aberdeen-music

Shed Seven - Do they Rock or Not

sross90

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've reconsidered my personal britpop list and would like to add Manic Street Preachers and (controversially) radiohead. did I say supergrass? I can't be arsed looking....

I think that's it - there's nothing more from that era that I have in my collection.

it's interesting that most of the bands (with the exception of Pulp, who had been around for about 15 years anyway - and I suppose Jarvis is still at it) are still on the go and haven't split/reformed like the second tier bands such as Dodgy, Kula Shaker and Shed 7 have (maybe Supergrass were ahead of their time when they called their CD "We're in it for the money").

i'm struggling to think of any more bands from that time... was it that forgettable?

I find the debate about shed 7 / oasis sounding different because one is a stones rip off and the other a beatles rip off a bit laughable, to be honest - let's face it, none of the britpop bands were exactly drawing heavily from any other sources anyway were they? Unless I missed the Kraftwerk influenced album by Marion, that is, or Sleeper's appropriation of Public Enemy's Hank Shocklee & The Bomb Squad's produced LPs.

Guest idol_wild

I find the debate about shed 7 / oasis sounding different because one is a stones rip off and the other a beatles rip off a bit laughable

My personal opinion has always been that Oasis drew more from The Rolling Stones than they ever did The Beatles. And T-Rex. So there. Actually I never quite got the Beatles connection - apart from the haircuts.

Guest idol_wild
Don't get me wrong i'll concede that they are akin to each other in certain elements of their music but you wouldn't put on a Shed Seven album and go "That sounds like Oasis" and vice-versa.

We'll come to an agreement there then. :up:

I'm not trying to stress that they are identical - merely quite similar. Not just with the overall 'sound' but also the way they crafted their songs.

But my argument never was that they were identical. In fact, I only started arguing that they sounded similar when a couple of people suggested they sounded nothing alike. :]

Guest Steven Dedalus

I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this, but These Animal Men were never Britpop!

They were knocking about from about 1990, and were part of that ridiculous "New wave of new wave" thing, alongside SMASH and someone else.

And if memory serves, they were dead and buried by about '96 or '97 anyway.

And they were appalling, but that's neither here nor there.

Sorry, I'm just waiting for my hair to dry, and couldn't resist it.

I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this, but These Animal Men were never Britpop!

They were knocking about from about 1990, and were part of that ridiculous "New wave of new wave" thing, alongside SMASH and someone else.

And if memory serves, they were dead and buried by about '96 or '97 anyway.

And they were appalling, but that's neither here nor there.

Sorry, I'm just waiting for my hair to dry, and couldn't resist it.

Their last EP was very Britpop, though their first and second albums are probably more akin to the "New Wave of New Wave" but most of the bands associated with that were Bripop-esque anyway.

Most of the big Britpop bands stands started as the early 1990s as well.

The other band you're thinking of isn't Mantaray is it?

Other notable Britpop bands as far as i'm concerned:

St Etienne

The Auteurs

Elastica

The Bluetones

Cast

The Boo Radleys (of course they defected to Britpop really from a more shoe-gazey sound)

Gene

Space

Menswe@r

Echobelly

Northern Uproar

Salad

These Animal Men

Britpop was a great era of revival for British music.

And neither can I!

Although Alkaline did say "as far as I'm concerned," I'd like to chuck in my tuppence worth and say that I also don't consider St Etienne, The Auteurs, The Bluetones, and Cast as Britpop because, if memory serves me well, they all had releases prior to Britpop becoming a nomenclature.

Opinion = Clitoris: Every cunt has one

And neither can I!

Although Alkaline did say "as far as I'm concerned," I'd like to chuck in my tuppence worth and say that I also don't consider St Etienne, The Auteurs, The Bluetones, and Cast as Britpop because, if memory serves me well, they all had releases prior to Britpop becoming a nomenclature.

Opinion = Clitoris: Every cunt has one

Hmm, Cast's "All Change" came out at the start of Britpop really. St Etienne definitely had one album out before Britpop started but "So Tough" and "Tiger Bay" have elements of Britpop in them. The Bluetones were part of the second wave of Britpop. and i would say that "New Wave" and "No I'm a Cowboy" by The Auteurs were both very Britpoppy and came out at the start of the Britpop movement too.

First Britpop release that i remember is "Popscene" by Blur. That was in 1992.

Hmm, Cast's "All Change" came out at the start of Britpop really. St Etienne definitely had one album out before Britpop started but "So Tough" and "Tiger Bay" have elements of Britpop in them. The Bluetones were part of the second wave of Britpop. and i would say that "New Wave" and "No I'm a Cowboy" by The Auteurs were both very Britpoppy and came out at the start of the Britpop movement too.

First Britpop release that i remember is "Popscene" by Blur. That was in 1992.

Ah but my recollection of Britpop was when I first heard it being used as a genre was in the mid 90s. My pedantry would be to call that 1995 onwards. :p

However Wikipedia proves me a little bit out in my reckoning...

Britpop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cast were definitely Britpop, no question.

Some others that I would say were Britpop, even if only because they were championed by Chris Evans:

Catatonia

Ash

Mansun

Space

Republica

Echobelly

The Boo Radleys

Personally, as someone who was 17/18/19 while all this was going on in the mid 90s, I thought it was a greart time for music, but then I was used to hearing all these bands in places around town at the time while out having a good time.

Mansun

Personally, as someone who was 17/18/19 while all this was going on in the mid 90s, I thought it was a greart time for music, but then I was used to hearing all these bands in places around town at the time while out having a good time.

I do not know how i forgot them!! I love Mansun.

It was the same for me, though i was 2 years younger 15/16/17 and despite my proclivity for heavy metal, grunge and death metal i reveled in Britpop at the time too.