aberdeen-music

Questions...

Guest Satyam Shivam Sundaram

Is the Aberdeen music scene reliant on this web site?

Is there actually an Aberdeen Music scene?

Are the majority of Aberdeen bands just inferior clones of their favourite musical heroes?

Why is Moshulu/HJB's so blatant with their allowance of underagers on nights that are for 18 +?

No

Yes

No, there are a few diamonds in the rough, but still quite a lot of pish

Moshulu would have nothing to gain by knowingly letting under agers into the club, other than a revoked license. And lets be fair, it's not always easy to tell how old a lot of alt-types really are.

No(until recently dedalus were non existent on this website but it didn't stop us getting gigs and being part of the scene)

YES

No, i'd say the majority of good bands in aberdeen have stamped their own style on what they do. even the likes of the iron maiden worshipping black atom have their own sound within that sound. there is also a healthy dose of bands who are seeking out a unique style and sound within aberdeen. there is however, a lot of shit bands.

None of my business, though i'd say they don't blatantly allow it. just it's tough telling how old kids are, the bouncers on friday were quite rude when refusing entry to some friends of mine but in the main they were doing their job and asking for id. they did look very young and didn't have id and some may have been underage. so i don't think it's a policy of theirs to let in underagers.

Originally posted by daveofficer:

No(until recently dedalus were non existent on this website but it didn't stop us getting gigs and being part of the scene)

YES

No, i'd say the majority of good bands in aberdeen have stamped their own style on what they do. even the likes of the iron maiden worshipping black atom have their own sound within that sound. there is also a healthy dose of bands who are seeking out a unique style and sound within aberdeen. there is however, a lot of shit bands.

None of my business, though i'd say they don't blatantly allow it. just it's tough telling how old kids are, the bouncers on friday were quite rude when refusing entry to some friends of mine but in the main they were doing their job and asking for id. they did look very young and didn't have id and some may have been underage. so i don't think it's a policy of theirs to let in underagers.

Good post young Dave!

Originally posted by Satyam Shivam Sundaram:

Is the Aberdeen music scene reliant on this web site?

Is there actually an Aberdeen Music scene?

Are the majority of Aberdeen bands just inferior clones of their favourite musical heroes?

Why is Moshulu/HJB's so blatant with their allowance of underagers on nights that are for 18 +?

Actually this is an interesting topic...

Hats off to Satyam and Mr Officer.

Discuss!

1) Website is in no way a correlative of the entire scene. I know many people who are in bands who simply don't even know of this website's existence as far as I can tell.

2)Of course there is a music scene. Look around you.....just....look around you. I think Aberdeen must have a slightly above average sized scene per head of scenester doesn't it? I don't know.

3) Some are, but not the majority.

4) I saw a kid in Moshulu a few weeks ago on a Saturday night who honestly looked like a 12 year old quireboy...wait a minute...it was the kid from the x-certs. Well done kid, that's what I say.

1) No, but it's a great resource and it's definitely helped get the interest up. Evidence for this is the amount of users who are not from the local area...

2) Not sure, but there's a fuck load of bands around, some with some real potential if they could just stay formed for more than 6 months!! :D

3) Not as many as there used to be I'd say, but of course folk have to take their inspiration from somewhere. Bands are developing all the time and I'm feeling rather positive about the whole Aberdeen music thing at the moment. People from outside Aberdeen are pretty amazed at the amount of venues, bands and gig-coups up here. Would be interesting to hear from some of our elder statesmen on here - is it better than the early 90s when there seemed to be a good few bands getting themselves known around the UK?

4) Don't think this is a problem just for Moshulu. Think about it, the Palace was the same if not more of a problem. If it bugs you, perhaps you're getting too old for the place!! :D

Good thread!

Originally posted by ghost:

4) Don't think this is a problem just for Moshulu. Think about it, the Palace was the same if not more of a problem. If it bugs you, perhaps you're getting too old for the place!! :D

Good thread!

I remember going to the Mudder about 1995 with a some mates, and one of my mates wee brothers. He was 16 at the time. When asked for ID he repied "the dog ate it...........along with my homework" The bouncer pissed himself laughing and let him in. The following week he ID'd all of us, except him, and guess who the only underager in the party was? It's all to shit.

My sis got ID'd in Lava and she's 27.