aberdeen-music

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Glasgow Academy 4th May

french_disko

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steven Dedalus

Is he not a bit rubbish these days, though?

Don't get me wrong, I lived, breathed, ate and slept Nick Cave from the age of 17 - 24, but albums like 'Nocturama', and the double album just put me to sleep.

I bought "From Her to Eternity" on vinyl a few weeks ago, just to remind myself of how good he used to be.

But in all honesty, he bores me now. He's too safe, too respectable. Even when he's trying to be daring and violent ("Abbatoir Blues", Grinderman) it comes across as though he's picked up a book and studied how to do it before-hand, and I half expect him to include foot-notes from his research.

And the book was probably a biography of Nick Cave.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there. Enjoy the gig, I'm sure it will be amazing (and I actually mean that, I'm not just being sarcastic).

Don't get me wrong, I lived, breathed, ate and slept Nick Cave from the age of 17 - 24, but albums like 'Nocturama', and the double album just put me to sleep.

I bought "From Her to Eternity" on vinyl a few weeks ago, just to remind myself of how good he used to be.

But in all honesty, he bores me now. He's too safe, too respectable. Even when he's trying to be daring and violent ("Abbatoir Blues", Grinderman) it comes across as though he's picked up a book and studied how to do it before-hand, and I half expect him to include foot-notes from his research.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there. Enjoy the gig, I'm sure it will be amazing (and I actually mean that, I'm not just being sarcastic).

I think 35 years of not progressing would be more of a sin than having a career that's matured and progressed. I absolutely adore Boatman's Call and No More Shall We Part, Nocturama sucked big-time, and Abattoir Blues / Lyre Of Orpheus grew exponentially on me. If I want to listen to crazed, manic early material I listen to one of the crazed, manic early albums. I find Mr. Cave's output to be unique in that I can find an album to fit generally any mood I'm in as a result.

Grinderman confuses me, because the confident swagger displayed and lyrical confident scream out age-related crisis of identity, but having seen 'em live at ATP I've got to say it just *works* without seeming strained or forced, so I've become a convert.

In addition, his 'solo' shows are rambunctious affairs that plough through the back-catalogue (way back as far as Birthday Party) and get back to the basics you might be missing - So I'd recommend checking one of those out if you get a chance, Stephen :)

Guest Steven Dedalus
I think 35 years of not progressing would be more of a sin than having a career that's matured and progressed. I absolutely adore Boatman's Call and No More Shall We Part, Nocturama sucked big-time, and Abattoir Blues / Lyre Of Orpheus grew exponentially on me. If I want to listen to crazed, manic early material I listen to one of the crazed, manic early albums. I find Mr. Cave's output to be unique in that I can find an album to fit generally any mood I'm in as a result.

Grinderman confuses me, because the confident swagger displayed and lyrical confident scream out age-related crisis of identity, but having seen 'em live at ATP I've got to say it just *works* without seeming strained or forced, so I've become a convert.

In addition, his 'solo' shows are rambunctious affairs that plough through the back-catalogue (way back as far as Birthday Party) and get back to the basics you might be missing - So I'd recommend checking one of those out if you get a chance, Stephen :)

No, yer not wrong. I'd be more pissed off if he was still trying to be the Nick Cave of the Birthday Party, complete with expensive suit and moustache.

But I didn't really ever see him becoming quite as 'establishment' as he has become (I know that sounds stupid, but I can't think of another way of putting it...).

I guess I sort of hoped he'd grow old disgracefully, rather than becoming, to all extents and purposes, an academic.

I always thought he'd find new and surprising ways of being confrontational and confounding our expectations, but instead, he's simply become a 'well respected snger-songwriter'.

But I have heard loads of great reports about the live shows, and if I can muster it, I might make the trek to Dublin to see him (despite being a life-long fan, I have never once seen him in concert...)

• 2 months later...
Think me n' the missus will be megabusing it, unless Alun wants to give us a lift ;)

(It's Chris BTW, formerly "Jonny Lucifer")

Unfortunately a small situation has arisen that means I am unable to attend the Glasgow gig. So no lift for you, matey. Were I still going, you and your missus would have been welcome to the lift :)

Steven, you're a gent and a fine man.

Now that I've got that out the way, allow me to let rip at your post. 'The Lyre of Orpheus' is a work of absolute genius, perhaps even better than the near-perfect 'Boatman's Call'. He is still relevant, still daring. I think the Waterboys and the Bad Seeds are the only bands still consistently producing great music twenty-plus years on. Compare them with the likes of REM, who used to be unbelievable and are now perfunctory imposters.

Love from Christy

Steven, you're a gent and a fine man.

Now that I've got that out the way, allow me to let rip at your post. 'The Lyre of Orpheus' is a work of absolute genius, perhaps even better than the near-perfect 'Boatman's Call'. He is still relevant, still daring. I think the Waterboys and the Bad Seeds are the only bands still consistently producing great music twenty-plus years on. Compare them with the likes of REM, who used to be unbelievable and are now perfunctory imposters.

Love from Christy

I don't think you can put the Waterboys in the same league as the Bad Seeds! If we're being honest the Waterboys only really have one (Fisherman's Blues) or maybe 2 (This Is the Sea) good albums and the last one was horrific.