aberdeen-music

Great Britain Olympic Football Team

Shaki

I don't understand all the fuss. Fifa have said it wouldn't affect the individual nations autonomy in world football which seems to be the SFA's problem with it. Why not then? Can't see myself caring about the team but it would be a good experience for the players involved and a grand day out for Union Jack wavers. Am I right in thinking that the players have to be under 23 to compete?

I think the main problem with the Gb football team will be the fact that the majority of the players will be English. Inside sport had a mock up of what they thought the team would be if the London Olympics were tomorrow, and they managed to have one player from Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales while the bulk of the squad was English. The selection panel would have to have a representative from every nation to stop the chances of that happening.

I wouldn't have much of an interest either, just find it an interesting debate/reaction which I think shows a persecution complex and massive chip on the shoulder that some Scots have.

If the majority of the players were English because they were the best players available then so be it (clearly from a footballing perspective that's up for debate). It's not like the 100 metres relay team has to have 1 representative from each country so why would the football team be any different? You didn't hear English people bleating that the gold medal winning women's curling team was predominantly (or entirely?) Scottish......I did hear some Scots bleating that "it was a bloody Scottish team that won those medals, nae a British team" though.

You didn't hear English people bleating that the gold medal winning women's curling team was predominantly (or entirely?) Scottish......I did hear some Scots bleating that "it was a bloody Scottish team that won those medals, nae a British team" though.

Yeah but if they had lost and not won any medals at all they would have been a Scottish team to everyone in the media. Just like Lewis Hamilton would have been English had he won the F1 championship, instead of British cause he came second. Once more it's all down to how the media spin it.

I stand by the SFA's 'Ower my deid body' stance but at the same time it disnae bither me.

The only concern I have with it is, should it get green lit, if Olympic Gold was won then there's a high possibility of Great Britain being spelt E-N-G-L-A-N-D by the press and pundits alike. It would be another achievement to follow in 1966's vast shadow.

I think the main problem with the Gb football team will be the fact that the majority of the players will be English. Inside sport had a mock up of what they thought the team would be if the London Olympics were tomorrow, and they managed to have one player from Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales while the bulk of the squad was English. The selection panel would have to have a representative from every nation to stop the chances of that happening.

MOTD or football focus had one and they managed 10 players from england under 23 and 1 scot then replaced the scot with lampard 8o presume there would be rules to prevent this tho.