aberdeen-music

Scotland 2007 (fitba) Thread

Shaki

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Ma's but you always get a group of idiots who walk in late and stand right at the front, blocking everyone behind them's view of the screen.

Dunno if I'll go to the pub tomorrow. My finances are against me.

That's why I go to the snug bar in Ma's. Plus I know most people in there.

I'm a bit skint myself.... may be a loaning of money night till Friday. Been an expensive month (fucking cars).

won't be able to see the scotland game as the BBC are (naturally) showing Northern Ireland v Sweden over here which should be a good game nonetheless. good luck to scotland anyways.

It's on BBC 1 Scotland and BBC 2 in the rest of the UK if that helps?

I watched the France and Gerogia games in the Forum which was packed with an excellent atmosphere both times. Presume they'll be showing the game tomorrow. As it's on BBC I'll be saving the pennies and watching at home.

As Ross said, I too will support the team that is selected with as much passion irrespective of the selection. It's fun to guess and suggest though...

It's on BBC 1 Scotland and BBC 2 in the rest of the UK if that helps?

sadly not, if i had sky digital i could pick it up but cant receive it where i live or even freeview. commentary might be on five live sports extra though so i can listen to the game whilst watching northern ireland.

I watched the France and Gerogia games in the Forum which was packed with an excellent atmosphere both times. Presume they'll be showing the game tomorrow. As it's on BBC I'll be saving the pennies and watching at home.

I was in the forum for the France game. I just remember when the goal went in the whole place was awash with beer and people were all over the place. Would settle for the same again tonight.

Scotland team (likely): Gordon, Alexander, Pressley, Weir, Naysmith, Dailly, Brown, Ferguson, Hartley, McCulloch, Miller.

"Inside Big Eck's Head" by Shaki...available in all good book stores soon.

Actually, that title's a bit dodgy o_O

If you can get inside Big Eck's head could you replay some of the sitters that Millers missed in the past few months.

Hopefully he'll just use him to try to run the defence ragged a bit, then put on someone who can hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

slightly concerned by Eck's decision to play Miller instead of Boyd alone up front. It's just a shame that in a game like this we have no choice but to lose a forward in order to add the security of an extra CB/holding midfielder. I just hope we dont sit 10 men behind the ball and try to play for a point instead of going out there with confidence and playing our own game.

but like RossP said; Whoever gets picked is going to get my full support (as they should). For some reason I've got a good feeling about tonight...

i would imagine scotland will go out with the intention of not getting beat, italy need the win more than scotland. a draw would be a fantastic result against the current world champions!!! but they should be looking to hit italy on the counter attack mind, defend too deep and you'd fancy italy to score. and we all know how good the italiens are holding onto a 1-0 lead!!! should be a fascinating game, as usual in these affairs first 20 mins is crucial.

suprised meself that miller has been chosen ahead of boyd.

Miller has been alright for us over the last few games, Boyd doesn't do anything but score, his hold up play is a joke for his size and he doesn't have the pace or stamnia for chasing the ball into corners etc. Its to big a risk to play to hope that he might put away one or two of the clear chances we get. Miller has in the past.

I can see why he's playing Daily, if we lose a goal earlier he'll probably move into midfield to let Hartley/SideBall get further forward. Would have kept McManus instead of Pressley, he did play well against Milan and i don't think Pressley would have done any better for the Kaka goal.

To be honest its just great to still be in it at this stage of the group, having played the three top teams after tonight!

shame scotland got beat but they were always going to struggle after losing an early goal. watched the northern ireland game - they were fantastic again, was listening to the england game they were their usual hopeless self against one of the worst sides in international football.

I'm actually gutted Scotland lost tonight. I'm no figure-head on the matter but I really thought we played some nice, slick, European Style football tonight at times. It shows just how far we have come since the Vogtster left.. I was impressed with the close control and temprement we managed to show - knowing we were facing the World Champs seemed to be a good thing for us and if it wasn't for some OAP defending, litterally, we might have stole something.

Miller upfront on his own?

