aberdeen-music

Yashin, MMW + support @ Drummonds

Inkster

So your saying when the trend dies the music will too?

Sure music has trends, some fade and some live on. Unfortuneatly in this day and age the music industry is 50% image, their "trend" is typical of their musical style if your going to stereotype.

Have punk trends died off from 30 odd years ago? I doubt certain bands will change their style because of fashion.

I don't know any of the members of your fears that well but I doubt it's a fashion or trend to them. From what I know or can perceive to know, they love what they do and will continue to do so whether it be a fad or not.

Why else would they bother to travel up and down Britain playing shitty little venues, selling merch etc? Just to make a quick buck and cash in on a current trend? I doubt it cos I doubt they're making any money out of it at all.

Everyone has their opinions about bands cos that's life but from what I can see, they'll continue to do what they do, fashion or no fashion.

If you want the scene to grow, you have to do some pruning. And if someone is of the opinion that a band is shite, they need to be able to say so. If the message gets through to the band, then hopefully they can strive to improve, or even just fuck off and let someone else have a go. Everyone being nice to each other and hiding what they really think does nobody any good.

best post ever

A monkey could analyze your posts in particular, with attacks that pretty much come out of thin air.

its nice that you are sticking up for your pals and the like (Comadreship in any music scene is a good thing). but erm, I havent attacked anybody here and I certainly havent attacked anybody because I am jealous of them and their band / johnny-come-lately scene.

and going back to your earlier point about the music "industry" being 50% image/pandering to image stereotypes; does this make it ok? Why should music be about an industry?

For the record I don't know any of the guys in YF, they come to our shows, we go to theirs; to show support. ..

That's... just smashing.

Reads like it might be a bit of a chore going to see bands with the sole reason of supporting an 'industry'. I'd rather go see the good ones (without discriminating between local and otherwise) and avoid the crap ones in the name of jolly good music.

I'm with Frosty Jack... the most honest, non-condescending thing to do is to give your truthful opinion of a person's music, constructive (if you really feel you're important enough to have some that matters) or otherwise.

That's... just smashing.

Reads like it might be a bit of a chore going to see bands with the sole reason of supporting an 'industry'. I'd rather go see the good ones (without discriminating between local and otherwise) and avoid the crap ones in the name of jolly good music.

I'm with Frosty Jack... the most honest, non-condescending thing to do is to give your truthful opinion of a person's music, constructive (if you really feel you're important enough to have some that matters) or otherwise.

Is it a chore if you enjoy the bands?

What exactly are you reading into all of this about an 'industry'. What I was saying is bands now actually have to make an effort in image due to many bands over the years being nothing but image and playing shite. Regardless whether you like the music or not whats the problem with the way bands look?

Frosty Jacks 'contribution' is weak. I can understand what he is saying but then why does know one say anything. Lets put it to test and see what the outcome is because all that has been said and done as an example; YF funnily enough are still going despite the critiscm.

Would you tell them to their faces or would you sit behind your keyboard and do it?

Is it a chore if you enjoy the bands?

What exactly are you reading into all of this about an 'industry'. What I was saying is bands now actually have to make an effort in image due to many bands over the years being nothing but image and playing shite. Regardless whether you like the music or not whats the problem with the way bands look?

Frosty Jacks 'contribution' is weak. I can understand what he is saying but then why does know one say anything. Lets put it to test and see what the outcome is because all that has been said and done as an example; YF funnily enough are still going despite the critiscm.

Would you tell them to their faces or would you sit behind your keyboard and do it?

I didn't say anything about image... I concentrated more on the 'let's have a big circle jerk over music we don't necessarily like simply because the creator lives round the corner from us' part of your argument. I'm not saying it's a chore if you enjoy the bands... enjoyment really should be the only reason you go to a gig in my opinion... not supporting some backslapping scene.

And it's not really relevant, but you'll be happy to know that I have on occasion confessed my disliking of Your Fears music to a member of the band. Do I win?

