aberdeen-music

straight pride

Stripey

I'm not sure what you're getting at either, but I'll have a go at a reply anyway!

If there's one thing guaranteed to reinforce a sense of being in a minority, it's going to a gay club. The very fact it's a gay club is in itself reinforcing it, you say yourself it's a niche market, which it is. Moshulu's one of the very few clubs I dare set foot in, the rest of them play even shittier music but I don't feel like an oppressed minority because nowhere caters for my taste in music. It comes with the territory because very few people share my taste in noise anyway, and I can live with that no problem. Just because you're in a minority in one aspect of life, doesn't mean you have to make it your entire identity.

:up:

Would you get beaten up for wanting to listen to noise, as a personal attribute?

I don't think so.

Hardly the same comparison!...youve put a groundless comparisons / perspectives that us white - hetero folks just can't really hold up against the true injustices of racism, sexism and homophobia.

Its like a man trying to "understand" what having a baby is actually like...you can imagine, sure, educated guesses and all that, but till you've experienced it, you'd never fully know what it's about. (and that's never going to happen...well, till scientists put a womb in a guy)

so comparing you liking "noise" to being "gay" - in the context of feeling comfortable in public...is pretty daft min!

are you are also assuming that gay people, who go to gay clubs only ever talk about being gay? - that's a bit wide of the mark...isn't it?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you get beaten up for wanting to listen to noise, as a personal attribute?

I don't think so.

Hardly the same comparison!...youve put a groundless comparisons / perspectives that us white - hetero folks just can't really hold up against the true injustices of racism, sexism and homophobia.

Not wanting to be picky but there was a murder in the news recently where the motivation given by the murderer was that the person was "a goth". Musical taste and the stuff that goes along with it does generate discrimination and it's a lot more prevelant these days than it was 30 or 40 years ago.

I'm obviously not saying that one is more important than the other, but it'd be very niave to suggest that it doesn't happen.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I don't think so.

so comparing you liking "noise" to being "gay" - in the context of feeling comfortable in public...is pretty daft min!

are you are also assuming that gay people, who go to gay clubs only ever talk about being gay? - that's a bit wide of the mark...isn't it?

I used to get the shit kicked out of me on a regular basis years ago purely on the basis of hairstyle and musical taste, so it is the same fucking comparison and not "groundless" by any stretch of the imagination. Not to mention the countless verbals.

Am I assuming that gay people only ever talk about being gay? Er, nope! Damn straight it would be wide of the mark. Bit like saying fans of a musical genre don't talk about anything else...

See, the problem here is you're the one making groundless assumptions about what YOU think I'm implying and reading all these semi-hidden meanings into it. That's trying to be too clever by half, the end result being it's not half as clever as it seems to be.

no boys...I am only reacting to what I read on a pointless aberdeen-music discussion (as always).

and, personal stories are always more hard hitting...but, you can't seriously say that your individual case of discrimination (bad as it obviously was) is on the same level as homophobia ...racism etc?

come on!

it's not the same comparison - the end result might be the same, beating someone up for being "different" happens - but yours is a very specific case, vs the broad brush discrimination of homophobia, racism and sexism!

I used to get beaten up and bullied for being a skater in my school - but I wouldn't say it was anything like a gay person / black person (which I saw in my school too).

the last point you'd made Jake, in relation to the first sentence : "If there's one thing guaranteed to reinforce a sense of being in a minority, it's going to a gay club.... " & "....Just because you're in a minority in one aspect of life, doesn't mean you have to make it your entire identity."

I took that as in context to gay people wanting to associate themselves with going to gay bars: Thus drawing attention to themselves, because they felt they had to(?)....if that wasn't the case, you'd have to explain a little more, put a bit of context around it min!

so I apologise if my questions / statement seem like groundless assumptions, but I'm only basing it on the minimal / half finished point you'd made!

(insert icon here to nullify any apparent ill will in my post here - which there isn't any)

Guest Jake Wifebeater
no boys...I am only reacting to what I read on a pointless aberdeen-music discussion (as always).

and, personal stories are always more hard hitting...but, you can't seriously say that your individual case of discrimination (bad as it obviously was) is on the same level as homophobia ...racism etc?

come on!

it's not the same comparison - the end result might be the same, beating someone up for being "different" happens - but yours is a very specific case, vs the broad brush discrimination of homophobia, racism and sexism!

I used to get beaten up and bullied for being a skater in my school - but I wouldn't say it was anything like a gay person / black person (which I saw in my school too).

the last point you'd made Jake, in relation to the first sentence : "If there's one thing guaranteed to reinforce a sense of being in a minority, it's going to a gay club.... " & "....Just because you're in a minority in one aspect of life, doesn't mean you have to make it your entire identity."

I took that as in context to gay people wanting to associate themselves with going to gay bars: Thus drawing attention to themselves, because they felt they had to(?)....if that wasn't the case, you'd have to explain a little more, put a bit of context around it min!

so I apologise if my questions / statement seem like groundless assumptions, but I'm only basing it on the minimal / half finished point you'd made!

(insert icon here to nullify any apparent ill will in my post here - which there isn't any)

The point was, going to a gay bar is a statement in itself. I'm baffled as to the long-winded spin you've taken from it, but never mind.

And if you're stuck for an icon, you can always fall back on this little beauty...

:up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

long winded....aye.

trying to get to a point...aye!

so (just to clarify) going to a place to avoid people who discriminate and hassle you...is making a point to them...I seeeee!...very clever tactics...

anyway...don't gay bars just have back entrances? no one would see you coming out the back entrance....finar finar.

what was the point again?

I will design and wear a badge that is all for "noise pride"...I know you'll join me.

gaybar.jpg

bored?!