It's a hit or a miss with him, sometimes he'll play magic like he did tonight, and other times he'll be thrown about like a wet rag. When I seen Boydie had been left out I was happy, cos he's basically the equivalent of Luca Toni and we didn't have the supply for him tonight, but Miller's someone who will run from start to finish and give you an honest shift regardless of how well he plays and sometimes it pays off when he scores, bit unlucky tonight though.

Naysmith - Weir - McManus - Alexander ?

I've never, ever been a fan of any of these players, maybe McManus will do well for us in the future but they seem to be the grey players who have done nothing for me in terms o internationals. Weir is a good defender but he's not sharp enough - same with McManus, he was awol for Toni's first and was sloppy at the second. Naysmith can't go past the halfway line or he'll self-destruct and just who is this Alexander guy who seems to win a place in the squad everytime. I don't think I've seen him do anything other than take a throw-in.

It's about time Anderson got his recognition in the team. He's the perfect foil for Pressley. Elvis is the skull-fracturing type while Anderson is one of the best readers of the game and would mop up anything that came his way. Naysmith needs to be replaces for Hutton or Wilson. With Alexander and Hart of Aberdeen swapping places - ANYONE saying Hart is not good enough needs to step the fuck back and look again :D

But aye, I'm well happy wih the progress were making. Here's my simulation of how things may or may not pan out, and the final league standings should it happen.

Faroe Islands V Italy - Italy Win

Lithuania V Georgia - Draw

France V Ukraine - France Win

France V Georgia - France Win

Lithuania V Italy - Draw

Faroe Islands V Scotland - Scotland Win

Georgia V Ukraine - Ukraine Win

Scotland V Lithuania - Scotland Win

Italy V France - Italy Win

Ukraine V Italy - Draw

France V Scotland - France Win

Lithuania V Faroe Islands - Lithuania Win

Scotland V Ukraine - Scotland Win

Italy V Georgia - Italy Win

Faroe Islands V France - France Win

Georgia V Scotland - Scotland Win

Ukraine V Faroe Islands - Ukraine Win

France V Lithuania - France Win

Lithuania V Ukraine - Ukraine Win

Scotland V Italy - Draw

Italy V Faroe Islands - Italy Win

Georgia V Lithuania - Lithuania Win

Ukraine V France - Draw

TOP 4 (Current)

Ukraine 5 4 0 1 12

Scotland 6 4 0 2 12

France 5 4 0 1 12

Italy 5 3 1 1 10

TOP 4 (Final Table?)

--France 12 9 1 2 27

Scotland 12 8 1 3 25

----Italy 12 7 4 1 25

Ukraine 12 7 2 3 23

Wishfull thinking likie, but I would love to go the Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium! :up:

Scotland were desperately inconvenienced by Italy putting out a team consisting solely of better players than we had :(

I think it was probably the most fair result. Italy were gunning for a win, and we weren't completely destroyed. No shame in being defeated by Italy at their home.

absolutely no shame at all. it was always going to be tough to get something out the game.

Ferguson and Hartley were abysmal last night. How Ferguson got MOTM is anyones guess. Hartleys distribution was WOEFUL at free kicks. I don't think he found one of our players once.

The defence is too slow too and the first goal was schoolboy defending. McManus looked totally out of his depth, which to be fair he is (what was that, his 3rd cap? so lets not be too harsh). Weir and Alexander were skinned countless times and we really need to look at replacements for these guys. Naysmith is solid enough though.

Maloney looked lively when he came on and put some good balls into the box.

Lets be honest, Teale and McCulloch are simply journeymen and Kenny Miller worked his socks off but lacks a first touch which sadly isn't good enough at this level.

We looked shaky and only started to string some passes together once we went a goal behind. The play acting of Toni the entire game was a bit of a joke though.

Gordon was outstanding. And Brown had a great 60mins or so too.

Still, I wasn't expecting anything other than a defeat. We'll just have to beat them at Hampden.

Ferguson and Hartley were abysmal last night. How Ferguson got MOTM is anyones guess.

He was our best outfield player across the 90. I can't stand Ferguson but I thought he had a good game last night. Most of our best "chances" involved him in some way and I thought he looked our most creative player.

Having said that he was absolutely gash on Saturday and having had his one good game for this year I expect him to return to his disappearing act against the faroes.