I didn't say anything about image... I concentrated more on the 'let's have a big circle jerk over music we don't necessarily like simply because the creator lives round the corner from us' part of your argument. I'm not saying it's a chore if you enjoy the bands... enjoyment really should be the only reason you go to a gig in my opinion... not supporting some backslapping scene.

And it's not really relevant, but you'll be happy to know that I have on occasion confessed my disliking of Your Fears music to a member of the band. Do I win?

It's not relevant but you backed such a weak statement in the first place... did you change anything?

What I was saying is bands now actually have to make an effort in image due to many bands over the years being nothing but image and playing shite. Regardless whether you like the music or not whats the problem with the way bands look?

My point was that these bands are "nothing but image and playing shite".

EDIT: I just want to clarify I'm not talking about one specific band here. Im talking about all the bands who are currently feeding off the side swepped fringe, ball cupping picture taking brand of metalcore that is currently overly abundant.

It's not relevant but you backed such a weak statement in the first place... did you change anything?

I hosed all over the 'You should support local musicians even if you are of the opinion that their music is genuinely pap' nonsense.

Heck, I even defended myself against your poor 'I bet you're not hard enough to tell bands you don't like their music to their faces' shtick. A resounding success!

'I havent attacked anybody here and I certainly havent attacked anybody because I am jealous of them and their band / johnny-come-lately scene'

well me and cranial seem to get plenty of completely unconstructive criticism from you and your 'I know it all, I AM THE MUSIC SCENE' attitude. Havent ever heard your band though, bet im really missing out.:laughing:

Can they not think for themselves?

its a dangerous occupation on these boards to think for yourself, as i have discovered from the bullshit ive got from you on more than one occasion because i have an OPINION i thought up MYSELF.....

And on the subject of people slagging off bands they dont like with the aim of gettin them to stop - Do you ever realise that some people might like the bands you dont, music is very much a matter of OPINION.

I do see that there are current trends in music, which i personally dont like, but each musical genre has its own 'image' , its unavoidable. Even the 'anti-image' is still an 'image'.

Remember in a shit overly cliquey music scene like aberdeen , bands of similiar genre have to stick together/help each other out. Being all aggressive and territorial about your 'scene'/area doesnt help anyone, including your own band.

My point was that these bands are "nothing but image and playing shite".

EDIT: I just want to clarify I'm not talking about one specific band here. Im talking about all the bands who are currently feeding off the side swepped fringe, ball cupping picture taking brand of metalcore that is currently overly abundant.

But before the 'metalcore' skinny jeans/sideswept fringe look there was emo (glasses, fringes, converses, etc)

Before that there was 'nu-metal' (baggy jeans, chain wallets, korn hoodies etc)

Before that there was grunge (torn jeans, checked shirts, messy hair etc)

Before that there was 80's rock/metal (denim and leather)

And it goes on.

Trends in music are always there, and image goes hand in hand with it.

But before the 'metalcore' skinny jeans/sideswept fringe look there was emo (glasses, fringes, converses, etc)

And it goes on.

Excactly. It's almost as if some people and perhaps Aberdeen itself keep a very closed mind regarding music as a contribution to all factors in life and in turn have a problem with that.

At the end of the day all music spawned from one thing. Back in those days everyone listened to same shit and had no problem with fashion this or that. No hatred incited for the way people looked or what they played, what an easy life... except for all the slavery.

And it goes on.

Exactly Dan. A lot of the bands that are following the current trend give the impression that they are just doing that. Following the latest thing and when it's no longer 'cool' they'll just go to the next bandwagon.

If the current trend is rammed down our throats from all angles of the media and people who play in local bands happen to like the latest trends and fashion, then surely that's gonna rub off and that's why they end up playing what they do?

It seems only the lucky few who've been on the go for a while since the last trend started and still playing the same music once the current trend has passed do they get any credit for not following the scene.

Who really cares though?! It's apparent quite alot of people do. People play in bands cos they want to and cos for them, it's fun! Regardless of whether it fits with what's cool in NME or is appearing on the latest edition of Kerrang, these people are enjoying themselves.

Music is about fun, so let them have their fun in the way they enjoy!