aberdeen-music

Guitar Set Ups in Aberdeen

Soda Jerk

Holler

I've just moved here from Leeds. My guitar has been in dire need of a set up for weeks now. I only know of a couple of Guitar shops so far. One is R&B, and the other is that fucking weird half music shop / half cafe/newsagents place on Union street. Do R&B do good set ups? The last one I got was from music ground in Leeds and they did a right balls of a job.

Guest idol_wild

This city needs more Karate fans.

Welcome.

I have heard no feedback (arf) regarding R&B's guitar set ups, but from what I gather, Bruce Miller (the newsagent/cafe/music shop) is pretty shabby at setting up guitars.

I've had both my SG and my Tele set up in R'n'B before and good jobs were done. Was reasonably priced too. I do know that Huw's bass was set up there, but the job done wasn't quite as good their work on my guitars.

Captain Toms have offered some kind of repair service in the past (basic setups, inputs,etc), not sure if they still do them. I think the prices were similar to R'n'B. Could be worth an ask :up:

That shop boggled my mind the first time I went in. I was quite interested in the PIRATE brand guitars which I've never heard of before. The wood texture looks really cool, but I bet they are proper crappy, judging on the price 100-150.

Has anyone here had a set up from R&B? I've usually had a good job done by (mostly)second hand music shops like R&B, except Music Ground in Leeds who put on Power Slinky's without adjusting the bridge or the truss rods, and left my guitar almost bending at the nut. I took the strings off before my guitar exploded or something. The neck was almost warping and the strings were really far off the fretboard. I paid 50 for that set up including a two pickups fitting. I was displeased. When I bought the guitar (ESP Viper) the strings were so close to the fretboard, with the lowest action I've ever seen on a guitar. It was an absolute pleasure to play. Not anymore...

Holler

I've just moved here from Leeds

Leeds eh?

Well, you should know that my car is well alarmed and there's no lead on my house roof :laughing:

Anyway, welcome to the land where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

R&B do decent set-ups and Bruce Miller' s (weird place) do excellent scones!

All the best.

Paul

That shop boggled my mind the first time I went in. I was quite interested in the PIRATE brand guitars which I've never heard of before. The wood texture looks really cool, but I bet they are proper crappy, judging on the price 100-150.

Has anyone here had a set up from R&B? I've usually had a good job done by (mostly)second hand music shops like R&B, except Music Ground in Leeds who put on Power Slinky's without adjusting the bridge or the truss rods, and left my guitar almost bending at the nut. I took the strings off before my guitar exploded or something. The neck was almost warping and the strings were really far off the fretboard. I paid 50 for that set up including a two pickups fitting. I was displeased. When I bought the guitar (ESP Viper) the strings were so close to the fretboard, with the lowest action I've ever seen on a guitar. It was an absolute pleasure to play. Not anymore...

As long as you know what you want from the setup you should be fine. :)

ESP Vipers come from the factory with 10-46 so if that sways you compared to Power Slinkys (11-48) then make sure and let them (well, us :laughing:) know :)

:up:

As long as you know what you want from the setup you should be fine. :)

ESP Vipers come from the factory with 10-46 so if that sways you compared to Power Slinkys (11-48) then make sure and let them (well, us :laughing:) know :)

:up:

I told them what strings to put on. They didn't have any 10's in stock. I wasn't overly happy with them just putting thicker ones on. I'm pretty sure they just fitted the pickup, and slapped some strings on, with no setup, because the intonation is out past the 10th fret and on some open chords, and the action is just a joke.

if R&B do the same kind of job on me, I'm going to start kicking over cymbal stands and that big rack of guitar straps until they start doing it again properly.

Japow!

Karate are too good. Geoff Farina just owns. His new band Glorytellers are also very good. They have a Myspace somewhere. It sounds like acoustic Karate, with brushed drums and such. Real good.

Aberdeen isn't so grey. I can see the beach from my office window. The sea looks almost blue. Back when I was a lad, on my many trips to Blackpool, all I knew was brown and acid-green seafronts.

This is what I imagined Hawaii to look like.

Is the sea warm in Febraury?

Karate are too good. Geoff Farina just owns. His new band Glorytellers are also very good. They have a Myspace somewhere. It sounds like acoustic Karate, with brushed drums and such. Real good.

Aberdeen isn't so grey. I can see the beach from my office window. The sea looks almost blue. Back when I was a lad, on my many trips to Blackpool, all I knew was brown and acid-green seafronts.