Ferguson and Hartley were abysmal last night. How Ferguson got MOTM is anyones guess.

The play acting of Toni the entire game was a bit of a joke though.

Cos McCall is an absolute blue nose w@nk. He does nothing to hide it!

Yep, thats what you gotta expect though and thats why Miller should have went down when he got a slight clip in the box!

since northern ireland was the only part of the UK who didnt get the Scotland game didnt see it but they showed a few highlights on match of the day so hard to draw a proper conclusion on the match. on what they showed scotland created the odd chance and gordon was outstanding as usual - the italiens just had that bit of extra class you'd expect from the world champions though the defending for the first goal was poor.

tbh i was happy watching the northern ireland game - the atmosphere at windsor park was electric and the brit micks didnt allow sweden to play their normal game. they chased and hurried after everything and really really wanted it. it was a really even game, sweden who went into the match with a 100% record in the group looked ragged at times and really didn't know what had hit them. and coming back from a goal behind an all.

and david healy?? what can you say 2 more superb goals both taken with class. dennis wise was at the game and in an half time interview (whilst the crowd were singing 'are you watching dennis wise?' most amusing) explained he had done well for leeds (11 in 27) but hit the post n bar an awful lot! when he plays for northern ireland they just seem to go in and against the bigger teams an all. i can't believe he's not in the premiership surely he will be next season.

here's a link to the match highlights if you missed it, sorry its in swedish its all i could find on you tube but you'll get the drift!

YouTube - Northern Ireland vs Sweden qualification Euro 2008 28.3.2007

It's always a scream when folk comment on Miller's "work rate" and "team play" compared with Boyd's "lazy attitude" and lack of "team play." Where did Millers hard work get us last night? It means nothing. Nothing at all. I'd far rather have someone poaching in front of goal getting support from the wings. Boyd does this effectively.

Simple fact is that Kenny Miller could have ran over every blade of grass last night till midnight and still wouldn't have had a chance in hell of getting past Matterazi and Cannavaro. He was back defending for periods last night for fuck's sake. What's the point in playing fitba if your only centre forward is defending? How are you going to score? I think the decision to play a lone Kenny Miller contributed to the fact Italy never broke a sweat last night. I don't have any personal beef with Miller it's just that he always seems to run about like a headless chicken and his first touch does let him down badly at times. He's almost like an enhanced Darren Mackie at times. The fact that McLeish decided to play two of the most woeful Scottish players around on the wings never helped the situation. Teale is just atrocious full stop and McCulloch has no pace and despite being touted as a "physical presence" failed to win anything and just gave away needless fouls which the Italians were all set to dive to at every time.

At least with Boyd you have a lazy poacher who will not track back and always be in a goal scoring situation. Miller, despite being our only STRIKER on the pitch was pulled backwards, forwards and out to the wings. When your only striker is doing all that who is there to put the ball in the back o the net? Argh - it's so frustrating!

Personally I don't agree with one up front - it rarely works and only will if you get quality service from the wide areas. Something we were sorely lacking. Surprises me to say it, but we did miss McFadden's creativity and ability to run at defenders.

I could go into a rant about how simply shocking it is that McNamara, a man who has played little football this season and officialy "retired" from international football and Christian Dailly, who has made sparodic sub appearances for West Ham can find themselves in the sqaud while players who have performed at a high level week in week out are shunned. But what's the point? Scotland's as much of an old pal's act nowadys as Jimmy C is at Pittodrie. Anderson should give up trying - what's the point? I heard today that he is nae happy at all and I can't blame him. Other players like Hutton, Burke, Hart and Naismith deserve a place in the squad but won't have a chance. Weir was totally found out for the second goal - how can he still get a game???!!!

And as much as it pains me to say it Ferguson was the best outfield player in a white shirt. Worst strip ever, by the way. But as far as MOTM awards go I would have given it to Gordon for his two fine saves keeping the score respectable.

Scotland never fail to let themsleves down with this defensive shite. And I still think the starting 11 could be much better. Would rather have been solidliy beaten and had a go at Italy than going out with a whimper having one weak shot at goal all 90 minutes.