aberdeen-music

Scotland 2007 (fitba) Thread

Shaki

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding right? What about the white one with the purple zig zags? There's been some horrible away kits for scotland before, that's not one of them.

Purple zig zags are purple zig zags. This monstrosoty bastardises the saltire. The saltire is a white cross on a navy blue background. Nae a light blue cross on a white background. It's sacrilege and therefore the worst strip ever.

about as much as we could have hoped for really. we certainly didnt disgrace ourselves and tried to attack, but thats always going to be hard against the back four of the Italians.

still on the plus side, i had a fiver on 2-0 Italy with Luca Toni grabbing the first at 16/1. 85 for the traitoring bastards i am :)

It's always a scream when folk comment on Miller's "work rate" and "team play" compared with Boyd's "lazy attitude" and lack of "team play." Where did Millers hard work get us last night? It means nothing. Nothing at all. I'd far rather have someone poaching in front of goal getting support from the wings. Boyd does this effectively.

Simple fact is that Kenny Miller could have ran over every blade of grass last night till midnight and still wouldn't have had a chance in hell of getting past Matterazi and Cannavaro. He was back defending for periods last night for fuck's sake. What's the point in playing fitba if your only centre forward is defending? How are you going to score? I think the decision to play a lone Kenny Miller contributed to the fact Italy never broke a sweat last night. I don't have any personal beef with Miller it's just that he always seems to run about like a headless chicken and his first touch does let him down badly at times. He's almost like an enhanced Darren Mackie at times. The fact that McLeish decided to play two of the most woeful Scottish players around on the wings never helped the situation. Teale is just atrocious full stop and McCulloch has no pace and despite being touted as a "physical presence" failed to win anything and just gave away needless fouls which the Italians were all set to dive to at every time.

At least with Boyd you have a lazy poacher who will not track back and always be in a goal scoring situation. Miller, despite being our only STRIKER on the pitch was pulled backwards, forwards and out to the wings. When your only striker is doing all that who is there to put the ball in the back o the net? Argh - it's so frustrating!

Personally I don't agree with one up front - it rarely works and only will if you get quality service from the wide areas. Something we were sorely lacking. Surprises me to say it, but we did miss McFadden's creativity and ability to run at defenders.

I could go into a rant about how simply shocking it is that McNamara, a man who has played little football this season and officialy "retired" from international football and Christian Dailly, who has made sparodic sub appearances for West Ham can find themselves in the sqaud while players who have performed at a high level week in week out are shunned. But what's the point? Scotland's as much of an old pal's act nowadys as Jimmy C is at Pittodrie. Anderson should give up trying - what's the point? I heard today that he is nae happy at all and I can't blame him. Other players like Hutton, Burke, Hart and Naismith deserve a place in the squad but won't have a chance. Weir was totally found out for the second goal - how can he still get a game???!!!

And as much as it pains me to say it Ferguson was the best outfield player in a white shirt. Worst strip ever, by the way. But as far as MOTM awards go I would have given it to Gordon for his two fine saves keeping the score respectable.

Scotland never fail to let themsleves down with this defensive shite. And I still think the starting 11 could be much better. Would rather have been solidliy beaten and had a go at Italy than going out with a whimper having one weak shot at goal all 90 minutes.

Miller is an "enhanced Mackie" I agree! Playing Boyd would have been completely pointless though. There's no point playing a poacher in a game where it's unlikely that many chances will fall at his feet. Every player was always going to be required to track back and I thought Miller did pretty well given his thankless task. Every player that was selected battled away very well which was exactly what was required.

I thought the tactics were good and as positive as you can be in a game like that. You can split hairs about the personnel but it woudn't have changed the outcome. We were playing the World Champions on their turf and they needed a win. I'm glad we were composed throughout and only lost by 2.

It will be interesting to see who is selected for the Faroes game. Hopefully the "battlers" will be replaced by guys with a bit of flair and penetration like Burke and Maloney. McFadden and Fletcher will hopefully be back too. We missed them over the 2 games.

Big Eck gets a thumbs up from me. Carry on :up:

With any luck, that will be David Weir's last game in a Scotland shirt.

All too predictable: Itay nick early goal, Italy pass opponents off park, Italy come out firing second half, Italy kill game.

At least my bet on the Englanders came off (Gerrard first score, 3-0 win, 33/1, five pounds stake, first round on me tomorrow night, etc), that's me on a coupon hat trick!

Oh, to be Northern Irish......

With regards to the Miller/Boyd issue, there were at least 3 times when the ball was put across the goal and no-one was in a good positon to meet it. Had Boyd been on the pitch instead of Miller then perhaps he'd have been able to reach those. Even if he did nothing else all game it would have been worth his inclusion had we gotten a goal or two.

With regards to the Miller/Boyd issue, there were at least 3 times when the ball was put across the goal and no-one was in a good positon to meet it. Had Boyd been on the pitch instead of Miller then perhaps he'd have been able to reach those. Even if he did nothing else all game it would have been worth his inclusion had we gotten a goal or two.

we'll never know will we? thats one of the many great things about footy the endless ifs and buts!!!

I still think you'd have needed Millers movement to create these chances, we really could have used 12 players.