Wow.:gringo:

it's the north sea, even in summer they recommend wearing a survival suit if you're going in.

not heard glorytellers but farina's solo stuff is very good. shall check it out when i get home later.

favourite karate album? i'm quite partial to the bed is in the ocean.

I can never pick a favourite. I'm more partial to there jazzy/bluesy stuff they did after The Bed Is In The Ocean. Some Boots and Unsolved are probably my favourites I guess.

The (fairly) new live album is also awesome! I didn't even know it'd come out til a few weeks ago. It's been out nearly a year!

I told them what strings to put on. They didn't have any 10's in stock. I wasn't overly happy with them just putting thicker ones on. I'm pretty sure they just fitted the pickup, and slapped some strings on, with no setup, because the intonation is out past the 10th fret and on some open chords, and the action is just a joke.

if R&B do the same kind of job on me, I'm going to start kicking over cymbal stands and that big rack of guitar straps until they start doing it again properly.

Japow!

D'Addario (nickel wound steel and also pure nickel), Ernie Ball, Rotosound, Dean Markley, Fender, Gibson Pure, Elixir.

Take your pick, we have them in 10s if that's what you'd want.

As long as you say you want a very low action (as low as you can get with no buzz), intonation sorted, frets polished etc. etc. then it'll be done :)

Oh, you work there?

Ignore what I said about kicking stuff over... ;) ;)

What kind of price am I looking at?

Also, what strings do you recommend? I've been using Ernie Ball's since forever. never strayed away except for acoustic strings. I've never thought about using anything else, just cos Ernie Ball seem quite prestigious, and CHEAP! Is there anything noticably better I should try.

And lastly, I'm having a bit of trouble recently with My guitar staying in tune. When I bend G, B or high E, it goes a couple of dots flat on my tuner, and I have to tune it back. The bottom three strings can take some bending and stay perfectly in tune. This is a very recent thing though, which is odd. When tuning the top three strings, the machine heads feel a little loose, as in they are alot easier to turn than they used to be? Can the machine heads be tightened or anything to stop the guitar coming out of tune when I bend notes?

Oh, you work there?

Ignore what I said about kicking stuff over... ;) ;)

What kind of price am I looking at?

Also, what strings do you recommend? I've been using Ernie Ball's since forever. never strayed away except for acoustic strings. I've never thought about using anything else, just cos Ernie Ball seem quite prestigious, and CHEAP! Is there anything noticably better I should try.

And lastly, I'm having a bit of trouble recently with My guitar staying in tune. When I bend G, B or high E, it goes a couple of dots flat on my tuner, and I have to tune it back. The bottom three strings can take some bending and stay perfectly in tune. This is a very recent thing though, which is odd. When tuning the top three strings, the machine heads feel a little loose, as in they are alot easier to turn than they used to be? Can the machine heads be tightened or anything to stop the guitar coming out of tune when I bend notes?

Depends how long it takes to get stuff done, setups usually about 20 all in I'd have said.

I prefer D'Addario strings, feel a bit different and sound a bit brighter. All depends what you want though :) The D'Addarios are marginally cheaper than the Ernie Balls too (a whopping 30p :laughing: )

Yeah the machine heads can be tightened. It might be the screw for the button itself that is slightly loose. Also, tuning slips can be caused by the strings being too old i.e. really needing changed. If you haven't restrung the guitar in a while (I recommend every 30 hours of playing time), then that may be contributing to the problem.

Hope that helps :)

The strings on there are about 3/4 weeks old. I changed the strings, as I say, about 3/4 weeks ago to try and fix the problem, but it still kept slipping out of tune on string bends.

You say D'addario sound brighter. Does that give them a trebley kind of twang to them? I usually go for a more gainey, metallic sound. I dunno if the strings will affect that... I don't know much about guitars. Amps are more my territory.

Right next to that big Leisure park. The very end of the Harbour industrial estate (I can also see Burger King and Asda out of my window). It's just round the corner from that Peeps Bar that was on Britians roughest pubs on Sky One. Anyone fancy a drink after work? ;)

You work right next to my girlfriend. Not that that's in anyway relevant to the thread, but I thought I'd just drop it in there... I tried to set up my own guitar once. That was a giggle. I fucked it up so bad I had to sell it to Cash Converters cos it was almost unplayable. Surprisingly they still gave me 90 for it.