aberdeen-music

Vocal range!

Hog

' date=' post: 442420"']jesus.

he only (!) has four and a half octaves though. i heard mariah had 8 or something... that MUST be bollocks then no?

I think he might have the record for a male singer.

Mariah can fairly hit those notes! Shame her music is a pile of shite.

Mariah has 2 1/2 octaves if she is lucky, and even then her voice is unmatched so it sounds pish. She has no power at either extremes in her range. She is just a one trick pony, like many singers out there; no versatility whatsoever.

This bloke has a very big range, but he also has power and technique behind it, which makes all the difference.

Mariah has 2 1/2 octaves if she is lucky, and even then her voice is unmatched so it sounds pish. She has no power at either extremes in her range. She is just a one trick pony, like many singers out there; no versatility whatsoever.

This bloke has a very big range, but he also has power and technique behind it, which makes all the difference.

really? i see. so most singers are working with what: an octave and a half? i have noticed she has no power in the high stuff... but it does sound pretty.

what does matt bellamy have then? i heard he was like 8 too. he has a good range regardless and power in the high stuff from what i can hear.

' date=' post: 442425"']really? i see. so most singers are working with what: an octave and a half? i have noticed she has no power in the high stuff... but it does sound pretty.

what does matt bellamy have then? i heard he was like 8 too. he has a good range regardless and power in the high stuff from what i can hear.

Matt Bellamy is no doubt a brilliant vocalist but he does rely on falsetto quite a bit and he has hardly any low end.

What about Jeff Buckley? I heard a while ago (can't remember where) that he had a seven octave range or something. Doesn't really matter. His voice is/was great no matter how many octaves it is.

That's physically impossible. the entire range of a piano is 7 and a half octaves, are you trying to tell me that Jeff Buckley could sing all of those? 1 and half octaves is ok for an amateur, 2 and a half to three is pretty good, anything larger than that and people are either brilliant or lying.

Tom Waits has a 'reportedly' wide octave range. Not something that jumps due to the manner in which he uses his voice. He fair gets around those pesky octaves though

Totally agree. People usually associate Tom with the low stuff but he actually has a decent range.