aberdeen-music

Puerto Muerto & Desc

Alan Cynic

Desc sounded like The Dirty Three rubbed together with the Violent Femmes until PJ Harvey turned up to see what the noise was. I was dissappointed to find they only had a four track EP available because I thought they were excellent.

But Peurto Meurto... By god, absolutely entrancing - Such a pair of lungs for such a slip of a woman! Twisted shanties and alt.country tales of the end of the world. It's what monday nights are all about.

Originally posted by nullmouse:

Desc sounded like The Dirty Three rubbed together with the Violent Femmes until PJ Harvey turned up to see what the noise was. I was dissappointed to find they only had a four track EP available because I thought they were excellent.

But Peurto Meurto... By god, absolutely entrancing - Such a pair of lungs for such a slip of a woman! Twisted shanties and alt.country tales of the end of the world. It's what monday nights are all about.

A very accurate & perceptive account, thanks & thanks to all who turned out on a Monday night.

Both bands were delighted by the warmth & enthusiasm of the response.

Desc are off to America for three weeks of gigs & recording their new LP

with Steve Albini. Another scottish boost & momentum they need.........

Puerto Muerto will be back to one of their favourite cities 05.

Brian good to see you digging PM, spread the word

Originally posted by Alan Cynic:

You should all have gone! It was another wild evening, with Puerto Muerto particularly entrancing. They transformed Drakes into a mixture of CBGBs (c76) and a German beercellar (c1920s).

Thank you, Chilli & Graeme for getting them back.

Puerto Muerto = Low with a little Cat Power, White Stripes and Handsome Family. Not be missed live...

Yep I thoroughly agree and they seemed very happy in Drakes as well. I was just a little blown away. Not folk music, not exactly PJ Harvey or even alt country. But just a damn fine live band. A duo with lots of power, great tunes, a sense of humour and an amazing ability to play their drum rather loudly.

Dave

One of the best gigs I've been to. Ever.

Desc were great, and had such a cool drummer.

Puerto Muerto. Oh My word....

I was rooted to the spot for the whole set, transfixed. Her voice was turning my spine to ice, while she battered seven shades out of the floor tom. Then I was reduced to a wittering schoolboy as I asked for their autographs afterwards. What a lady...:love:

I got a couple of their albums on the night, and they sound just as sweet to me - Maybe not quite as powerful as they got on stage but beautiful none the less - The newest album (See You In Hell) has a lot more layers of sound to it than the sparse live act, but it works very well. The other I bought (Your Bloated Corpse Has Washed Ashore) has a lot of the songs they played in Drakes and are very similar to the live renditions.

Is it fair to say that Puerto Muerto are one of the most enthralling and entrancing acts to see live? It was fantastic to have them back in Aberdeen for an excellent evening at dr drakes. Their style reminds me of 70's troubadors Slapp Happy. Desc were excellent too and faired better I think than their last outing at Drummonds - good luck to them in the States.