aberdeen-music

Ordering amps from the USA

Huw

i was expecting the customs tax as i've been hit with that little bugger on numerouds occasions! included in my calculations. still works out a good bit cheaper than buying it over here.

i just phoned emerson williams and the guy said that some of the ampeg heads don't have 'export transformers' therefore can't be rewired.

eugh

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I've used my 110v amps here for a couple of years with a step down transformer that I bought at Maplin and they worked fine, sounded great. About 6 months ago I re-wired them with new transformers, but only because I got tired of carrying that extra thing.

Just make sure it can handle the 50hz electricity. Most stuff can, but still, pays to check.

' date=' post: 439975"']i emailed the ampeg boy and he said they all come with multi tap transformers. LIES!

Dennis said that he had an SVT4 in last week that had space on the board for one but there wasn't one wired in.

Anywhere closer to aberdeen?

I've done some reading on this, all new Ampegs come with the multi-tap transformer. It should just be a case of moving a few wires(about ten of them apparently) and hooking it up. I think this has something to do with Ampeg's new cost cutting measures. Make all the amps with the same components and then ship them out with whatever Voltage is needed for each country. Clever I think.

I'm hopefully going to talk my bass player into buying an SVT-4 Pro head next week. I've worked out a deal for around 470 delivered from the states. His budget is 400... I'm willing to throw in the postage cost. He's upgrading from an Ashdown Mag combo... and extra 100 isn't going to get him a whole lot of Amp(eg) in the UK... so I've been scouring the interweb for something decent. 470 is a fucking steal.

I've checked Thomann and they are 1099!!! o_O

Now... All I need to do is find someone selling a cheap 4x10 or 6x10... and we're cooking with gas! :D

I've done some reading on this, all new Ampegs come with the multi-tap transformer. It should just be a case of moving a few wires(about ten of them apparently) and hooking it up. I think this has something to do with Ampeg's new cost cutting measures. Make all the amps with the same components and then ship them out with whatever Voltage is needed for each country. Clever I think.

I'm hopefully going to talk my bass player into buying an SVT-4 Pro head next week. I've worked out a deal for around 470 delivered from the states. His budget is 400... I'm willing to throw in the postage cost. He's upgrading from an Ashdown Mag combo... and extra 100 isn't going to get him a whole lot of Amp(eg) in the UK... so I've been scouring the interweb for something decent. 470 is a fucking steal.

I've checked Thomann and they are 1099!!! o_O

Now... All I need to do is find someone selling a cheap 4x10 or 6x10... and we're cooking with gas! :D

really. well unfortunately soundy have got me tied down with this credit thing.

you can get the SVT3 off some ebay shops in the states for 250-300! GAK is 734 and thomann 712. its ridiculous.

so just to be sure: ALL new ampegs can be rewired to take power supplies in this country? this is what your saying.

According to Ampeg yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. I've also checked out a few forums and I've seen the same question asked by people in Australia(who also work on 230/240v) and they've had their amps changed to work in their country. Hell, if you look at the back of the SVT-450, it says 110/120v or 230/240v.

I've found this SVT-4 on a forum. The big bitch is on postage, some companies will rape you on that shit. Seriously. This guy who I'm getting the amp from has checked the amp and through him postage is $158... some company wanted to charge me $400. Insane!

The SVT-4 is above and beyond our needs, but it seems like a great piece of equipment. Even if it's not suited to my mate, he's going to be able to sell it at a profit.

According to Ampeg yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. I've also checked out a few forums and I've seen the same question asked by people in Australia(who also work on 230/240v) and they've had their amps changed to work in their country. Hell, if you look at the back of the SVT-450, it says 110/120v or 230/240v.

I've found this SVT-4 on a forum. The big bitch is on postage, some companies will rape you on that shit. Seriously. This guy who I'm getting the amp from has checked the amp and through him postage is $158... some company wanted to charge me $400. Insane!

The SVT-4 is above and beyond our needs, but it seems like a great piece of equipment. Even if it's not suited to my mate, he's going to be able to sell it at a profit.

See thats what i was told by Dino from ampeg too. But as i mentioned before the lad from emerson williams got an svt4 in not long ago and there was the space on the board for this but it wasnt there. or something to that effect anyway.

Just dont know if id want to risk it! But im probably just being a grippy bastard though.

I lug around an external power transformer(PT)... it's not the end of the world. It's either that, or an extra few hundred quid on an amp. You choose ;)

I got my Mesa Boogie head for 150... it has an external PT. I don't mind since I got it so cheap. After Xmas I'll be saving for another amp I think.