aberdeen-music

straight pride

Stripey

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all those statements are all well and good, but you are talking about it from your (apparent) education, level headedness and responsibility...in context to sensitivity to the issues, you are not homophobic, you are not misogynistic etc...

but, the "bullshit PC laws" are there to protect people from the not so bright, bigoted fucks that make the "protection" and "special cases" necessary.

So, if the world were full of Jake Spikes and Alkalines, then we wouldn't need to "positively discriminate"...

sadly, that's not the case, so we (they) need the protection and "elevated" difference - to have a platform to defend their "normalness"...

I myself wish it all didn't exist, and people just got on with liking people...but, that's not how the hairless ape works. as the oh so clever Slipknot point out people = shit.

Indeed, surely Gay Pride marches and the like have the main aim of increasing peoples' awareness about issues confronting that minority and promoting acceptance of different lifestyles.

Indeed, surely Gay Pride marches and the like have the main aim of increasing peoples' awareness about issues confronting that minority and promoting acceptance of different lifestyles.

Exactly, there's no need for straight pride, just pop into pretty much any club on a Saturday night, it's full of people promoting their 'straightness'.

*opens mouth to say something, waits a moment to consider the ensuing nonsense and days of idiotic posting which results in petty insults and the insinuation that someone's reply was not read in its entirity but if they were to kindly return and reread the argument then surely they would be won over by it's persuasiveness, realises it's really not worth going over the same shit yet again and closes his mouth and gets the hell out of this thread*

*opens mouth to say something, waits a moment to consider the ensuing nonsense and days of idiotic posting which results in petty insults and the insinuation that someone's reply was not read in its entirity but if they were to kindly return and reread the argument then surely they would be won over by it's persuasiveness, realises it's really not worth going over the same shit yet again and closes his mouth and gets the hell out of this thread*

Ahhh, grow some balls Dave :p

....unless it's a gay club

Hence the 'pretty much any club' bit.

Anyway, out of all the clubs in Aberdeen I think there's like 3 gay clubs tops, so the balance doesn't exactly need re-dressed by 'straight pride'.

It's such a shit, wacky concept anyway. It's the kind of thing that's masterminded by people who only drink in Student Unions.

Hence the 'pretty much any club' bit.

Anyway, out of all the clubs in Aberdeen I think there's like 3 gay clubs tops, so the balance doesn't exactly need re-dressed by 'straight pride'.

It's such a shit, wacky concept anyway. It's the kind of thing that's masterminded by people who only drink in Student Unions.

But surely the point is for equality everyone needs to be in the SAME clubs. By having a gay club the minority status is enforced.

But surely the point is for equality everyone needs to be in the SAME clubs. By having a gay club the minority status is enforced.

I don't think the point in a gay bar is to make a stand for equality.

Your idea reads more like 'if you want to be treated equally, be exactly the same as us!'

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Or, alternatively, choose not to post at all...

:up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Your idea reads more like 'if you want to be treated equally, be exactly the same as us!'

Not really, the idea is that if people want to be treated equally, shutting yourself into a ghetto won't help. It'll just reinforce ignorance and mistrust.

Unfortunately we live in a society that would probably see a gay couple behaving in the same way as a straight couple in most nightclubs, getting seriously hassled at the best and probably battered in a lot of places.

Also if I was gay I wouldn't be too chuffed with my options of gay bars in Aberdeen. Most of my gay friends go to non-gay bars anyway because they don't just want to go out with exclusively gay friends, but they can't be as relaxed as straight people can be, therefore the need for gay clubs comes from other people making gay people a minority, not them choosing to be a minority.

You'll probably find a heafty amount of people demonstrating their straightness in gay clubs too to be honest. The few times I've been to Foundation all the women there were (like me) fag hags for the night. I saw about 4 lesbians and felt like some awful fraud when one of them started chatting me up.

I'm all for celebrating diversity, why not? Who does it hurt? It's great if people are proud of their heritage, sexuality etc, just don't try and preach to me about it. The idea of equality is that people are equal. Gay Pride, Black History Month etc all are about raising awareness, not lording it over the majority.

