aberdeen-music

your website - as broken as a very broken thing.

Chris#2

i think i know you well enough to ask a dumb question like this chris but your not using a mac are you?! i noticed half the page didnt show up on the macs in the IT center but were fine on any pc i've ever tried it on.

what browser/OS are you using? just curious! and being the web god that you are, any thoughts on the situation?

oh, and congrats btw ;):cheers:

Originally posted by Tav

Works fien for me. Why do peopel insit on using other programmes such as Mozilla? Is it really that much better, does it really make that much difference?

put it this way -

the only "improvements" to IE over the last SIX YEARS have been security patches.

IE does not support the standards set by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) very well at all. This leads developers to the use of markup that is:

Inaccessible to users with disablities.

Harder to maintain.

Not forward compatible.

Innaccessible to users that use devices such as PDA's to access the web.

Cross-browser problems.

IE is also too lenient when it comes to bad markup in general. This encourages bad markup and thus, more bad/slow/inaccessible web pages.

IE is lacking a lot of the features found in other browsers. A good example being tabs for browsing multiple sites - it's probably THE most useful feature ever devised for a web browser.

IE is bug-ridden. See point one.

IE is no longer going to be developed as a stand alone browser. You'll have to upgrade your OS if you want the next version. Also, the current IE code base is so bloated and patched that Microsoft are having to start again from scratch, rewriting the entire thing.

IE is slow. Very slow. Very very slow. Opera is AT LEAST 4 times faster at rendering a page (in my experience). Both Firebird and Opera are a lot faster at starting the program, despite MS cheating by having parts of the IE code preloaded into Windows at start-up.

The main alternative browsers (Opera + Mozilla and its varients) are all cross-platform, meaning that they all render web pages exactly the same no matter the OS. MS just killed off IE for Mac, meaning that IE is Windows only. IE for Mac was (bizarrely) better than IE for Windows....

I could go on all day as to why I personally don't use IE and why I choose to use Firebird instead. So could the millions of people that use Mozilla-based browsers or Opera, or any browser that isn't on a Windows platform...

The question should not be "why do other people use something different to IE?" - it's "Why do people still put up with the pile of shit that IE is?"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand another thing -

If you have any interest in designing/developing web sites, then you should have a Mozilla browser (preferably Firebird) and Opera installed at the very least! Preferably also have some sort of emulation software running an alternate OS (like OS X/ Linux) so you can see other platforms as well. At work, I have 3 Windows machines (XP + IE 6 and Firebird/Opera, 2000 + IE 5, 98 + IE 4 and Netscape 4), a Mac with OS X (Safari) and MacOS 9 (IE 5 for Mac) and a Linux machine (with Konquerer), just for testing everything works. At home I have a similar setup, except for the Mac. See my point about cross-platform development! If you only design for IE, then you cut out MILLIONS of potential site visitors from viewing your site, cos it'll probably be broken from bad code and browser specific "features".

hey chris, any thoughts on making the site work on your deranged browser yet? have had a couple other complaints about it since this post and im kinda desperate to rectify the problem. Is there certain code that this Mozilla doesnt like? im guessing if its the pictures that are guffed that maybe a different img code or somthing, im yet to understand this CSS you guys have been on about, any chance of a hand? the last thing i want is to be sending the web addy to record companies across the world just to find they are using a browser that doesnt love it and then we end up looking like tards who cant make websites!!

anyway gimmie a shout if you have any thoughts dude!

Cheers