they are built to spec. but never bothered. does anyone have any of these?

Guest Neutral

Go to boots, they have swimmers earplugs and ones for on aeroplanes, re-usable made of latex or some form of rubber, very soft and flexible but block the sound out really well, cost about 5

Guest Neutral

oh just as a note chewing gum works too but make sure not to use the Extra chewing gum or any brand of sugarfree because it sticks and is a pain in the arse to get out.

This also goes if you stick the gum in your ear whilst chatting up ladies

Although I've never been able to test my theory I think musicians wearing earplugs is generally a bad idea. I'm sure that with the cheaper ones the backline and monitoring have to go up to compensate for the loss of mid to highs in the performers hearing, which just basically sticks a big middle finger up to everyone else's hearing.

Simplest solution, turn it down.

I'd also like to extend a big thank you to every bastard who thumps their snares, plays guitar/bass etc when my ears are inches from the sound source. There is no need for it (unless you're in the middle of a song) you twonks.

Although I've never been able to test my theory I think musicians wearing earplugs is generally a bad idea. I'm sure that with the cheaper ones the backline and monitoring have to go up to compensate for the loss of mid to highs in the performers hearing, which just basically sticks a big middle finger up to everyone else's hearing.

Simplest solution, turn it down.

I'd also like to extend a big thank you to every bastard who thumps their snares, plays guitar/bass etc when my ears are inches from the sound source. There is no need for it (unless you're in the middle of a song) you twonks.

Thats the thing - it doesnt sound really loud to my ears. Its not untill later that im in pain.

I also want them for going to gigs.

I've seen so many bands sit and noodle while the sound guy is inches from their cabs/drums ?( Never understood how hard it is to get a sound you like then stay quiet.

Thats the thing - it doesnt sound really loud to my ears. Its not untill later that im in pain.

I also want them for going to gigs.

I've seen so many bands sit and noodle while the sound guy is inches from their cabs/drums ?( Never understood how hard it is to get a sound you like then stay quiet.

Do you mean do I not understand? Sure, I do, but if it's the choice between pointless noodling and damaging someone's health I know which one wins every time.

Guest Neutral
you stick gum in your ear when chatting up ladies?

does that help?

It has to go somewhere(its not very gentlemanly to chew whilst talking to a lady) and i prefer to not put it on the floor. Plus its very subtle to put it in the ear. This way if it doesn't go well you have saved on another bit of chewing gum because you can just keep on chewing it.

If the sight of that draws their attention away from the ugly then i reckon he's onto a winner ;)

hey fuck you, im very pretty actually :love:

The Etymotic ER20's are well worth the money, and are infinitely better sounding than most of the generic 5 earplugs (including the semi fitted ones that RnB and Bruce Millers have)

The next step above them would be a set of the proper fitted ones that are moulded to your individual ears, but cost ten times the amount for the bonus of a bit of extra comfort and the option of different filter levels.

If you are exposed to loud volumes for any length of time then 10 to save your hearing is frankly a bargain, yes pretty much all solutions will affect the sound in some manner, but you will easily adjust and it is more than accurate enough watching a band play, and if it is you playing you can always setup and soundcheck sans earplugs and put them on once you have the levels sorted...

Buy Earplugs ~ All Ear Plugs | FREE UK SHIPPING!

get the hearplugs. They are great.

Cut all frequencies evenly across the spectrum.

Altogether, knocks about 12dB off the total.

So it just sounds the same, only quieter.

I tried them once, if they cut sound evenly across the whole spectrum my nephew is a simian. Much better than most cheapo ones though.

I tried them once, if they cut sound evenly across the whole spectrum my nephew is a simian. Much better than most cheapo ones though.

well its not completely even, its like 3.2dB at most frequencies, but in the upper mid range like your 1k to 2k, its less, somewhere in the region of 1.9dB to 2.5dB attenuation.

And yeah, they beat the foam ones anyday.

and phill, you must be putting the "wotsits" in wrong. You crush them, twist them and slide em in, then they expand in your ears.Quite a snug fit actually.