God, this thread has annoyed me! The majority of folk on here are male, middle class and white (as Ben Folds said :p) what's all the bitching about?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
The majority of folk on here are male, middle class and white

Assuming that's true, and you obviously know better than I do, it's still neither here nor there.

I don't get what's wrong with an asian music station...

There's nothing "wrong with it" it's just that if you were to set up a "white music station" it would be considered racist. that's all.

Why can't we just have an all - emcompassing "radio station?"That way everyone gets involved and it's not favouring anyone.

Not the way the world works I know, but I just think prejudices will linger for generations if people are constantly reminded about "minorities" in general.

End of story, for me.

Why can't we just have an all - emcompassing "radio station?"That way everyone gets involved and it's not favouring anyone.

As has been established in this thread, multiculturalism is a politcal buzzword essentially contrived for the morons who hold ill-founded prejudices based on skin colour etc, so your 'not favouring anyone' is basically a 'let's dilute the specific and all its wonderful uniqueness down to one general, shitty, all-encompassing grey, then we'll be too comprehensively mediocre to be worth complaining about'. Let Asians have a station; you're bombarded by 'white culture' every time you buy a cd, read a book, inadvertently watch a commercial...and if Radio 1/2/3/4 aren't 'white' then I don't know what is..

the radio thing has more to do with marketing than any kind of "positive discrimination". Radio 1 would lose loads of listeners if it played a genuinely diverse selection of music all the time. The niche channels only exist now because of DAB, and just serve as an excuse to make the big channels even more bland by dumping anything which isnt mainstream onto them.

the radio thing has more to do with marketing than any kind of "positive discrimination". Radio 1 would lose loads of listeners if it played a genuinely diverse selection of music all the time. The niche channels only exist now because of DAB, and just serve as an excuse to make the big channels even more bland by dumping anything which isnt mainstream onto them.

I think there's more niche based radio on the internet than DAB (which is royally falling on it's arse right now).

I think there's more niche based radio on the internet than DAB (which is royally falling on it's arse right now).

why bother stating the obvious, of course there are thousands of niche internet radio stations, but listening to these stations is a niche activity itself at the moment.

why bother stating the obvious, of course there are thousands of niche internet radio stations, but listening to these stations is a niche activity itself at the moment.

I'm not stating the obvious otherwise you would've stated that instead of mentioning DAB in the first place.

Why do you always have to come across as a jackass? I was making a point not belittling what little positive input you have put into a thread. It was a side point, not a dig at you so don't get so defensive about it.

And your sentence structure is clumsy. What do you mean: "listening to these stations is a niche activity". Internet radio is certainly not a niche activity and if you meant DAB then your use of the English language is abysmal.

I'm not stating the obvious otherwise you would've stated that instead of mentioning DAB in the first place.

Why do you always have to come across as a jackass? I was making a point not belittling what little positive input you have put into a thread. It was a side point, not a dig at you so don't get so defensive about it.

And your sentence structure is clumsy. What do you mean: "listening to these stations is a niche activity". Internet radio is certainly not a niche activity and if you meant DAB then your use of the English language is abysmal.

What does talking about internet radio stations have to do with ethnic/racial bias in mainstream media? DAB has simply allowed mainstream broadcasters to compartmentalise their content in a way which has a divisive effect - which brings me to my original point. Events like the MOBO awards, gay pride marches, orange marches etc only serve to highlight our differences rather than promote integration and real multiculturalism.

What does talking about internet radio stations have to do with ethnic/racial bias in mainstream media? DAB has simply allowed mainstream broadcasters to compartmentalise their content in a way which has a divisive effect - which brings me to my original point. Events like the MOBO awards, gay pride marches, orange marches etc only serve to highlight our differences rather than promote integration and real multiculturalism.

Unless you're just being stupid for stupid's sake you can't deny that the Internet (including Internet Radio) is "mainstream media".

I do see what you're saying otherwise though.

Events like the MOBO awards, gay pride marches, orange marches etc only serve to highlight our differences rather than promote integration and real multiculturalism.

They also bring together large groups of badly dressed people. That I find offensive! Society is rotten and it is all to do with dress sense!