aberdeen-music

Zines

Deeker

Hey guys, how goes it?

My name is Deeker and I am doing a Masters in publishing at Stirling University. I am doing my dissertation on the evolution of punk fanzines and the alternative music press from the late 70s up until today.

Along with a lot of other research, Ive put together a short questionnaire. If anybody has any thoughts, opinions or advice, Id greatly appreciate any contributions. Also, I am looking for examples of fanzine art (covers and the like) as well as old gig posters.

Here are the questions

1. What role did fanzines play in the early days of punk? How important were they? Do they still play a role today?

2. When punk went 'mainstream', how did the fanzine evolve?

3. Do you think fanzines remain an important part of the underground scene today?

4. Does the fanzine have a future?

5. Are fanzines still relevant?

6. Is the internet the ultimate DIY forum?

As I said, any thoughts and/or help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Deeker

Alright Deeker. Are you the very Deeker from Perth who puts on punk shows in Dundee? I think you put us on in August with Frigits. I'm Joe, I used to be in It's Broken! but I'm living up Aberdeen way now. It's right bastard cold up here.

I'll have a bash at this anyhow.

1. What role did fanzines play in the early days of punk? How important were they? Do they still play a role today?

I wasn't there, but I can only imagine the played the role of what the internet does right now. It seems as though nearly everything has gone electronic. Web-zines are nowhere near as aesthetically valuable as a fanzine, but it's the same idea, and probably more accessible.

Punk went fairly mainstream from near the beginning, but fanzines seemed to stay with what wasn't gaining commercial success, and rightly so. You can hear about mainstream mainstays all over the radio, but zines would have been the only way of exposing new, unknown bands

3. Do you think fanzines remain an important part of the underground scene today?

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem so. Myspace and segregated forums have made everything so much easier, aswell as filesharing I presume.

Depressingly, I imagine it doesn't. I imagine Maximumrocknroll and Razorcake will still keep on pressing for the people who care, and the odd fanzine may come and go. Some of the best zines are ones with only a few issues. Reason To Believe was probably the finest UK fanzine with only a series of 10 issues. But, eventually, I imagine everything will be electronic. The world and his wife has the internet now.

Of course. I think the ideal behind the fanzine itself is enough relevance, but when things become electronic and so easily accessible, people become apathetic towards the idea of spending money on something they can probably research online. That is a shame though.

Probably, and it's a great, great tool. But more and more things are going digital. Fanzines are phasing out, and now so are record sales. Soon enough, the main format of music is going to me MP3. A volatile, compressed file of massively inferior quality. What's next? Guitars swapped for midi plug ins and bands not playing live, put plugging their iPod into a P.A. and playing back their 192kbps version of their new record?

You should definitely focus on the big American three fanzines, Maximumrocknroll Razorcake and Cometbus. The former two of which still print today, and the latter a more personal approach, but outline every ideal DIY punk has to offer by a very insightful and charming fella. Cometbus was nearly completely handwritten which was hugely inspirational on the fanzine movement at the time (mid 80's to early 90's) that anyone could just pickup a pen and put something together.

I hope I'm not just telling you stuff you already know! :up:

Guest Steven Dedalus

As a means of connecting people, they were essential (speaking from a historical perspective, cos I wasn't there at the time...). Punk didn't get mainstream music press coverage until it was in full flight - at least not anything more than a mention here and there. The fanzine writers became the first generation of punk journalists, people like Paul morley, Danny Baker and mark Perry. Without them, the mainstream music press would never have been able to truly cover punk in any realistic fashion, becuase it was still being written from an 'old school' prespective which wasn't able to acknowledge the impact of punk. So, the fanzines allowed the mainstream music press to cover punk by allowing it to be written by the punks themselves. (phew!)

It really depends what you mean. In one context (ie. British 1970s punk) by the time it went 'mainstream', the people who had written the fanzines were already claiming it was over. of course that didn't stop a new generation of kids getting involved, but they were unable to bring their own aesthetic to is, and as such, I don't think it ever really evolved. I'm pretty sure the first generation of fanzine writers never intended to see people self-publishing magaiznes, badly written with typewriters, using cut-up newspaper imagery and safety pins, etc. If you look at the people mentioned above (Morley in particular), they underwent a complete stylistic shift and - dare I say it - became more sophisticated, whether you like their style or not.

Another good example is the original 'Punk' magazine in New York done by Legs Mcneil. They clearly wanted that to be a high quality magazine that would be taken seriously, not some scrappy, thrwon together, hard to read rag. Which is exactly the stlye the fanzines such as Maximumrockandroll have so rigidly stuck to. Personally, I never thought punk had to adhere to such a low rent approach. I always took it to mean, 'doing your best on limited resources', not aiming low.

The internet has taken over. Printed fanzines are a quaint relic from the past, sadly. They are only really cherished by a small minority.

Only in the sense that the internet has taken it's place as a method of connecting people. Something like this websote has more relevance now than a fanzine would, as it allows a community, for want of a better word, to inform each other of what's happening, etc.

See above.

See above. Anyone can do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha!

Thanks for the link dude. That is an ace resource.

I am doing my own research! I just stuck this thread up here to see if there was anybody that could help me out, as there has been. For that I am appreciative. It's not like I'm basing my entire research on what is said on messge boards!