aberdeen-music

portishead

Stripey

Guest Giles Walker
I almost cried when I heard these clips, my whole perception of portishead has been shattered.

http://jruaux.free.fr/clips/Isaac_Hayes_-_Ikes_Rap_II.mp3

http://jruaux.free.fr/clips/Lalo_Schifrin_-_Danube_Incident.mp3

This just in:

Bands use samples in their music to make it sound better.

There were a million bands using samples around about that time so i can't really understand why you wouldn't have twigged that before dude.

Endtroducing was made completely of samples you know......

'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts' was made using samples, almost every jungle record, Burial's albums and many, many more.

You need to get out and dig in those crates man, you could have learned about this new 'sampling' craze a long time ago so you have some catching up to do.

lol

This just in:

Bands use samples in their music to make it sound better.

There were a million bands using samples around about that time so i can't really understand why you wouldn't have twigged that before dude.

Endtroducing was made completely of samples you know......

'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts' was made using samples, almost every jungle record, Burial's albums and many, many more.

You need to get out and dig in those crates man, you could have learned about this new 'sampling' craze a long time ago so you have some catching up to do.

lol

;P

I just didn't realise portishead were that lazy about it, I honestly thought there was a higher degree of sophistication present in what they were doing... I had read interviews with adrian utley and got the impression that he was some kind of incredible sample alchemist with all sorts of clever things going on in the the tracks.

I just wonder how much it cost them or their label to clear those samples and if they are still paying royalties?

I must say I'm also surprised you didn't realise the extent of the sampling on those tunes. Interesting point though -I can see why you're disappointed, given your interest (as I see it) in creating 'pure' sounds from scratch, but does this new found knowledge mean you enjoy listening to the tunes a bit less now? If they sounded good to you before, does knowing how they were made make them sound less good now?

I must say I'm also surprised you didn't realise the extent of the sampling on those tunes. Interesting point though -I can see why you're disappointed, given your interest (as I see it) in creating 'pure' sounds from scratch, but does this new found knowledge mean you enjoy listening to the tunes a bit less now? If they sounded good to you before, does knowing how they were made make them sound less good now?

Well I was 16 when I heard Dummy, and until now - over 10 years later - I still hadn't heard the original tracks they sampled. Even at that time though when I was using a tracker to write tunes I balked at the idea of sampling a whole 2/4/8 bars or whatever and basing a tune on that, its a massive (and expensive) cop out imo so yeah I feel somewhat cheated.

And no, I don't think I'll ever be able to appreciate that album in the same way again. There's no magic when it's revealed how the trick was done is there?

Guest Giles Walker

I remember when a friend came over to my parents house all excited about this crazy dj he had a tape by. It was a Mixmaster Mike live tape and i personally thought it was a bit sloppy and so to prove it i showed him (using my sloppy beat juggling skills) how to do one of the bits on the tape.

He was all "Jesus! is that all he was doing?" after that he didn't even want the tape back.

Once the magic is gone, it's gone for good most of the time.

In interviews at the time there was much discussion about the use of big samples, esp Portisheads use of the Isaac Hayes one as against Trickys (more inventive) use. I cant be arsed anymore with big Bar (or more)length loops, fuckin Mylo for one reason.

Mind you I have this Funkadelic loop right...

does it matter how long a loop is?

needless to say, the portishead song is a "new song" not just the sampled song, with singing over it!

you boys will paint yourself into a snob corner if you are not careful!

Nothing worse than cutting off your nose to spite your face.

(of course, I am not advocating "dropping any standards" and listening to any old shite, come on!)

Guest batterypowpow
I almost cried when I heard these clips, my whole perception of portishead has been shattered.

http://jruaux.free.fr/clips/Isaac_Hayes_-_Ikes_Rap_II.mp3

http://jruaux.free.fr/clips/Lalo_Schifrin_-_Danube_Incident.mp3

i didn't realise "sour times" was like that too.

does anybody else - once they hear the original track that's been sampled on a new song - end up only hearing the original track looped with some new sounds/vocals over it? rather than the complete song they heard before?

they sort of flip between each other in my head.

when I saw "the devils" (Ken Russel) I jumped up and down, as Scorn (Bullin) had sampled heaps of it...

I also get a bit too excited when I hear a skinny puppy "sample" from old films etc...

I think it's fun, nothing that'd make me want to stop listening to something, because it "becomes unpure"

Ah the thrill of sample spotting, always good to hear St Etienne's intros in their proper places, eg "Raise, Call or Fold" from 'House of Cards and the "I am Mark" from 'Peeping Tom', but where does "Daddy, can I go to the Hop?" before 'Junk the Morgue' come from?

Embrace the sampladelia, thats what makes 'Pauls Boutique' one of the highlights of Human civilization.

Guest Giles Walker

Man this thread kinda makes me feel sad.

Everybody samples music, it's just that nowadays people sample music that you guys will never hear about. The days of sampling artists like Isaac Hayes are totally over and the days of talking about it are now so fucking boring that it borders on torture.

Please can you guys go back to talking about some fucking 90s rock pish that has no relevance to what is going on musically today please?

Guest Giles Walker
Giles...

are you bi polar?!

...or someone has hijacked your PC!

Yeah i think i should refrain from posting on forums when i get in from the club, drunk and in the middle of the night.

But seriously, a thread revealing that there are samples on an album that is now 14 years old?

There was a lot of talk about it at the time, and something about Geoff whatsit getting samples/loops pressed onto vinyl and cutting them in, don't know if he did that or not. Anyway they did develop with the addition of Adrian Utley etc, its not how its made, its what you make of it etc. Anyway surely such preoccupation with means of production is very Rockist*, and not what you expect from the forward thinking.

*And Marxist I suppose, but lets leave that just now.

There was a lot of talk about it at the time, and something about Geoff whatsit getting samples/loops pressed onto vinyl and cutting them in, don't know if he did that or not. Anyway they did develop with the addition of Adrian Utley etc, its not how its made, its what you make of it etc. Anyway surely such preoccupation with means of production is very Rockist*, and not what you expect from the forward thinking.

*And Marxist I suppose, but lets leave that just now.

Richard Marxist?

"We used to walk down by the river

She loved to watch the sun go down....."